Is it time for Daz to rethink Bryce?

Several year ago Daz explained to the community why Bryce wasn't changing to a 64 bit system.  I remember reading the statement by Daz, but my memory is a little short on all of the reasons.  What I do remember is that the render couldn't be something, something to 64 bit and the mac was a for sure no go ;)

After looking at the three most popular terrain modeling programs I've been wondering if Daz shouldn't take the time to re-evaluate if the Bryce render couldn't be removed from the program and the Iray render incorporated into the program.  I know Newtek did just that with lightwave layout several years ago and gave it a new life.  the reason I'm asking this question is because I've looked at e-ons vue ple (which is no better for speed then its 32 bit verison) In fact its worst then it use to be. I say this because I'm running an 8 core amd 8370 at 4 Ghz with 32 megs of memory and 2 quadro 5000 units on an ASRock 990FX Extreme6 mb. Vue is Sad, just Sad on windows 7 64 bit.  As for the other two terrain programs, The learning curve is involved for the little use I'll have for it.

So there you have it. Vue is the most disappointing and the other two are overloaded with the learning curve.   Bryce was always easy to use and as stated because Daz is putting resources into the Iray render for studio why not spread that over 2 programs if it is possible.

Comments

• S RayS Ray Posts: 398

I am not a studio user, so my questions on this subject: Is there a bridge to bring a Bryce scene or object into studio? If yes, can the Iray render engine recognize and correctly render a Bryce procedural texture created in the DTE? ( not the image map that Bryce can export) But the actual fractal procedural texture with filtering included.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,109

Bryce exports content with procedural materials as images and they can be rendered in Studio with limited success. Likewise, content from Studio coming over to Bryce with image materials (and sometimes with a bump map) but Bryce doesn't do a good job with them, neither with normal maps if they come over at all. I'm not a fan of Iray, it may be good for skin - which Bryce is not (very tricky to get it right). Otherwise, Bryce has two built-in render engines and I think they do an excellent job; also the IBL implementation is still far superior than what Iray can offer at this time. Octane was added to Carrara 8.5, not Iray. The main problem with external render engines is that most of the materials, or shaders, are incompatible between the engines and need adjustement.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I actually see so many people struggling with Iray, especially when it comes to getting skin right,  And there is a definite movement amongst the DS communitiy who are quite happy using the older render engine in DS and not bothering with Iray.

• Tim82Tim82 Posts: 858

thats why i preffer and recomend blender's "cycles" engine! ....so much better than daz studio, light years ahead......but best of all 100% free :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,795

Video

I actually decided to play with Bryce today

its certainly different to Carrara but actually renders animation at a surprisingly doable pace

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited April 2017
    th3Digit said:

Video

I actually decided to play with Bryce today

its certainly different to Carrara but actually renders animation at a surprisingly doable pace

Warning----REEEEEEAAAALLYY bad poetry on the way. Cheesy. Sickening. Consume at your own risk.

Girl, your Brycin's mightly fine!

Almost enough to blow my mind.

That great big castle all alone

Those trees on islands raked with stones.

I wonder if you thought of me

While pressing Render on that tree?

'Cuz Girl I'm surely thanking you,

For showing us what Bryce can do.

I know your anime was fast

and like this poem could not last.

Yet lucky do I find my eyes

beholding once again besides.

Carrara, Bryce and all Daz's kids

Could use more such demonstration vids.

So load it up, Darling, frame by frame.

Don't sweat if some two look the same.

'Cause slow and steady's' the way to go

Like coming of Winter on Game of Thrones.

Perhaps some day we'll collaborate.

You build the model, I won't hesitate;

To top it off with textures galore

From angelically sweet to blood and gore

I'll meet you there, be you up or down

And if you desire I'll be your clown

Because you've shown us time and again

That you and Bryce are cozy friends

And since you play that Carrara thing too

I'm sure we'd have so much stuff to do

So shake that boolean, Girl! Shake it once; twice

Be it Carrara, Hexagon, or my baby; Bryce

And don't forget about good Daz Studio

For better or worse, its the future and so;

I imagine you in Gucci playing the piano,

While sipping a glass of Montepulciano.

In your creative bliss, with iclone and widgets

Like my friend Wendy, now known as th3Digit

And so this song must come to an end

Before your turned over stomach ascends

Into your mouth and out your ears

Leaving you writhing and in tears.

Yes, bad poetry is a crime

Offenders should be given time.

But 'til that day we will just carry on

Confused as ever about dual quaternion.

Post edited by Rashad Carter on
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited April 2017

As a user of Bryce's animation, this vid, th3Digit,...is excellent - if using it for the first time (a bit speedy in parts, but that's correctable, controlable that I'm sure in experimenting in you will discover).

As to your poetry, Rashad, WOW..."needs not suit a rhyme theme, hey, more a rap one, quaternion...quaternion...say". wink.

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,109

th3Digit - very well done animation, particularly considering it's your first one in Bryce. I'm not in animation myself though I did a very few quite a while ago.

Rashad - interesting reading, good job.

not my actual first go at animation even but certainly my second 

my first was over 5 years ago I think and very very brief but also a tree on an island, still noob though as basically I never opened it inbetween 

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,987

Th3Digit - very nice animation.

Rashad - cool poem.

I have rendered a second one now, it took 8 hours while I slept 

but sadly convinced me to go back to Carrara

but it was nice visiting for the poetry heartRashad

• HansmarHansmar Posts: 2,755

th3Digit: Thanks for this great video and for inspiring Rashad to go all out poetic!

Rashad: You've got talent, that's for sure. We want more, we want more. No, not lice, but our beloved Bryce!

• Subtropic PixelSubtropic Pixel Posts: 2,378

To answer the question: 

SOMEBODY needs rethinking, and at this point I don't think DAZ is doing any thinking. 

So maybe Bryce, the inanimate software product without a brain, can STILL rise above its creation and rethink DAZ.  Maybe THEN we'll get a new version.  It sure ain't working the other way.  Come on; it's not 64 bit YET?  What's the matter with management?  sad

• ApocApoc Posts: 407

What always makes me sad about all these post, is it shows how much there is a loving dedicated community to bryce. I am far from a 3d artist, but bryce is my main 3d program I use ( even for moddeling ).
    Ive tried alot of other programs, and despite bryces learning curve and stipulations when it comes to memory. I still find it superior for all my rendering / 3d needs.
    I enjoy being a bryce user, and I cant for the life of me find a better program that I am well equipped with that can handle alot of things I wish to do.

I truly wish there was more support for bryce considering how dedicated this community is. Cause I know I for one, would shell out big bucks just to see a newer version.

I dont know all of daz's reasoning behind it, and I only hear bits and pieces here and there. But I think bryce a gemstone that harbors seriously untapped potential. I do not think they could go wrong for making an investment into it

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,762

It seems Daz's primary business model is selling content for the latest Genesis figures.
    many bryce user are not interested in genesis so much  it seems.

How would a  64 bit Bryce add value to daz's primary business
    of selling clothing& Characters for genesis??? 

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,762
    Tim82 said:

thats why i preffer and recomend blender's "cycles" engine! ....so much better than daz studio, light years ahead......but best of all 100% free :)

agree completely!!

Daz bought out Zygate . They have always been a content providing company. Bryce has always been a user based software.  The future of Bryce is in the hands of Users, Brokers & Daz!

• mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 4,987

SRay - I like your animated signature.

• goyathlaygoyathlay Posts: 0

I love bryce and I´m gonna use it till one day my notebook will break down and bryce can´t be used in the windowws ? version.

But i still hope that one day DAZ will develope a new bryce version...so that I can go on using my favorite 3D software.

Goyathlay

• greymouser69greymouser69 Posts: 499

Well it hasn't run on MacOS for some time now and that is where it started to begin with, the windows version came much later.

Not much later.  a couple of years later.  The first commercial version, Bryce 1.0, appeared in 1994 for the Mac.  Bryce 2 came along in 1996, with the first stable version of Br2 for PC actually arriving in 1997.

• FONSECAFONSECA Posts: 471
    edited May 2017

1994----1997  Remember when it was a big deal to make a sphere in Bryce with a silver reflecting surface on it? Astounding .... give em the Tori prize.

20 plus years later, and ...........................

Post edited by FONSECA on

1994----1997  Remember when it was a big deal to make a sphere in Bryce with a silver reflecting surface on it? Astounding .... give em the Tori prize.

20 plus years later, and ...........................

oh yes Reflective Sphere 0ver Water.   Bryce equvalent of NVIATWAS

An  equivalent of the Tori awards would be nice. One day/night a year the community gathers to share & celebrate our endeavors of the Year.

• FONSECAFONSECA Posts: 471

I had to do a search to find out what NVIATWAS means. I laughed when I read the definition because it is one of my "eye-rolling" peeves when I browse through CG art galleries.

NVIATWASunknown

Naked Vicki in a Temple With a Sword

That would be fun to have a new yearly Tori Award Day.

By the way, my Avatar identity picture is a screen shot of the actor Peter Lorre from one of his best films, "Mad Love",  a close tie to his "over the top" role in the classic film, "The Beast with Five Fingers," which I watched over and over again as a kid and as a result developed a phobia about crawling hands.

• BrycescaperBrycescaper Posts: 148
    wolf359 said:

It seems Daz's primary business model is selling content for the latest Genesis figures.
    many bryce user are not interested in genesis so much  it seems.

How would a  64 bit Bryce add value to daz's primary business
    of selling clothing& Characters for genesis???

Actually I rarely use Bryce content in my renders anymore, I import entire scenes with people from Daz|Studio, then tweak the lighting, atmosphere and textures to get photorealistic renders. Daz's main failing is that they are so concentrated on promoting the latest, they leave behind everything previous as if it doesn't exist anymore. Sadly, that includes Bryce. But there is interest for Genesis figures in Bryce, mine like going to the beach...

1 (22).jpg
    1200 x 900 - 661K
    1 (12).jpg
    1201 x 900 - 342K
    BoraBoraSpaBkg.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 402K
    Smile and say... HEY!!!.jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    1 (31).jpg
    1200 x 900 - 621K
    1 (34).jpg
    2000 x 1500 - 2M
    1 (30).jpg
    1200 x 900 - 331K
  • Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799

Brycescaper- Those are fantastic renders! So are you saying that

bryce has enough overhead in availble ram to sustain not only 3 to 4 Genesis figures wearing different skins (I assume) and also the full environment of palm trees and everything? That's very impressive. The only thing I might wish for in a perfect world was for softer shadpws, though not too soft mind you, but a little bit of less intensity at the edges of the shadows. But this is me nitpicking, I love the brightness and overall feel of the renders. Great job!

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

64 bits and not having render outputs limited artificially might get me to try Bryce more seriously.

As it is I mainly use it as a terrain generator (which is loads of fun)

• MonkeyTMonkeyT Posts: 9

Having spent years running a Virtual Snow Leopard Server solely for Brycing ( because PC Bryce still doesn't feel natural to me ), I would kill for a Bryce that could run on the current Mac OS.  MacOS seems tailor made for a vastly improved experience, even if they can't add a single feature.  Like many great software applications that outlive the very platforms that spawned them, it seems destined to languish in limbo.  I would love to see the original CodeWarrior code open-sourced, but that's never going to happen.  

What intrigues me most about it all is that Bryce's Mac interface seems more than halfway compatible with iOS application interface styles.  I used to run Bryce on a Quadra650 - Bryce on a modern iPad would kick serious butt.

• Chohole said:

Not much later.  a couple of years later.  The first commercial version, Bryce 1.0, appeared in 1994 for the Mac.  Bryce 2 came along in 1996, with the first stable version of Br2 for PC actually arriving in 1997.

I remember those days..I started with Bryce 2