DAZ 4.5 Constantly crashes on MAC

Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327

Has anyone else found a solution to the MAC OSx version of DAZ crashing? I am running the latest build 4.5.1.56 Pro 64Bit on OSx 10.6.8

At this point even just starting with a blank project and applying any figure type DAZ crashes.

Thanks.

Post edited by Geminii23 on

Comments

• GhostofMacbethGhostofMacbeth Posts: 1,550
    edited February 2013

I think I am running the same and I am pretty stable. Only crashed twice in the last couple of months I think. Good for me, I know. ;) What are your computer specs?

Post edited by GhostofMacbeth on
  • rek_2158272rek_2158272 Posts: 0
    edited February 2013

DS is running pretty stable on my Mac as well. I'm on 10.8.2. Maybe that makes a difference.
    Anyways. I suggest repairing disk permissions and the periodical scripts manually to make sure these things are in order. Onyx is a tool which will let you do this pretty easily. You can find the correct version for your OS version here: http://www.titanium.free.fr/downloadonyx.php
    [EDIT] I use Onyx myself and have not had any issues with it.

Post edited by rek_2158272 on
  • bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807
    edited December 1969

DS 4.5 has been pretty stable for me.

You might want to open up the Console application (you can find it in your Applications/Utilities folder) and look for the DAZ Studio crash logs. The logs are not exactly easy to read, but sometimes you can get a hint of what's going wrong.

There have been reports that the Content Management System, which depends on a third-party database called Valentina, is not very stable. The advice in that case seemed to be "Don't try to do too much too fast with the CMS: if you click everywhere like a mad thing, it will crash. Give it time to catch up."

I'm paraphrasing slightly, but I think that was the gist of it. From the description, that sounds like a class of bug called a race condition to me, but that's just speculation.

• Geminii23Geminii23 Posts: 1,327
    edited December 1969

angusm said:
    DS 4.5 has been pretty stable for me.

You might want to open up the Console application (you can find it in your Applications/Utilities folder) and look for the DAZ Studio crash logs. The logs are not exactly easy to read, but sometimes you can get a hint of what's going wrong.

There have been reports that the Content Management System, which depends on a third-party database called Valentina, is not very stable. The advice in that case seemed to be "Don't try to do too much too fast with the CMS: if you click everywhere like a mad thing, it will crash. Give it time to catch up."

I'm paraphrasing slightly, but I think that was the gist of it. From the description, that sounds like a class of bug called a race condition to me, but that's just speculation.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely check the logs and see what I can do. To clarify, I am definitely not one to randomly start clicking everywhere. Over the last few days DAZ has become almost entirely non-functional for me. I have it crash on a blank scene just trying to apply a base character and a current project I am working on will crash after loading without me touching anything at all. It really sux cause I really love DAZ and do not have this problem with any other apps such as Final Cut Pro or Logic or even Photoshop.

• SedorSedor Posts: 1,764
    edited December 1969

Just to figure out if this is caused by the DB Valentina, the next time DAZ Studio crashes take a look at the crash report if there is "Valentina" mentioned in the crashed thread.

This was/is the main origin of the crashes I get with DAZ Studio - if it crashes, in general it's running real solid here at my system.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    Over the last few days DAZ has become almost entirely non-functional for me. I have it crash on a blank scene just trying to apply a base character and a current project I am working on will crash after loading without me touching anything at all.

Definitely not what's supposed to happen.

You might want to check for any temporary files created by DS, and throw them away. I can't remember exactly where it stores them and don't currently have access to a machine with DS installed. Hunt around in your Documents and Library folders for anything that looks like it might be a temporary file made by DS (at least one DAZ program creates a folder called DazTmp, which is a bit of a giveaway).

You can also check the Library/Preferences folder for any DS preferences files. They might start with 'com.daz3d.' or contain 'Daz' in the filename. Move these to a safe place and try starting DS without them. Sometimes a corrupted preference file can cause crashes, and forcing DS to rebuild its preferences may resolve the issue (but it will also lose your settings and possibly even your registration: make sure you have your serial number handy in case it asks).

If that doesn't help, put your preferences files back in exactly the same place they were before (you did make a note of where each file was before you moved it, didn't you?)

If it's not a bad preference or temporary file, my guess would be that it might be a bad bit of content. The fact that it crashes when you try to load a base character makes me think that it could be a shaping morph or even a base character that's somehow bad or damaged. When DS adds a character to a scene, it will - I think - check which morphs are available, so that it can populate the Shaping panel. If one of those is somehow bad, it could be bringing down the app.

The main log in the Console ("All Messages") might contain some information that would help you pinpoint the problem, or it might feature in the crash report (look under User Diagnostic Reports on the left side of the Console for your DAZ Studio crash reports). Failing that, try to remember the last piece of content that you installed before the application became unstable. Use the Uninstaller for that content to remove it, then try again.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited February 2013

I drew this up with DS in mind, however not knowing how much RAM your system has, or free space or what else is running it's a shot in the dark.

the final part of this which I should probably add to the graphic is:
    "Create a new Administrative account, boot into that account and run the software"
    and if that works your original account has a corruption, that may or may not be solved by modifying or repairing permissions which you can do though 3rd party software (onyx, cocktail, etc.) or though the tools Apple already has on the drive (Disk Utility, Terminal, etc.)

index.jpg
    600 x 464 - 47K
    Post edited by StratDragon on
  • FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited December 1969

Geminii23 said:
    Has anyone else found a solution to the MAC OSx version of DAZ crashing? I am running the latest build 4.5.1.56 Pro 64Bit on OSx 10.6.8

At this point even just starting with a blank project and applying any figure type DAZ crashes.

Thanks.

I'm running build 4.5.1.56 Pro 64-Bit on OSx 10.8.2, works OK for me but does crash when I exit the program.
    Have you installed the Genesis Starter Essentials 1.11?

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,524
    edited December 1969

DS 4.5 crashes on mac OS X "fixes"
    If the crash is related to Valentina (as Sedor wrote, you will see that in the crashlog), the trick is:
    Go to the Content DB maintenance ..., there do "Mark All Content As Seen" + "Condense Database". This usually helps a lot.

The bug as I've discovered is trigged when DS tells the Content Manager that "user clicked on this item, set it as seen", even if it is seen. By setting all to seen it looks like it is much more stable.

/ Totte

• edited February 2013

I can't find "Condense Database" I'm running on Mac OS X 10.6.8 and 64bit DAZ Studio v4.5.1.56 It's not reliable on my system. I installed on the admin account. Oh! I've also repaired permissions lately, after installing, too.

Post edited by daz3D89217_aa2e7be195 on
  • TotteTotte Posts: 13,524
    edited December 1969

I can't find "Condense Database" I'm running on Mac OS X 10.6.8 and 64bit DAZ Studio v4.5.1.56 It's not reliable on my system. I installed on the admin account. Oh! I've also repaired permissions lately, after installing, too.

In DS, here

hlp2.jpg
    283 x 244 - 18K
    hlp-1.jpg
    309 x 468 - 29K
  • FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249
    edited December 1969

fusionla said:
    Geminii23 said:

Thanks.

I'm running build 4.5.1.56 Pro 64-Bit on OSx 10.8.2, works OK for me but does crash when I exit the program.
    Have you installed the Genesis Starter Essentials 1.11?

I got my crashing figured out,
    Removed the default genesis start up scene on launch.
    Now no longer crashes when I exit DAZ Studio 4.5