Callout for Kibarreto, need ship updates.

Greetings Kibarreto,

I currently have the Vanguard and have failed miserablely in trying to convert all of the ambient lights inside the ship to Iray Emissives so the controls and screens will have the correct glow.  I am hopefull that you are considering updating all of your small ships (Vanguard, Shuttlestar, & Pocket Star) to Iray.  There is a great need for small ships and a lot of new people coming in to DAZ that would be interested in an update even if it is paid.

Thanks in Advance
Bill
I used to be disgusted, now I am just amused.

Comments

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

If you update Vanguard, would love to see a working airlock somewhere.  But then, my wishlist for such things is probably endless…

• EtriganEtrigan Posts: 603

Bill,

I'd be curious to know your steps for redoing the lights. I converted a shuttlestar to Iray and had pretty good success with the screens.

• I would like this as well and obviously willing to pay for them.

edited April 2017

Ok, In actuality, Kibarreto's ships are easily converted to Iray. 

Bill, I've attached an image. I believe the issue you are having with the screens is a simple fix.

Apply the texture to the "Emission Color". This image sets the luminance to 250. and the Luminance Units to Kcdmr2

ShuttleStar_HSS_Tereshkova_Iray_1000j.jpg
    2400 x 1500 - 3M
    Post edited by Etrigan on
  • Etrigan said:

Bill, I've attached an image. I believe the issue you are having with the screens is a simple fix.

Apply the texture to the "Emission Color". This image sets the luminance to 250. and the Luminance Units to Kcdmr2

That's a gorgeous image!  Just the right amount of luminance coming from the ship interior, and I am loving that starfield!

dhtapp said:
    Etrigan said:

That's a gorgeous image!  Just the right amount of luminance coming from the ship interior, and I am loving that starfield!

Thank you! The starfield is something I snagged off of the web. 

• Etrigan said:

After you applied the different textures, how did you save it for later use?
    edited April 2017
    Etrigan said:

After you applied the different textures, how did you save it for later use?

I save it as a scene, just the ship, the star field was added in post for a quick example. As you notice, I have made other changes to the textures. So, the ship becomes a character for later use. I think you could also save it as a texture preset, but I've never done that. My scene folders have categories for people, creatures, vehicles, etc. Each contains those things that I've modified, kitbashed, or altered in some way. All of my Iray upgrades are saved as individual scenes that I can later merge into an image I'm working on. To make things easier I use a naming convention that lets me identify what it is I've saved. For example, this was saved as K_Hseih_Shuttlestar_Tereshkova_Iray_000. K = Kibaretto (SM= Stonemason, FB= First Bastion, etc.); Hseih = storyline; Shuttlestar = model; Tereshkova = character; Iray = what conversion; 000 = iteration. I will also create individual scenes when I add people to this model. If I created a crew for it, I would save it separately and indicate "crewed" in the file name. Sometimes I will spend weeks simply creating new textures. Oh, BTW, when I alter a texture, I save it in two formats in the same folder as the original textures (you can't do this with "Connect" products, you have to create a local folder). The two formats are: PSD - so if I want to make a new ship name, I have a layered image to work with - simply edit that and save it as a new file. The second is a JPG or PNG (whatever the PA uses) which is applied to the model. I always use the same file name as the PA and add SC000, SC001 (incremental changes) So that my versions appear right beside the PA's in the folder view. The beauty of this is that, if you notice an error, or change your mind about an individual texture (say ship numbers) then, once you make a change and overwrite your altered file, then every scene you've created will then reflect those changes without redoing each scene. Example. If I do the Tereshkova in flight, and landed in separate scenes. If they have the same texture set, any change I make will reflect in both scenes. 

I do this with almost all my individual characters. Conversions to Iray, different outfits, different hair, etc. It's especially useful for grouping; I create groups of people in various activities and save them out as scenes (ex: soldiers). 

Sorry if this is long, I don't do 128 characters; hope it helps. 

Edited for spelling and grammar (yeah, I'm one of those) devil

Post edited by Etrigan on
  • I prefer to save them as "scene subsets" (second option in save as).  This lets you merge them with other scenes more easily.

Haven't tried converting the Vangard specifically yet.  Let's see...

Ok, got everything converted to Iray.  (Just uber everything, with the windows as thin glass) Put the emisives at same settings and... hmm.  It's all coming out rather orange.

Messed with the color temperatures some.  Changing them all to 6666 worked nicely.  Alternatively, 1111 gives a nifty "red alert" look (except for nose panel 2.  not sure why).

6666b.png
    980 x 551 - 912K
    1111b.png
    980 x 551 - 937K
    6666.png
    980 x 551 - 559K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

If you want to preserve the original coloring of light surfaces, put the ambient/whatever map into Emission Color and set color temp to 0 -- this shuts off the temp calculation entirely.

• If you want to preserve the original coloring of light surfaces, put the ambient/whatever map into Emission Color and set color temp to 0 -- this shuts off the temp calculation entirely.

Oh, that helps, thanks!