Rendering in Sepia Tone?

DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384

I know there is a pretty simple way to do a render in Black and White but I was curious if there was a way to render in a Sepia tone for more of a Noir style picture. I could play with lighting color but I'd have to alter every single texture in some way for it to look right (and the odds of it looking right are still slim). Has anyone ever tried this before? Is it possible?

Thanks for any help! :)

Comments

• ToborTobor Posts: 2,300
    edited April 2017

The best way to create a sepia tone look is to do it as they did in photography: take a black and white photo and tint it. Fortunately, you don't need any nasty chemicals to do the tinting, just a graphics program. The freeware GIMP should handle it if you don't have Photoshop. I'd suggest using a sepia filter that intelligently applies the toning based on exposure.

This is more than the old render-only vs. postwork argument. A true sepia look is not just colorized, but toned based on the grayscale content -- the sepia toning chemical (selenium and others) reacted to the silver halide metal on the print, turning the crystals into something else, causing much richer coloration.

Not trying to overwhelm you with the process, but there's a reason some digital "sepia" art just doesn't look correct. I mentioned it because you wanted to do it right. Here's an example of the wrong way to do it. Unfortunately, this sort of bad advice is common on the Internet

https://www.thoughtco.com/apply-a-sepia-tone-to-photo-1700240

Post edited by Tobor on
  • DDCreateDDCreate Posts: 1,384

Thank you Tobor. This just goes to show that there is a world outside DAZ lol. I forgot to think outside the box. Of course!! That is a simple process. Thanks for the slap in the head ;)