Bones- Does Renaming Work Differently in 4.9? SOLVED

NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
edited April 2017 in The Commons

I've found this post on renaming bones, and I had gone into Joint Editor and putzed around, not finding a way to change the names. I tried what this said to do, I have the item (bone) selected in Scene, and went to the dropdown of it in Joint Editor, it is indeed highlighted. But right clicking on that gets me nothing, as in, nothing happens. Is it different in 4.9? How do I rename bones?

Post edited by Novica on

Comments

• Where are you right-clicking?

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited April 2017

Exactly like the tutorial. In Joint Editor, on the highlighted bone (like where it says Left Leg Upper, in the tutorial.) And right clicking doesn't do anything. No dropdown. I also have the bone selected in Scene.

Post edited by Novica on

So any ideas?  If it won't open up a menu, then what?

• Extremely odd, as I have 4.9.3.166 and it's working fine for me.

edited April 2017

Great. Is definitely not working. From the start, this one was a create a bone (adding one) so then I had to assign a face group, (create face group from selected, with the polygons selected) and assign the face group to the bone. So it's set up correctly, when I close the eye of that bone, the group disappears. When I move the bone, again, it is correct, that area moves. So I don't know why I can't rename it. 

So what's the easiest way to duplicate that face group and bone, so I can name it, but delete the first one? Or can that be done?

Post edited by Novica on
  • If you right-click in the viewport (it doesn't matter whether it's on the boen or not) do you get the menu?

edited April 2017

Aha- I am seeing a menu- you're brilliant!  It says rename node for one of the options, I assume that's it? 

Post edited by Novica on
  • Yes, that should be it.

Thanks much!!!! yes

edited April 2017

I've started a Rigging and Weight Mapping thread over in Art Studio, after seeing threads throughout the years when Googling an answer on this. Going to put my questions in one place, and hopefully anyone else who wants to start learning/ knows how can answer questions and it will be on one thread. I'm indexing it in the second post of that thread to help people find the topics faster. 

It's not a tutorial thread per se, there are two or more really good products that already do that (mentioned in the thread) but if you tackle rigging and weight mapping, feel free to ask questions when you get stuck or have a tip or two to share.

Thanks again Richard! 

Post edited by Novica on