Why can I not categorize anymore???

Hi,

I'm experiencing some - so far unexplained - difficulties. I'm sure it just means something got inadvertently turned off, problem is I don't know how to turn it back on.

For a while how I was busy trying to categorize content so I can more easily find the expansons for hair, clothing etc. But then I let it rest for a while (too busy with actual work) and in between upgraded to 4.9 pro (now the program take 5 minutes to start thank you very much).

I tried to get back to categorizing content the other day, but it doesn't work anymore. I can still create the folders but the references I try to put into them no longer show up after, there are just a whole bunch of empty folders. The stuff I had categorized earlier is still there (thank God).

Possibly part of the same problem (?): I noticed that my smart content panel seems to be inactive as well (as in absolutely nothing shows up there anymore).

What am I missing? What got switched off? And/or how  do I turn it back on?

Thanks for any aid you can give.

Comments

• I assume you are not getting the complaint about no PostgreSQL connection when you launch DS?

• I assume you are not getting the complaint about no PostgreSQL connection when you launch DS?

I extra checked again just now. No I do not get any complaint or any error message of any type. Neither during the start-up process nor when Studio finally actually loaded. 

I have been wondering about the lengthy start up though. Is it normal that the program now spends literally several minutes every time to first load (that is still done quite fast) and then upgrade (which always takes for ever) the CMS before the studio loads?

• No, first launch can take a while but it shouldn't need to convert on every launch (I think it dos have to update content isntalled with DIM, but unless you are installing massive amounts between launches of DS that should be quick). What security software are you running?

• No, first launch can take a while but it shouldn't need to convert on every launch (I think it dos have to update content isntalled with DIM, but unless you are installing massive amounts between launches of DS that should be quick). What security software are you running?

Im using: Avira Antivirus Pro (and Avira System Speedup - although that's not security) and the standard Windows Firewall

I have recently bought some new content (and yes I always use the DIM), but definitely not massive amounts and not before every launch :)

• Try disconnecting from the web, disabling the Avira software, and booting DS (assuming it isn't set to log-in on launch - no internet access will then slow that down). If that fixes the speed issue it points the finger at Avira, if not it is probably something else.

• Try disconnecting from the web, disabling the Avira software, and booting DS (assuming it isn't set to log-in on launch - no internet access will then slow that down). If that fixes the speed issue it points the finger at Avira, if not it is probably something else.

Nope, that wasn't it...

• Then I'm not sure what could be causing the issue. It isn't a universal thing.

• 1234MATT1234MATT Posts: 219
    Hi. I can't help you with your problem but have been trying to get it right on these products and category things...where do I ll9k to get the info you are using to to do that? Thanks
  • father1776father1776 Posts: 982

I bet...

when you make a new category in the file tree, there is a poorly placed option in

the drop down menu which will delete your entire tree.

luck for you it just drops it from studio and does not erase it from the harddrive.

If this is the case, you should be able start a new file tree and when it says, which file do you want to use,

you might be able to find your old file tree listed..just re-choose that.

just a shot in the dark

• I bet...

when you make a new category in the file tree, there is a poorly placed option in

the drop down menu which will delete your entire tree.

luck for you it just drops it from studio and does not erase it from the harddrive.

If this is the case, you should be able start a new file tree and when it says, which file do you want to use,

you might be able to find your old file tree listed..just re-choose that.

just a shot in the dark

No my problem is not with categories I had created earlier, they are all there and all work. My problem is that suddenly I cannot add new items to it. I can still create new categories and new folders, but when I check mark them to put in references to the content nothing happens. I then just have an empty file called the way I wanted to call it. For example I had previously categorized the Moroccan Dream (I think it's called) set in sub-categories for V4 and M4. This is done and I find all the files there. But then I wanted to add another sub category for MATs from one of the expansions. I went to the product, highlighted the MAT files used the categorize link created the new MATs subcategory for Moroccan Dream and checkmarked it... but then when I went to my own categories, I had the Moroccan Dream I could load it up  etc. but when I then went into the new MAT sub category I had just created it was empty non of the references I put into it showed up... (yes I tried the process numerous times to rule out just having forgotten to check mark it or a similar dumb mistake.) 

@123MATT there is some video tutorial on how to do this I think you can find it on YouTube, but I don't remember how I originally got to the video, sorry I'm not more help right now.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

It might be database corruption -- try exporting user data (if you've done it before, move the old export files so they won't get overwritten, just in case), resetting the database, and re-importing metadata, then see if you can categorize again.

• It might be database corruption -- try exporting user data (if you've done it before, move the old export files so they won't get overwritten, just in case), resetting the database, and re-importing metadata, then see if you can categorize again.

I'm afraid I need a bit more blush how? (ie how do I export user data and re-import it and how do I reset the data base? - where do I find these options and/or if it is several steps what steps do I need to take?)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

From the Content Library context menu (rectangle with horizontal lines in the upper corner) > Content DB Maintenance

First, Export User Data.

Then, Reset Database

Then, Re-Import Metadata.

• From the Content Library context menu (rectangle with horizontal lines in the upper corner) > Content DB Maintenance

First, Export User Data.

Then, Reset Database

Then, Re-Import Metadata.

I was afraid it would be something this simple I should have guessed to check the "Content DB Maintenance" tab... thanks for explaining. And yes that did it, mike just fixed my PC so double thanks for that.