What you see is not what you get (WYSIWYG)

I had eye surgery last Tuesday..replaced the lens in the right eye with an artificial lens. One of the side effects that I did not expect was the huge color shift into the blue end of the spectrum with the new lens.  My natural lens in the left eye sees a yellow world while the right eye sees a blue world (actually the blue world is the way it should be). Since I make subjective color adjustments of images in Photoshop and After Effects the effect of my past judgements are all in doubt. Fort example I can now see that my images and footage are all oversaturated and into the yellows.  It does not matter if the monitor is calibrated, I was adjusting the image to what I thought "looked good." , thinking other people would be seeing the same thing.  The problem is that the human eye ages from the day we are born...It becomes increasingly yellow or amber... It is so gradual that we see the world it presents as normal or standard  and the brain makes adjustments accordingly.   The problem is not everybody's eyes are the same... or better put, the same age.... The article that  explains this  effect is   http://vsri.ucdavis.edu/research/psychophysics

Of course, there is a huge difference in color gamuts due to a number of reasons, such as the Window's vs Mac system. etc.  However, you might say that I was color blind sided by this one. Since we all have to make color adjustments, I thought there may be others  on the forum, like me, who were not aware of this.

Lens aging.png
642 x 559 - 261K

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,938

I guess you will adjust but that would be rather freaky looking at stuff with both eyes.

I guess we all see the world a little differently 

• starboardstarboard Posts: 452

Fortunately I get the other eye done in about a week, so I will be seeing the same thing in both eyes then. At present I can wink back and forward and see blue or yellow.

The problem may be although we can calibrate the monitor we make color decisions on...we can't calibrate our own eyes...  I suppose we just have to do the best we can... What I am wondering about, is if you are in your twenties-thirties and you make video or stills in Carrara, correct in Photoshop, and send them to a client who is in his sixties... The client will probably think the images are flat and lacking color.  

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Wow, what a difference!   I was born with strabismus, but had surgery age 6-7... back in those days they could not give you binocular vision, but they did fix it cosmetically so I did not have that lazy eye/squint look any longer. So I have always been a 'switch hitter' and for most of my life have noticed that my left eye sees brown-ish reds vs the right eye which sees bright normal reds. I was told it was a light-ray bend thingy and that normal binocular people don't notice it for the reason you said.

But I didn't know it got worse with age, just thought it was a general deterioration, so it's connected to the cataract and the IOL got you colour correction and clarity? I worry about when it comes my time (both my parents had cataract ops). Because of the childhood surgery, I just cannot bear for anyone to touch my eyes and will have to beg for a general anaesthetic.

Hope the next one is done soon for you.  yes Silene

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,938

my stereo deficiency is an audio one

I am profoundly deaf in one ear and regulary swap my earphones to hear the bits of music I miss

I cannot place direction of sound at all but hear in stereo much the same way as a one eyed person sees it, by perspective and moving my head.

• starboardstarboard Posts: 452

I know what you mean about fear of somebody touching your eyes.  I came very close from backing out from this procedure...The surgeon had to spend about fifteen minutes trying to convince me to go forward with the procedure.  I was scared of the whole thing. The blind have my deepest, deepest sympathy and highest respect. I can't imaging living without sight.

From what I have learned from various sites,  many people are having IOL's long before cataracts are a problem at all,..in their 50's and 40's.  I f there was nothing wrong with my eyes you would have to drag me in kicking and screaming at that age - and I would still be holding on to the door frame..

I have the IOL, Extended  Depth and Focus...It is supposed to give you sharp vision from reading distance to  distant.....Being naturally suspicious..seeing will be believing. 

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969

Wendy, my dad jumped off a bridge to rescue his father's best fishing reel and dove too fast and damaged his right eardrum, so was almost totally deaf in that ear from his youth. He never was able to hear 'stereo' when it came out much to his immense disappointment being an engineer! When he got his auto-gain, self-driving, or whatever they were, digital hearing aids in the mid 90s, he was over the moon. But it cannot be exactly same as natural hearing.

Still, I am with Starboard... I am terrified of losing sight. Hearing... maybe could live without some of it, but still. We are so dependent on our senses. I do not know if I could ever be, or have been when younger, one of those who does lose a sense and reports that the others kick in to make up for it. 

I think I am probably just a weak soul....   blush Silene

• stringtheory9stringtheory9 Posts: 411
    edited April 2017
    starboard said:

I had eye surgery last Tuesday..replaced the lens in the right eye with an artificial lens. One of the side effects that I did not expect was the huge color shift into the blue end of the spectrum with the new lens.  My natural lens in the left eye sees a yellow world while the right eye sees a blue world (actually the blue world is the way it should be). Since I make subjective color adjustments of images in Photoshop and After Effects the effect of my past judgements are all in doubt. Fort example I can now see that my images and footage are all oversaturated and into the yellows.  It does not matter if the monitor is calibrated, I was adjusting the image to what I thought "looked good." , thinking other people would be seeing the same thing.  The problem is that the human eye ages from the day we are born...It becomes increasingly yellow or amber... It is so gradual that we see the world it presents as normal or standard  and the brain makes adjustments accordingly.   The problem is not everybody's eyes are the same... or better put, the same age.... The article that  explains this  effect is   http://vsri.ucdavis.edu/research/psychophysics

Of course, there is a huge difference in color gamuts due to a number of reasons, such as the Window's vs Mac system. etc.  However, you might say that I was color blind sided by this one. Since we all have to make color adjustments, I thought there may be others  on the forum, like me, who were not aware of this.

starboard, your eyes are just one aspect of many variables (eyes, monitor setting, gamma, room brightness/color) that affect the end result. "What you hear is what you get" is also true. When I worked in recording studios we would take our CD caddies with our favorite "reference" songs with us. These were well known pieces of music recorded and mastered in high-end world renowned studios. Before we began laying down any tracks we would listen to half a dozen of these reference tracks to learn the acoustic properties of the gear and the room. Sometimes even A/B between what we were working on and our reference tracks. This way if the studio monitors were coloring the sound or the room was darkening the tone we could compensate.  

The same is true visually.  Nowadays I do the same thing when rendering. I compare my renders to a set of reference images and movies. I never trust what I'm seeing but at least I know that if, in a side by side comparison with a professional product it looks ok, it will probably be a lot closer to accurate than if I just trust my eyes. 

Post edited by stringtheory9 on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

The Samsung monitor on my Windows box looks totally different to the screen on my iMac. I don't trust a render on one until I've looked at it on the other. Even then it's probably still very different to what you'd see on your screen.