collision detection

toddprice775toddprice775 Posts: 3
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

any way to have a character walk across a small hill up and over with out just walking straight thought the hill. have collision detection on.

Thanks Todd

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

The extremely short answer:

Create a walk cycle where the figure walks in place, or use a canned one if you wish, then select the top of the figure hierarchy and change the motion from Keyframe to Motion Path.

If you can let us know how proficient (or not) you are with Carrara it may help with the level of advice given.

Picture_1.png
    250 x 773 - 77K
  • 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited February 2013

HI Todd

Welcome :)

Collision detection is used primarily to position objects in the scene.
    It should be switched on and Off ...when you need to position items so that they're in contact with each other.

It's not an option for use in animation, ..and having it ON constantly, can slow things down when you're working in the scene, as Carrara will be trying to detect any collisions.
    it can also make objects hard to move,.. For example: If they're already intersecting, and collision detection is enabled.

For you're original question about the figure walking across an uneven surface..
    yes,. You can animate the figure with a "Walking in place" animation,. and then use the "Motion path" animation method to control where the character walks,. the points in the motion path can be moved, but if for example there was a steep incline,. the figure would look strange, as normally, a human figure would be bent forward more, and the figures gate would change to more of a step, than a casual walk

depending on your camera angles, an how much of the figure is visible in the shot, you can make it work by focusing more on the figure face and upper body, rather than a wide shot.

Hope it helps :)

EvilProducer beat me to it :)

Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

I may have beat you Andy, but you were much more informative!

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

And I type much slower :)