What Is Going On With Carrara?

Comments

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

Oh and to specifically answer your earlier question, no, Install Manager is not the February Announcement. That falls under the "more coming that I can't yet talk about" comment. :)

Animation of Garstor and Dartanbeck after reading this: JOY!

edited December 1969

If you look it says Install Manager, not DAZ3D Install Manager. and DIM is better than what the other alternative worked out as, which was DIE or DIX. LOL.

Touche!

I recall a Canadian political party many years back that inadvertantly created the acronym CRAP. They didn't last long... :lol:

• DAZ_SpookyDAZ_Spooky Posts: 3,100
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    If you look it says Install Manager, not DAZ3D Install Manager. and DIM is better than what the other alternative worked out as, which was DIE or DIX. LOL.

Touche!

I recall a Canadian political party many years back that inadvertantly created the acronym CRAP. They didn't last long... :lol:In college, our dorm had a committee called the Student Housing Improvement Team.

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited February 2013

Garstor said:

Touche!

I recall a Canadian political party many years back that inadvertantly created the acronym CRAP. They didn't last long... :lol:

In college, our dorm had a committee called the Student Housing Improvement Team.

But being in College, and I'm assuming traditionally college aged, that acronym wasn't really a surprise was it? ;-)

Post edited by evilproducer on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,236
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Oh and to specifically answer your earlier question, no, Install Manager is not the February Announcement. That falls under the "more coming that I can't yet talk about" comment. :)

Animation of Garstor and Dartanbeck after reading this: JOY!LOL - perfect! That's us, Garstor... That's us!

edited December 1969

While on this subject, I should really add this.
    One of the first things they teach you when it comes time to discuss "What software do you need in your toolkit?", there is never an all encompassing list. More, there's a list of suggestions that resemble the types of applications to try, and get used to. You are taught to get used to learning different software whenever possible, because no one software does it all.
    Carrara can open a lot of stuff. It can, as intended, perform so much under its own interface, that my toolkit, as a Carrara owner, is much smaller that an artist whom uses Blender, for example. I buy plugins out of luxury, not necessity. Not the way it is with other applications. And most of my plugins are quite inexpensive. Not so with many other applications.

Enough of my rant, like this, though. I'm really not a big meanie, as most here can testify to.
    Carrara, for me, is a blissful launching platform for rendering and animating the cool stuff that I buy here at Daz3d and Renderosity. Solomon is an excellent animator who uses 3DS MAX (latest version, with all of the bells and whistles), and is kind enough to post in our "Animations" forum, here at Daz3d. He is making this really cool Gorilla movie, and landed a nice job with an animation pose content company. He loves the new features of his software and uses it well - and even he says that - for using content the way I use it, Carrara is a great platform to stick with, but the new xxx(A Character Content and animation system within a more expensive version of Max) is really handy and fun to use. We're talking about a huge price difference. I've tried Max and will never say that it is anything short of excellent. But when I took what I learned into Carrara - I actually enjoy Carrara more.

On the other note, about Daz3d, I've read articles regarding what Daz has done in Joe's post. It wasn't exactly as black and white and down right inhumane as Joe made it sound. Many of the people who used to work on the Daz payroll now willingly work instead as Daz Published Artists. The software thing was an outreach program to try and meet the faces of some new 3d artists, without them having to invest a cent. This was meant to be a much shorter period of time - as those softies cost a lot of money to develop. But they did it anyways, and decided to keep it going for another month. They must really like bringing in new artists because they're still giving away some of the most popular 3d art software in the world!

• petefpetef Posts: 47
    edited December 1969

For my 2cents (or 2pence) I came back to using Carrara and I'm a fully paid up owner of both Modo 601 and Vue Infinite 11, but for what I'm looking to do at the moment Carrara is my app of choice, I've added a few extra plugins that I didn't have and I'm a happy bunny.

If some one isn't happy with Carrara or has a downer on Daz then move on dude, learn Blender if your on a budget or stump up the cash for Lightwave if you earn a living doing 3d and be happy.

Over on the Modo forum people are now saying that if 701 do-sent have specific features then they'll jump to LW11.5, so even Modo one of the most respected apps in the business is now starting to get some grumblings going on.

MY point is Carrara is a pro app but could use some extras (as can all 3d apps). Oh and it has one of the best and most helpful forums of any app out there.

Carrara 5 years behind :lol:, most certainly not.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,175
    edited December 1969

This thread has been sharply trimmed to deal with a lack of civility (and we regret that the tooth fairy was collateral damage). We have no wish to prevent you from discussing the future of Carrara, and we are glad that you feel strongly about it, but the discussion will be conducted in a civil manner.

edited December 1969

Garstor said:

Animation of Garstor and Dartanbeck after reading this: JOY!Now click on the link above. Garstor wants to cheer everyone up here.

edited December 1969

This thread has been sharply trimmed to deal with a lack of civility (and we regret that the tooth fairy was collateral damage). We have no wish to prevent you from discussing the future of Carrara, and we are glad that you feel strongly about it, but the discussion will be conducted in a civil manner.
    Sorry Richard. Truly.
    Everybody already knows my positive outlook regarding Carrara already anyways, right? Feel free to get rid of that post above.
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Thanks Dartan, done that.

Cute animation BTW. :coolsmirk:

edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Now click on the link above. Garstor wants to cheer everyone up here.

It's true! I prefer happy posts!

I didn't rein in the chain on my inner beast this morning; apologies for that.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Garstor said:
    Garstor said:
    Now click on the link above. Garstor wants to cheer everyone up here.

It's true! I prefer happy posts!

I didn't rein in the chain on my inner beast this morning; apologies for that.
    It's tedious when the legitimate parts of a discussion are deleted too.

I didn't even get an email notice saying "Your reasonable and informative post has been deleted because children can't behave themselves..."

edited February 2013

Sorry about that Holly. The Forum Team is a bit stressed out at the moment, so it was quicker for one of us to just Post to the thread ( http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16141/P30/#238598 ) rather than go searching for umpteen email addies and sending emails to you all. :red:

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Sorry about that Holly. The Forum Team is a bit stressed out at the moment, so it was quicker for one of us to just Post to the thread ( http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/16141/P30/#238598 ) rather than go searching for umpteen email addies and sending emails to you all. :red:

Actually, that would be a really useful forum feature and a snap (kinda) to implement with a decent database. I don't know what software/database is used here though.

Sorry again Holly! Mea culpa!

edited December 1969

For some reason the email feature is disabled for forum members

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

chohole said:

You have to do that MANUALLY? Ugh!

For SHAME you guilty forum squabblers!

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ya, that is why my posts keep getting pulled. Sorry Richard, the only way you can talk about carrara's future is with delusional optimism, kitties, and sunflowers. You can have a negative opinion, but you certainly can't post it.

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

I appreciate civility. I remember all the negativity in the forums about Carrara 7 and Victoria 4 when I started. If you took the doomsayers seriously Carrara had no future and Daz wouldn't develop it further. Fast forward to the present and we have a real physics engine, the beginnings of support for Daz's new format and I won't even try to list all of the other enhancements.

Its easy to be negative and I've been cynical from a tender age. Its harder to be positive and productive. I'm no saint, but I do *try* to be useful/helpful/productive or asking a question that I would like answered in my posts. My thanks to all of those forum goers who are positive (with an extra special thank you to 3dage).

In terms of Carrara's future, I'm thankful that C8.5 /hasn't/ been released in its current state. I fully expect them to release it when it works better with genesis -- after all, they'd like to bring in some income from the work put into it. I wouldn't call this wildly optimistic, just sensibly practical.

It is a shame that Daz was overly optimistic about how much effort was going to be involved in making DS work well, and, unsurprisingly, poser compatibility took precedence over Carrara. One consequence of this is that many important bug fixes are only available in the beta. To err is human, and I know the last coding project I had at work took longer than expected and I had to revisit architecture more than I like. But no matter how much you plan and design, something always seems to come up. And scope creep seems to come naturally to managers.

Daz's approach of acknowledging the code state (it is still labeled beta), but making it available to their users (anyone with C8 has access to C8.5) allows people to keep on working even though it delays Daz's pay day.

Sure, I wish they were more open about status, progress and priorities. But, realistically, I don't think it'd actually help much. I suspect the poser push came as a bit of surprise. Maybe they thought Smith Micro was going to do the work to support Genesis, but whatever the reason the work stoppage on Carrara and the push for Poser/DSON seems to have not been planned for. In other words, if we were in the know we would still probably have been taken by surprise by the shift.

I'm intrigued by this install manager and that it seems to have sucked up developer time as well (and still isn't ready yet). Perhaps there are big things (like the vague statements about "feb announcement") in store, at least in the scope of Daz. But at the least I expect, based on Daz's activity over the past few years, for there to be new features and enhancements to Carrara for the foreseeable future.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited February 2013

This thread has been sharply trimmed to deal with a lack of civility .

:-) Wow, if the civility code gets any stricter pretty soon only Dartanbeck will be able to post with his "everything's AWESOME" posts. :-)

:-) :-) :-)

BTW, that was just a joke. Not intended to offend anyone, or DAZ, or any forum moderator, nor was it intended to be in any way uncivil or meanspiritied. And if it offended anyone, or offended anyone by proxy on someone else's behalf, I truly apologize. And I do respect the code of civility that is imposed on this forum, so it wasn't intended to show any signs of disrespect whatsoever to the DAZ forum TOS or any other code, either stated or implied. I also respect everyone here, including the moderators, and in no way intended to imply otherwise. Also please note the generous use of smileys to indicate my intentions are solely in a joking manner. And if it helps, let me state very clearly and plainly: Everything is AWESOME !!!

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
  • 3dView3dView Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

so now we have the answer to the original question ----what's happening with carrara?

Awesomeness.

Smiles

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,903
    edited December 1969

and JM2K, feel free to post some awesome renders in the new hope thread too!

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

and JM2K, feel free to post some awesome renders in the new hope thread too!

AWESOME idea, Wendy !!! :-)

Thanks !!!

That would sure solve the question we've been debating about Carrara's future !!! And it may even help to make this forum more civil...

Cool suggestion !!!! I'll get right on it !!!!

• Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

Well, it's nice to see that Spook is still around. :-)

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Oh yes, I just love blinders with rose colored lenses. Where can I get my set?

I'd go on but it would be pointless, as you; or at least I, can't voice a negative opinion here. Regardless of how founded in fact it is.

• thoromyrthoromyr Posts: 452
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    Oh yes, I just love blinders with rose colored lenses. Where can I get my set?

I'd go on but it would be pointless, as you; or at least I, can't voice a negative opinion here. Regardless of how founded in fact it is.

I'm not sure who or what you are responding to as "blinders with rose colored lenses". Could you be more specific? If it was in response to my post are you disputing the facts (that Daz has continued to develop Carrara despite vocal doomsayers)?

Or are you just offering up opinion, such as I did when I opined that it only makes sense for Daz to release an upgrade -- for which they will be paid -- that they have already sunk considerable resources into? Opinions are great, everyone has them. But not everyone's opinion is appreciated in the sharing. I take it you do not appreciate some of the opinions voiced here?

• EyosEyos Posts: 114
    edited December 1969

There is some initial activity in the DAZ Bug tracker again, it was silent for months.
    It seems that programmers are fixing Carrara bugs again.
    Little activity, but its a start! :-)

• NoneNone Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

only activity I see on there is from users posting bugs

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744
    edited December 1969

Please, please! This is supposed to be a happy forum!

Let's not bicker and argue about who insulted who. We are here today to discuss the future of our favorite 3D tools in the joyful hands of DAZ 3D. Unfortunately, one of them, Carrara 8.5, has fallen behind schedule. But we think I've not lost a tool, so much as... gained a beta! For, since the tragic death of the development of Carrara--

DARTAN: It's not quite dead!

Since the near fatal delays--

DARTAN: They're back on schedule!

For, since the release schedule... which, when it seemed about to recover, suddenly felt the icy hand of management upon them,...

STANLEY: Oh, it's died!

And we want this precious software to look upon us... as its most devoted owners -- in a very real, and legally binding sense.

edited December 1969

Patience, young Padowan