Medina Cityscape Generator [Commercial]

13»

Comments

• Epic82Epic82 Posts: 124

Hello, V3Digitimes. I go by the name of Justicehonor here at Daz. I'm absolutely thrilled to see this new product from you and Ansiko. I haven't bought your product yet, but I've been searching for a product like this for some time now. Having used several of your products in the past, I know this product will be easy and fun to use. I'm pleased to see that not only is this set large, it also comes with low-poly figures, trees, and props, which can add more realism to my renders. This product is based on Arab cultures. But the ancient biblical city of Babylon that I've suggested here is very similar to this product, and I'm dying to see something like it, along with Mesopotamian outfits and props, offered here at Daz3D. But I'll buy your product anyway, and have as much fun with it as I can.      

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528
    edited March 2017

Thanks, barbult. I really like the scripts and the set. Wish, we will get more different sets,

or even better the universal script to allow placements of any kind of buldings, trees and props and people, as well.

Post edited by Artini on
  • V3DigitimesV3Digitimes Posts: 3,049
    barbult said:
    Artini said:

Works on uneven terrain, too.

That really looks nice. The sloped terrain added a lot of interest, I think.

Yes at the beginning the surrounding slopes were mainly here to avoid people wondering what they could put behind the cityscape. The whole terrain is surrounded by dunes solving this issue. Then after testing I realized that these dunes could also add more variety and interest to the cityscape itself.

The dunes can be morphed "flat" so that if you anyway want another background, this is possible.

Spit said:

This is just an amazing set--every bit of it.

Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

Hello, V3Digitimes. I go by the name of Justicehonor here at Daz. I'm absolutely thrilled to see this new product from you and Ansiko. I haven't bought your product yet, but I've been searching for a product like this for some time now. Having used several of your products in the past, I know this product will be easy and fun to use. I'm pleased to see that not only is this set large, it also comes with low-poly figures, trees, and props, which can add more realism to my renders. This product is based on Arab cultures. But the ancient biblical city of Babylon that I've suggested here is very similar to this product, and I'm dying to see something like it, along with Mesopotamian outfits and props, offered here at Daz3D. But I'll buy your product anyway, and have as much fun with it as I can.      

Thanks for the idea. Well what we see today is that "too specific cities" are not really popular. I think I, or I and Ansiko, will have to focus on more classical and "required" themes first (modern, sci-fi, medievaly, fantasy..). But I keep the idea in the list of what is possible to do, even if it is not the priority. Thanks!

Artini said:

Thanks, barbult. I really like the scripts and the set. Wish, we will get more different sets,

or even better the universal script to allow placements of any kind of buldings, trees and props and people, as well.

You should get more different sets.

For the universal script, even if I think it is technically not that hard, I'm not sure that it would allow to create nice cityscapes "easily".

I can tell you that we spent months (yes, we began in June-July and finished in December-January) in order to try what was working and what was not in term of shapes, shapes variety and variations, size limits, size variations limits, resolution, spatial repartition, so that, at the end, we have a plausible and easy to render cityscape.

The location of the Y of the props is also very important, also "what we put under the Y = 0". Indeed, if you have a slope, even a small slope, then the buildings need to have some "walls and everything bellow the 0" in order to support the slope - it is not visible on a flat terrain but required on a slope otherwise the building is either in the ground, or a part is floating. No other props I know has this feature.

The same way, if you use very different objects in term scale it gives a weird impression.

I think the script which would the most benefit the of being able to load anything would be the "Add human" one. Normally small elements (compared to a building) are selected, and then the slope should not be an issue. The zero would be an issue, but the script could put the 0 at the bottom of them.

I think anything will be improved theme after theme anyway. I never kept a script identical from one product to another, because I always had new ideas for a new product. We'll see.

Thanks again for the great tool, V3Digitimes. I like it very much, so forward my greetings to Ansiko, as well.

I have noticed, when trying this slopped terrain and when the buildings was placed, that it is some advaced stuff going there.

Will wait for the new sets with generators, then.

You're really welcome :)

For now I work on something else, but it is in my to do list... my huuuuuuge to do list :)

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805

Click here for a 360 view of Medina.

• Epic82Epic82 Posts: 124

I've purchased your product. It will take me some time to learn how to work with it, but thank you, and Ansiko, for such an awesome set! 

RGcincy said:

Click here for a 360 view of Medina.

Thanks a lot for sharing!!! I did not know this was possible.

Cityscape generator is almost ready for VR....

I've purchased your product. It will take me some time to learn how to work with it, but thank you, and Ansiko, for such an awesome set! 

You're welcome, and thank you too!

JusticeHonor, whenever you have questions or you need help, just ask me. Normally it has been conceived to be very simple to use for everybody, but have some nice customization features for advanced users, but if you have any doubt or questions, feel free to ask here or via MP the way you prefer :)

Thanks! For now no special theme is planned. Since it is a collaboration, we first have to find time to agree on what we do and when we do it.. But thanks for the idea :)

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,745
    Artini said:

Thanks a lot for the explanation, V3Digitimes. I will try your suggestions.

I really like the scripts and hope you will continue creating such awesome generators. They will save a lot of time during creating the scenes.

On my renders, I have used procedural terrain included with the set.

I know that the placement is complicated, but hope that with some magic math and your skills we will get it solved.

Thanks for being so indulgent and nice !

I join here the script which will drop the human beings on the high rez terrain. The way to use it is simple. Select all the human beings which are not at the right height regarding the high resolution terrain (well the terrain you see). Please do not select anything else (or you might drop cameras, buildings, etc, etc). Then double click this script. It will drop the selected elements to the exact altitude for them.

Take care, it takes a few seconds for each Human so don't select 1000 human at the same time, unless if you want to go and take a shower and take a coffee ;)

I mentionned 2 scripts initially but the script to "drop on low rez terrain" does not make sufficient effect on the border of the terrain. So maybe I'll keep only the "drop on High rez terrain" version of the script, which is the one solving the issue.

This script will solve the issue..... Well just let me know if it does not, but it should.

THE SCRIPT TO DROP YOUR PEOPLE ON THE TERRAIN WHEN THEY ARE TOO HIGH OR NOT ENOUGH HIGH IS ATTACHED HERE ====>

To be honest, I haven't brought this product as it's a bit too much of a one-trick pony for my taste, especially since I currently have no need for the middle eastern locale that lacks any real modern features.  I WOULD be more interested in something with more modern architecture and clothing mixxed in, plus low poly vehicles on top of the people, so I'll be keeping an eye out for future developments.  Also, am I correct in assuming that the scripts in this thread work only with the cityscape generator and not any other instancing program?  

edited June 2017

Judging from the amount of the work the creators have put into the set, I will not suspect to be coming something new, soon.

There are some tips in this thread, about how to make the scripts to handle different items, but it is not so easy to do.

For more general use, Ultra Scatter is still the best. If you want some more freedom, learn Unity 3D or buy a suitable

set in the Unity Asset store. In their store they have many generators and items placement tools, that already exist.

Post edited by Artini on
    Artini said:

Thanks a lot for the explanation, V3Digitimes. I will try your suggestions.

I really like the scripts and hope you will continue creating such awesome generators. They will save a lot of time during creating the scenes.

On my renders, I have used procedural terrain included with the set.

I know that the placement is complicated, but hope that with some magic math and your skills we will get it solved.

Thanks for being so indulgent and nice !

I join here the script which will drop the human beings on the high rez terrain. The way to use it is simple. Select all the human beings which are not at the right height regarding the high resolution terrain (well the terrain you see). Please do not select anything else (or you might drop cameras, buildings, etc, etc). Then double click this script. It will drop the selected elements to the exact altitude for them.

Take care, it takes a few seconds for each Human so don't select 1000 human at the same time, unless if you want to go and take a shower and take a coffee ;)

I mentionned 2 scripts initially but the script to "drop on low rez terrain" does not make sufficient effect on the border of the terrain. So maybe I'll keep only the "drop on High rez terrain" version of the script, which is the one solving the issue.

This script will solve the issue..... Well just let me know if it does not, but it should.

THE SCRIPT TO DROP YOUR PEOPLE ON THE TERRAIN WHEN THEY ARE TOO HIGH OR NOT ENOUGH HIGH IS ATTACHED HERE ====>

To be honest, I haven't brought this product as it's a bit too much of a one-trick pony for my taste, especially since I currently have no need for the middle eastern locale that lacks any real modern features.  I WOULD be more interested in something with more modern architecture and clothing mixxed in, plus low poly vehicles on top of the people, so I'll be keeping an eye out for future developments.  Also, am I correct in assuming that the scripts in this thread work only with the cityscape generator and not any other instancing program?  

I understand. Yes, the script works only with the props of the cityscape generator. We spend a lot of time optimizing the geometry of the elements so that the end is a coherent cityscape at the end. If people could pick up anything in the content library, I fear that the result may not be a coherent city. Furthermore if the terrain has a slope, placing a building on a slope produces bad result in term of "above the floor" or "burried in the floor" effect... But more modern things will probably be treated.

Artini said:

Judging from the amount of the work the creators have put into the set, I will not suspect to be coming something new, soon.

There are some tips in this thread, about how to make the scripts to handle different items, but it is not so easy to do.

For more general use, Ultra Scatter is still the best. If you want some more freedom, learn Unity 3D or buy a suitable

set in the Unity Asset store. In their store they have many generators and items placement tools, that already exist.

Yes for more general use, ultra scatter remains the first choice. This script differs here because it gives a "randomly organised" aspect in the alignments of the instances, generating a cityscape feeling. You're right a huge amount of work was put into this, and for a next product, there are new things that I'd like to improve. But for now, me and Ansiko work separately on something else.

• Hmmm... I missed this one when it came out.  I'll have to put it on my wish list.

• MouserMouser Posts: 675

I noticed there is an update to the Medina Cityscape Generater in the Install Manager, is there any info regarding the update?

Mouser said:

I noticed there is an update to the Medina Cityscape Generater in the Install Manager, is there any info regarding the update?

Yes, I think I added a note in the ReadMe. Not sure because it is an update which is 100% invisible for the user. In case this is not done, here is what I did:

"Medina Cityscape 01 Generator and Medina Cityscape 03 Hide Or Show Instances have been updated in order to take into account the new way to handle instance visibility in Daz Studio 4.11, and to remain compatible with the way this visibility is handled in Daz Studio 4.9 and 4.10."

This is due to the fact that the way to handle instance visibility by script has changed. So everything related to this has to be updated. Other updates of other products should follow (they are ready but I am so stressed to "break something" when I submit update that I always spend a long time - too much maybe - to test).

• MouserMouser Posts: 675

Oops v4.11, shows my ingorance, I'm still on v4.10.

Thanks for the update;)

Mouser said:

Oops v4.11, shows my ingorance, I'm still on v4.10.

Thanks for the update;)

lol! You're welcome! The 4.11 is on public beta build, the "normal" build I think is still 4.10, don't worry I think you're ok with your version. Anyway Richard and some friends were nice enough to warn me that I will have to update any script related to instance visibility already a while ago, but it's only now that I have a bit more time to re-test and submit the updates (which are for a lot of them ready since... last quarter of 2018).

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805

This is due to the fact that the way to handle instance visibility by script has changed. So everything related to this has to be updated. 

Wow, I bet that would affect a lot of products and PA's. Thanks for putting in the time to fix!

RGcincy said:

This is due to the fact that the way to handle instance visibility by script has changed. So everything related to this has to be updated. 

Wow, I bet that would affect a lot of products and PA's. Thanks for putting in the time to fix!

No problem ;) I think there is not a lot of scripted product playing with instance visibility. The non scripted product should (I hope, I think, not tested it) not be affected by this change.