Installing twice?

Hi, I'm confused (surprise!)

I just started using Daz Studio and the Install Manager / installation process is confusing me.

If I download content and install using the DIM then it goes into Daz Studio and I can use it no problem. 'Browse file location' shows that it is where I'd expect it to be (content folder). But it appears in the smart content pane with a little icon in the topright corner. The icon is a dashed circle with a triangle, if I right-click it gives the option to install (didn't I just do that?).

If I install again from here then it seems to install it again in the 'data > cloud' folder within my content library folder and then little dashed circle icon disappears.

But if I don't use the DIM and instead install from within Daz studio, then the content goes straight to the 'data > cloud' folder. No little dashed circle icon appears.But then if I look in the DIM, the item appears as available to download and install as if I haven't downloaded and installed it already.

Can someone please explain this to me? Do these two not communicate with each other properly? Or is one method only doing a partial install?

Is this how it's supposed to work or have I messed something up? Is it actually installing it twice? Should I use one method of installing over the other?

I spent ages trying to work this out but have given up guessing and thought I should just ask, sorry, I'm sure it's a stupid question.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The Connect install and the DIM install are not the same, as you've found. If both are present DS will prefer the Connect isntall. Connect does have the advantage, for those with data caps or slow download speeds, that updats can fetch only the changed files and not the whole zip as DIM has to do. Items that have not been installed via Connect (but can be) will always show the circled arrow icon at top-right to show that - however, they will work normally (if you double-click on the product it will open the DIM copy, not try to download the Connect).

You can stop DIM from showing items which have been isntalled via Connect, or even stop it from showing items that can be instaled via Connect - click the Download Filters button on the Ready to Download tab and scroll to the bottom to see the two checkboxes that affect this.

• supernoobsupernoob Posts: 153

Thank you Richard,

So nothing has gone wrong at least. But I was installing two copies and wasting a chunk of disk space by doing that then?

I don't really see why you're still able to download it twice into the same content library though, unless I'm missing something in how they are supposed to be utilised.

• supernoob said:

Thank you Richard,

So nothing has gone wrong at least. But I was installing two copies and wasting a chunk of disk space by doing that then?

I don't really see why you're still able to download it twice into the same content library though, unless I'm missing something in how they are supposed to be utilised.

This just happened to me as well. I downloaded and installed with the Install Manager then opened DAZ and had to download and install content again. Is this using double the hard drive space? Waste of time waste of space? It doesn't make sense at all.

• I'm getting that too, how can I just load them up if I already installed them. Everything in my smart content is grey and wants me to download again.
  • Are you closing DS, starting DIM, instaling, closing DIM, and starting DS? That can cause issues as PostgreSQL can end up closed while DIM is running, leading to no database entries showing the content installed. If that's not likely to be the issue then the next suspect would be the security software on your system - what are you using?

• KI3KI3 Posts: 38

Same issue here, I'm probably looking to uninstall daz and start from scratch, I can't see a situation where I need it to consume twice as much hard drive space if that's whats happening 

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    SixThree said:

Same issue here, I'm probably looking to uninstall daz and start from scratch, I can't see a situation where I need it to consume twice as much hard drive space if that's whats happening 

If you're having this problem, uninstalling DS won't fix it, it's the Content that's installed twice.