Posing Genesis and M4

BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 791
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I'm having some issues posing characters in a scene with a Genesis character and M4. I've had problems posing Genesis with poses created for M4. Genesis will take the pose, but often results in some weird stretching and deformation. It's kind of hit or miss. So I purchased Savage Freak5 poses. They work very well on Genesis. There are some very cool two figure poses involving Freak5 and M5. Unfortunately, I can't apply the M5 poses to M4. They don't do anything to the figure. I tried importing an M5, applied the pose to M5 and then using Fenric's Pose Transfer tried to move the pose from M5 to M4. The results weren't very good. I understand that Genesis has a different bone structure than M4, especially in the feet and chest. But I expected to get a similar pose that I had to tweak for M4. Can anyone provide insight into what the differences are in posing the two figures and maybe a workflow that solves my problem.

Thanks.

Comments

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited February 2013

HI BrianP21361 :)

Poses are created for each figure, that's why they're named to show which figure they were originally built with / for.
    and sold in packs for a specific figure.
    Animation is the same.

M3. has a different bone structure from M4 , and the bones in Genesis are different again. it has more bones that M4,.. with different names.

The Genesis bones also change size and position depending on the genesis "Character" you're using,
    EG: M5, V5, Freak5, Troll, Anubis, Gorilla etc.

That's why when you apply a pose which was designed to be used on one figure, or character, to a different figure, you'll get some distortion, or nothing at all since the bones are a different size / length, or have a different name.

There;s also another difference now, with the DUF file format,. (which is what the genesis poses are)

M4 will only work with Pz2 (poser pose files) and does not handle DUF format.

If you apply the "Savage Freak" poses for M5,... to M5, then they'll work correctly.

Hope it helps :)

Post edited by 3DAGE on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,235
    edited February 2013

Not sure if this will work... but try it anyways.
    Apply your 'genesis' pose to your genesis
    go to NLA tab and 'Create Master Pose'
    You could even deselect the Pelvis, Abdomen 2, and might as well deselect the feet. It'll probably be easier to pose the feet yourself after the pose is applied from a zeroed position, than to change it from the Genesis Pose allocation. (sends the feet for a ride)

Now load your M4 character.
    Go to your NLA tab and click "Load Master Clip"
    select the master pose you've just created.
    This really should work.

Otherwise, if you have Fenric's Pz2 exporter for Carrara, you could make your own file that the M4 figure would read. Never tried making a pz2 with Genesis.

If this doesn't work, but you Really want to get certain poses from genesis applied to M4 (or anyone else, for that matter, go into Daz Studio. Bummer... you'd need aniMate1 or 2 or any of the payed for aniMate plugins - but then you could load the pose to Genesis and use aniMate to create aniBlock from DS Keyframes. Save as new aniBlock and try that in Carrara - Crap... you'd need the aniBlock importer... anyways... if you have that stuff - that might work as well... I know that I get my aniBlocks onto Genesis... but I always have to delete the keyframes on the feet.

One last try if nothing else does it... you'd need Poser and the DSON whatever for Poser. I've never tried any of that stuff. Very seldom open Poser. To bad... that's a decent softy... oh well... Carrara's better! :)
    But if you have the ability to get a pose to work in Poser... you could save as PZ2

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • BrianP21361BrianP21361 Posts: 791
    edited December 1969

3DAge,

Thanks. That really helped me understand things better. I have had good luck applying a PZ2 on Genesis in DazStudio and then saving it as a DUF. Applying the DUF to Genesis worked. Except the feet of course.

Dartanbeck,

I tried creating an NLA pose and it worked. Sort of. It did transfer the pose, but it was very distorted. I don't have Fenric’s Pz2 exporter so I couldn't try it. I have AniBlock importer but not Animate, so out of luck there. I guess I'll have to apply the pose to M5 and then use it as a guide to recreate the pose on M4.

Thanks again Gents.

edited December 1969

I decided to cheat and re-created my M4 character using Genesis. One difference I did notice. Genesis doesn't have all the morphs that I need to get Spider-man right, like "nails gone" and the muscle morphs. Would I get those if I purchased "V4 and M4 Shapes for Genesis" (http://www.daz3d.com/v4-and-m4-shapes-for-genesis) or is there a better set of morphs for Genesis.

Hulk_Spider-man_Fight.png
    800 x 600 - 185K
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,235
    edited December 1969

Great Freakin' (pun intended) Render!!! Love it!!!

That morph package has a huge, side effect that makes all of those "Generations" packages totally worth their weight.
    It makes auto-fit work for those models. For instance, with the above named package, you'll now be able to auto-fit any of V4 and M4's clothing, hair, etc., to Genesis, no matter what shapes you have on Genesis. The Troll for Genesis could then wear V4's bikini for a small example. Valuable as all get-out for someone like me who has been collecting clothes and hair forever!
    I liked auto-fit so much that I then bought the one for Generation 3 morphs as well.

Check to see if it contains the morphs you want, though. There is a huge assortment of morphs available for Genesis.
    You might try making a new master shader for the fingernails and turn everything to "none" in the shader, except go with 1-100% in the Alpha channel and set it to 0% to make them invisible.

edited December 1969

Dartanbeck,

Thanks. I'm going to pick up some Genesis morphs like you suggested.

I did create an "invisible" shader and applied it to the nails. It gave me funny results as you can see by the attached image.

finger_nails.jpg
    480 x 800 - 202K