April 2017 - Daz 3D New User Challenge - Open Render Challenge

Comments

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Shinji ikari:  the guy shooting monster is another great scene.  A suggestion would be to give the guy a more animated expression and have the creature appear to be lunging or reaching for him.  It might help to give an immediacy to the scene which would add to the excitement.

Have him barking out orders, gave him some backup in the form of cheetah girl, and changed the demon's pose

Cheetah girl’s right foot is not on the ground.  Is there a way to lay her ears back or are they just rigid?

To add to the intensity of this scene, here's some suggestions the soldier's pose:

1. Have him lean back on his right leg, with his left extended a little.  Make sure his weight is on the right leg - stand in that position yourself so you get the feel of the pose.  Draw and imaginary line from his head to his foot - the center of his body mass must be over the right leg for balance.

2. Change the arms and gun.  I see that his right elbow is bent - change the angle so that his forearm is up against his body, and bring the gun back.  This is a heavy weapon, and its center of gravity should be closer to his right leg.  Just pick up something long and heavy yourself and you will see what I mean.  If you bring the right elbow back, it will give the feeling of a weapon recoiling.

3. Maybe have him lean back a little - but again remember that the center of gravity must be over his right leg.

4. Expression - exaggerate the frowning eyebrows, because we are looking at him from the side.  Also, how would gritted teeth look?  Shoot for angry here, because he looks more shocked than "you want a piece of me, well here it is."

5. Is it me or it appears that the gun isn't pointed at the monster.  Also, consider something happening to the monster - little explosions, or are the bullets bouncing off?

6. The monster's pose looks pretty good to me.  Maybe open his mouth to look more menacing. 

Lighting:  This looks pretty good - monochromatic. 

• Shinji Ikari 9thShinji Ikari 9th Posts: 1,163
    edited April 2017
    dracorn said:

Shinji ikari:  the guy shooting monster is another great scene.  A suggestion would be to give the guy a more animated expression and have the creature appear to be lunging or reaching for him.  It might help to give an immediacy to the scene which would add to the excitement.

Have him barking out orders, gave him some backup in the form of cheetah girl, and changed the demon's pose

Cheetah girl’s right foot is not on the ground.  Is there a way to lay her ears back or are they just rigid?

To add to the intensity of this scene, here's some suggestions the soldier's pose:

1. Have him lean back on his right leg, with his left extended a little.  Make sure his weight is on the right leg - stand in that position yourself so you get the feel of the pose.  Draw and imaginary line from his head to his foot - the center of his body mass must be over the right leg for balance.

2. Change the arms and gun.  I see that his right elbow is bent - change the angle so that his forearm is up against his body, and bring the gun back.  This is a heavy weapon, and its center of gravity should be closer to his right leg.  Just pick up something long and heavy yourself and you will see what I mean.  If you bring the right elbow back, it will give the feeling of a weapon recoiling.

3. Maybe have him lean back a little - but again remember that the center of gravity must be over his right leg.

4. Expression - exaggerate the frowning eyebrows, because we are looking at him from the side.  Also, how would gritted teeth look?  Shoot for angry here, because he looks more shocked than "you want a piece of me, well here it is."

5. Is it me or it appears that the gun isn't pointed at the monster.  Also, consider something happening to the monster - little explosions, or are the bullets bouncing off?

6. The monster's pose looks pretty good to me.  Maybe open his mouth to look more menacing. 

Here we are with version c.

Added some sparks from rounds hitting the demon, put some meat on both fighters bones, tried to adjust how the leftmost hero is handling his weapon and changed his attire to match Cheetah Girl's, and finally I got Cheetah Girl down on the ground and tweeked her ears to try and put them back some more.

april2017-2c.png
    1043 x 872 - 2M
    Post edited by Shinji Ikari 9th on
  • AloreeaAloreea Posts: 285
    edited April 2017

Ok, so before I make any scene changes, I just wanted to play around with the color and stuff. I think I like the original better, but I just had to ask what you guys think about this.

IMG_20170416_185646.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 660K
    Post edited by Aloreea on
    dracorn said:

Added some sparks from rounds hitting the demon, put some meat on both fighters bones, tried to adjust how the leftmost hero is handling his weapon and changed his attire to match Cheetah Girl's, and finally I got Cheetah Girl down on the ground and tweeked her ears to try and put them back some more.

Now we're cooking with gas... well, maybe rounds.  I like the gunfire effect on the monster.  This actually makes it scarier, because the beastie is still coming.

This looks better - much more action.  He looks like the gun is kicking back and that it's heavy. 

Aloreea said:

Ok, so before I make any scene changes, I just wanted to play around with the color and stuff. I think I like the original better, but I just had to ask what you guys think about this.

This is a nice soft color scheme. 

I'm assuming you did this in Photoshop or GIMP.  Now if you can keep the background this color and bring full color back to the girl, this would make a statement.  Maybe have some of the color on the cables close to her, and fading out futher away from her.

• Aloreea said:

I much prefer the clean uncoloured look, awesome composition. What is the skin/character BTW?
    dracorn said:
    Aloreea said:

This is a nice soft color scheme. 

I'm assuming you did this in Photoshop or GIMP.  Now if you can keep the background this color and bring full color back to the girl, this would make a statement.  Maybe have some of the color on the cables close to her, and fading out futher away from her.

ooh, that's a pretty cool idea thanks..will be right back!

edited April 2017
    Aloreea said:

I much prefer the clean uncoloured look, awesome composition. What is the skin/character BTW?

I kind of like the original one better too...but I like this one alot as well. So hard to choose! XD Also here it is> https://www.daz3d.com/pix-synx-for-genesis-3-female

• Aloreea said:

I prefer the original. The sepia tone in most cases suggests vintage to me. Love the original :)

Aloreea said:

I prefer the original. The sepia tone in most cases suggests vintage to me. Love the original :)

Thanks! I think with this color scheme, I lost the peaceful, bright look.

Aloreea said:
    Aloreea said:

But the monocromatic scene did accomplish one thing - it softened the look of the base, which I thought was a little distracting. It also softened the bright white glow behind her.  So if you can find a way to soften the light and the base in your original, I think you'll achieve a good meld between the two renders.

I see what you're saying...

dracorn said:
    Aloreea said:
    Aloreea said:

But the monocromatic scene did accomplish one thing - it softened the look of the base, which I thought was a little distracting. It also softened the bright white glow behind her.  So if you can find a way to soften the light and the base in your original, I think you'll achieve a good meld between the two renders.

So I attempted to soften it up, while keeping the white, simple color scheme.

Sci Fi 1.png
    1920 x 1080 - 937K
    edited April 2017

I see what you're saying...

dracorn said:
    Aloreea said:
    Aloreea said:

also added this weird hint of color at the bottom..might be going a bit over the top though

It's not going over the top - it looks great!  The platform is there which gives continuity with the floor, but it is purely background and does not detract from your figure.  The hint of color is a very nice touch.  The depth of field is also excellent, as even the tentacles are fading off in the distance.  You've kept that powerful negative space on the left and the central light is not too garish.

Good job!

dracorn said:

It's not going over the top - it looks great!  The platform is there which gives continuity with the floor, but it is purely background and does not detract from your figure.  The hint of color is a very nice touch.  The depth of field is also excellent, as even the tentacles are fading off in the distance.  You've kept that powerful negative space on the left and the central light is not too garish.

Good job!

Thank you! also thanks for your help!

• bluetidesbluetides Posts: 19
    Aloreea said:

also added this weird hint of color at the bottom..might be going a bit over the top though

It looks great the way it is.  I think the red tone in the background object compliments her and adds a sensuality to an otherwise sterile lab environment.  

• bluetidesbluetides Posts: 19
    dracorn said:

What a difference in the scene after the changes.  You've made it a more do or die situation for the main subject now that the creature is moving toward him.  

• NoswenNoswen Posts: 358

Hey there,

I'm completely new at this, literally finished the tutorials about a week ago so thought I may as well put up my second render here (the first was pretty much just messing around with settings and no idea in mind at all).

This is Filbert, a mad sword fighting chaos mage. Mostly wanting to get over that he's both a bit unhinged and also having the time of his life.

Proto-Filbert.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 267K
  • harrykimharrykim Posts: 225
    edited April 2017

ok, here I am again

Version 2

Should the spider and its net be a bit more out of focus ? The white dotts in the bush I will remove, but for now I was just happy to get it rendered to the end.

Looking forward to your thinkings.

One question, … When I click DoF to „on“ and check the rendercam through perspective view, I see only 3 frames. Should`nt it be 4 ?

Version2.png
    1000 x 714 - 1M
    Post edited by Chohole on

I spent a fair chunk of yesterday playing around with changing materials and shaders, managed to eventually get something that rendered a bit better I think. The mouth and teeth in particular no longer look so odd. On top of that I also changed the hair because I thought it was a little over the top, even for this character, and added some bracers to his arms.

Proto-Filbert 3.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 272K
    edited April 2017

Hey Noswen, just an idea. Since it is a dusk scene you could make the light a bit warmer.

You know,  ... Lights Pane - photometric - temperature

Post edited by harrykim on
  • ricswikaricswika Posts: 132
    edited April 2017

Title: Attractive Young Samurai 

S/W: Daz Studio, Iray, Genesis 3, Samurai Outfit, Vixen Hair

These are the first decent looking renders I ever made with Daz Studio and Iray. I always used Blender Cycles for rendering because I liked the more realistic lighting. I have a killer Nvidia workstation, so I might as well learn how to use Iray.

I see some things to fix, like the position of the arms over her head make the close up a little confusing. I like the skin tones and texture.

I'd really like to make the hair more realistic somehow. Any suggestions? What else needs to be fixed to make her look more realistic? That is full HD rendered at the best possible quality, converged to 100%. It took less than 1/2 hour to render. It looked good in about 1 minute.

The close up above is from the image below, but with a slightly more fierce expression. Wouldn't want to meet up with her in a dark alley.

Image removed for nudity. Please see this thread for info: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3279/acceptable-ways-of-handling-nudity

Sorry, I didn't realize you could see anything through her hair. Here is another try using the top that came with that outfit. I don't see anything now, please excuse me if I still don't understand what is considered nudity here. I hope the "bottom boob" is ok

I recently picked up 3 water-cooled GT580s for cheap on fleabay, plus a new 1500-watt power supply to beef up my workstation. That's like over 1500 CUDAs waiting for something to render. The benchmarks show the 580 is about half as fast as a brand new Titan X, so I figured 3 of them combined should really kick butt. For comparison, in "Blender" I get renders about 50x faster for near real-time performance in my viewport. So I decided to give Iray a shot in Daz studio.

NOT GOOD. Incredibly slow and dark, ugly, even out of focus renders and crashes galore with any image over about 500x500. I made sure I was using all IRAY materials and lighting and still very bad results. I let one render run OVERNIGHT and it still wasn't finished the next morning and then crashed my computer while saving. I had to give up on IRAY.

Ok, this made no sense and that gave me a hunch. A quick search and I found out I had to disable my SLI for IRAY to work with multiple GPUs. Very strange since SLI is a dedicated bus so the GPUs can share information. Anyway, it's easy to turn SLI on or off at will through the NVIDIA control panel,

I enabled all three GPUs on the Render Tab under Advanced and disabled CPU. The performance is very good now and very few crashes, but still a few bugs. I can drag my windows around while rendering with no delay. If I check CPU as well that isn't true and the GUI becomes somewhat unresponsive. Sometimes, the render stops using the GPUs for no reason and I have to restart Daz studio. Interactive mode with the update interval turned down is now close to blender cycles level performance. Final renders are about 4 times slower than "Blender Cycles" for the same complexity (just an estimate). I also checked the optimization check box they have near the center of the Advanced tab and that seemed to work fine and add more speed.

SamIrayCloseup.png
    1080 x 1920 - 3M
    SamuriaStanding.jpg
    1080 x 1920 - 89K
    Post edited by ricswika on
    edited April 2017

Here is the final render. You can still tell it is CG. The hair and bangs give it away, but still Iray does an impressive job.

VixenHiRes2.png
    1080 x 1920 - 2M
    Post edited by ricswika on
    harrykim said:
    harrykim said:

Hi there, nothing special. I´ve started with the idea to creat a something with water. This is what comes out

Maybe a little too crystal clear. I'd like to see you add some depth-of-field and focus on the subject, I think the racoon. Nice work.

• mike_from_nzmike_from_nz Posts: 113
    edited April 2017

I haven't been able to spend much time on this unfortunately. I would still love to fill that bookcase! However, I have tightened the crop and made the faces focus more on map.

test_render_6.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by mike_from_nz on
    ricswika said:
    harrykim said:
    harrykim said:

Maybe a little too crystal clear. I'd like to see you add some depth-of-field and focus on the subject, I think the racoon. Nice work.

hey ricswika, thank you for your comment. You picked version one.  In the second version I changed some things. The DoF I have set is a bit too soft, but I could´nt bring it to appear stronger ... and since it meanwhile took 9h30m to render ( althought all surfaces have iray shader) , I have not that many tries to ckeck if the effects I bring in are working.

So I still wait a while to see if there are any technical suggestion or ideas for improvement, and do the final render

edited April 2017
    ricswika said:

These are the first decent looking renders I ever made with Daz Studio and Iray. I always used Blender Cycles for rendering because I liked the more realistic lighting. I have a killer Nvidia workstation, so I might as well learn how to use Iray.

I see some things to fix, like the position of the arms over her head make the close up a little confusing. I like the skin tones and texture.

I'd really like to make the hair more realistic somehow. Any suggestions? What else needs to be fixed to make her look more realistic? That is full HD rendered at the best possible quality, converged to 100%. It took less than 1/2 hour to render. It looked good in about 1 minute.

The close up above is from the image below, but with a slightly more fierce expression. Wouldn't want to meet up with her in a dark alley.

Image removed for nudity. Please see this thread for info: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3279/acceptable-ways-of-handling-nudity

Sorry, I didn't realize you could see anything through her hair. Here is another try using the top that came with that outfit. I don't see anything now, please excuse me if I still don't understand what is considered nudity here. I hope the "bottom boob" is ok

I recently picked up 3 water-cooled GT580s for cheap on fleabay, plus a new 1500-watt power supply to beef up my workstation. That's like over 1500 CUDAs waiting for something to render. The benchmarks show the 580 is about half as fast as a brand new Titan X, so I figured 3 of them combined should really kick butt. For comparison, in "Blender" I get renders about 50x faster for near real-time performance in my viewport. So I decided to give Iray a shot in Daz studio.

NOT GOOD. Incredibly slow and dark, ugly, even out of focus renders and crashes galore with any image over about 500x500. I made sure I was using all IRAY materials and lighting and still very bad results. I let one render run OVERNIGHT and it still wasn't finished the next morning and then crashed my computer while saving. I had to give up on IRAY.

Ok, this made no sense and that gave me a hunch. A quick search and I found out I had to disable my SLI for IRAY to work with multiple GPUs. Very strange since SLI is a dedicated bus so the GPUs can share information. Anyway, it's easy to turn SLI on or off at will through the NVIDIA control panel,

I enabled all three GPUs on the Render Tab under Advanced and disabled CPU. The performance is very good now and very few crashes, but still a few bugs. I can drag my windows around while rendering with no delay. If I check CPU as well that isn't true and the GUI becomes somewhat unresponsive. Sometimes, the render stops using the GPUs for no reason and I have to restart Daz studio. Interactive mode with the update interval turned down is now close to blender cycles level performance. Final renders are about 4 times slower than "Blender Cycles" for the same complexity (just an estimate). I also checked the optimization check box they have near the center of the Advanced tab and that seemed to work fine and add more speed.

Did not see the "topless" version, but I can imagine that it would not matter to her what others thinking about. However, for my feeling she need a bit more space on the left and right. And I´m not sure if the white boots ( and top) are best choice. Well done so far

Btw. concerning the disc in the background. Do you have something like a monochrome jin and jang relief ?

Thanks for the feedback. That white disk is a reflector and part of my lighting rig, I didn't really want it to be visible. However,  I am mainly concerened with the portrait render and probably should not have posted the full body shot since I only want feedback on the portrait. I only included the full body shot to show the arm position. I like your idea of making that disk a ying yang or similiar if I do work on that view.

harrykim said:
    ricswika said:

Did not see the "topless" version, but I can imagine that it would not matter to her what others thinking about. However, for my feeling she need a bit more space on the left and right. And I´m not sure if the white boots ( and top) are best choice. Well done so far

Btw. concerning the disc in the background. Do you have something like a monochrome jin and jang relief ?

edited April 2017

ah ok the portrait. For technical advices my skills are to low. But if I understand right, the disc is a light plane. Guess you want to light the hair for a nice contrast. For this purposes it could be a bit brighter.

You can btw.make the disc invisible. Scrall down the cutout opacity to something like 0.00000001. If I remember correct the light intensity goes lower, but then just increase the lumen again. I mean the lumen in the attached image is 500k

Screenshot (17).png
    1920 x 1080 - 927K
    Screenshot (18).png
    1920 x 1080 - 1M
    harrykim said:

Hey Noswen, just an idea. Since it is a dusk scene you could make the light a bit warmer.

You know,  ... Lights Pane - photometric - temperature

Thanks for the idea.

I must be doing something wrong with this though, I've tried raising the temperature setting, then raising it all the way to the maximum, then even lowering it but I can't see any difference with the renders no matter what I do with the temperature. The scene's set up with a diffuse light from behind the character and slightly to his left as that's where the image of the sun is in the background and a spotlight in front of him so that the character can be seen properly. Also has a point light on his hand for the green glow effect, but I doubt that's doing anything on this.