sluggish weight map brush?

edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hello,

I seem to be unable to work with the weight map brush but I can't figure out why!
I use the actual Daz Studio Pro with Windows 64 on a high performance i7 core computer with 12 GB RAM.
There are no problems either with ZBrush or 3ds Max for comparison.
But there aren't any problems with skinning the default Genesis figure or other, comparable clothing models, from
the content library either. I tested them.
So I thought maybe my model (a boot) is to poly heavy and I decimated it to under 100.000 polys (even as Genesis has a
much higher poly count) but still...the moment I go with the weight map brush near my poor model the brush goes into strike mode.

I'm quite desperate...I don't know what I do wrong and I can't even find solace in a thread full with other complaints.
It seems I'm the only one with that problem?

Every advise will be greatly appreciated, thanks for your patience!

*goes back crying into corner*

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

So I thought maybe my model (a boot) is to poly heavy and I decimated it to under 100.000 polys (even as Genesis has a
    much higher poly count)

You 'decimated' it to under 100,000 polys, that is still massive in my opinion, what size was it to begin with?

The poly count for the base Genesis is about 19,000 polys, and most of the boots that I have in my collection are about 7,000 to 20,000 polys. Still, I don't think it should cause problems with a high end machine, can you post a screenshot of what you are doing?

• edited December 1969

My original model had around 240.000 polys...Oops!

I really thought the Genesis figure would have a much higher polycount. I'm used to model high poly stuff with my Max.
    But it seems that is really the matter here...I testet my model split up in Zbrush and testet one group after the other in Daz
    and there is only one group where the brush protests, the one with the most polys (lotsa extras)...hmmmm...

Oh well...back to reworking that whole thing. :(

Thanks for your tip. :)

• kitakoredazkitakoredaz Posts: 3,526
    edited December 1969

I recommend,, you show pic your setting of weight brush tools,
    and how you apply weight map with each node of the model (bone) ,, ^^;

(of course if you know well about each tool,, and just can not do well about some case,,
    you need not show your pic,, ,but I think if you do not set tools sensitivity as good value for your work.

Paint brush (weight map) tool, default 0.30 seems too strong to color weight,, I think.

may better 0.1 or 0.12 or more less value,, eg 0.08 .
    it is same about smooth brush. 0.2 or 0.25 work well. 0.5 seems too much.
    and I often change radius to tweak one or two poligon faces (vertices) in small complex area.

though when you hope to fill 100% weight map or many faces at same time,
    you may need default value or more large value,, but about these case,, need not use Paint brush,
    after select faces, (with poligon group editor,, or select by faces,, etc)
    fill selected faces work better .

then around filled area,, smooth,,with color brush or smooth brush or Filter weight etc,,,

• edited December 1969

Thank you very much, I will try all that out.

But I still think some (okay...a lot) polygon reducing is in order first. I had no idea about these limits of DAZ.
    My fault!

Thank you again :)