importing Daz figure to Carrara 8.5

I have saved a figure as a Duf file to my desk top with Daz. When I import it with Carrara, this is what I get. 

Thanks,

V4.2.jpg
1366 x 768 - 276K

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,852

V4 is in native Poser format, you are better off adding Poser runtimes to Carrara's browser and loading her from there.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Seems like it was V4-ballerina?

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited March 2017

V4 tutu.  Freak4 had a tutu

how did you save it exactly?

to save something with geometry, recommend saving it as a product,

i been saving the daz animals to duf format from poser files, and loading to carrara from my ds library.
    like the seal and the songbird remix, those birds are complex, lol 

only one giving me troubles so far is the millenium subdragon, fbms not coming over

Post edited by Mistara on
  • Joseph_TJoseph_T Posts: 43
    MistyRara said:

V4 tutu.  Freak4 had a tutu

how did you save it exactly?

to save something with geometry, recommend saving it as a product,

i been saving the daz animals to duf format from poser files, and loading to carrara from my ds library.
    like the seal and the songbird remix, those birds are complex, lol 

only one giving me troubles so far is the millenium subdragon, fbms not coming over

Hi. In Daz, I select "File" from the menu bar and select "Save" and save to my Desk Top.This is what I get, A .duf ans a PNG file.

V4.2_2.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 189K
    duf
    duf
    V4.2_2.duf
    2M
    V4Tutu.duf.png
    91 x 91 - 5K

saving to desktop won't give you the geometry.

are you saving just the tutu?  save it as a product, save it to a DS library, it could be an external library, 
    and load it to carrara from there, carrara would need to find the dsf file.

saving vicki to ds is involved, i'se still sorting it all put with the morph imports.

tee hee, i can sense wendy shaking her head at us. 

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311

Load the Items from the Carrara Content Browser.

that's why there's a content browser in Carrara,.and Poser, and Daz Studio,. ....so you can load content into the program.

Carrara can "LOAD" figures from POSER or DazSTUDIO ,. no need to open poser files in DS, save as duf etc,...

Load from the BROWSER.

transferring her to duf has benefits, can add smoothing modifiers on her clothes. 

no more magnets, dont need morphing clothes (was  great utility, but took a bit of setup)

Hi and thank you for all your help. I just discovered that when I use my laptop with windows 7, the Tutu will not load in Carrara, but it will when using my DeskTop with windowa 8.1. 

The reason why I was trying to save V4 with the Tutu in Daz, is so I could import it into Carrara.  I use the Daz install manager to install all the products, so I have no idea what the problem would be.

Again Thank You

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,852

is DAZ install manager set up to install Poser formats as well as DAZ studio?

Carrara actually uses Poser runtime structure the D|S duf library is a more recent addon.

I know its confusing as you are probably familiar by now with DAZ studio and how it works but most the older content such as V4 was made to work with the program Poser.

Carrara was designed to also use that structure which is why it is far better to load her and the tutu from the Poser runtime than from a duf file.

Thank you, 

On my laptop I have two files, both labeled Performer for V4, only the second file works in Carrara. So what you are saying is that if I have two files and one has Ps

Pink Oak Room

&  

Pink Oak Room Ps

I should select the Ps when loading stuff in Carrara? 

V4.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 292K
  • DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,083
    edited March 2017

It depends on the figure. 

Older Daz figures were rigged to be used in Poser natively.  For convenience, let us use Michael and Victoria as the benchmarks, with the numbers corresponding to the order they were released.  Victorias 1, 2, 3, and 4 were deisgned to be used in Poser.  Their basic installation structure was to be put in a "Runtime" folder because that is how Poser organizes content.  A runtime folder has subfolders for Geometries (obj mesh), figures (character sets), Poses, etc.    If you look in your Carrara content room under the Content tab (sorry for using same word twice), you will see a few folders.  At least one has the word "Runtime" in the name..  It is organzed for Poser stuff to be available in Carrara (or in Daz Studio for that matter).  If you open this folder, you will see subfolders for "Faces," "Figures," Hair," "Hands", "Poses," and "Props."  By default, Victoria 1, 2, 3, and 4 are installed in ...Runtime\Figures\Daz People.  Older Daz content and content from RuntimeDNA and many other sourcs also use Poser installation as the standard, and install in a similar way.  This isn't a Carrara thing.  It is an old hobbyist industry standard.

Daz changed its basic organization of content around the time it released Genesis 1.  Daz abandoned the Poser standard at that time, and Genesis was not initially compatible with Poser.  Thus, genesis and genesis 2 will not work properly in Carrara if loaded from the Runtime folder.  For Poser, the DSON conversion files followed shortly thereafter, but Carrara users are much better off loading Genesis and Genesis 2 natively rather than using the DSON conversons..  The figures Victoria 5 and Michael 5 are both based on Genesis 1, thus confusion of the numbers.   Victoria 5, 6 and Michael 5, 6 should NOT be loaded from the Runtime folder even if they appear there.  In Carrara, load anything based on genesis and genesis 2 from the file folder that does NOT have the wod Runtime in it.  Daz now uses its DUF files as its standard and encourages its users to use a smart content system. 

More trivia than necessary, and someone may come along and correct a small detail or two.  The bottom line is

Load Victoria 4, Michael 4, and related content from a subfolder of the Runtime folder.

Do NOT load genesis and later, including Victoria 5,6 and Michael 5,6 from a Runtime folder.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

This thread should be a sticky.

For a couple of months now, I have been using older figures, and I thought that I was getting sooo sophisticated in finding things.

Then a few days ago, I tried to load a Genesis 2, and immediately got lost again.  Took a long time to solve.  And then, after loading, I couldn't find the morphs, and spent time floundering around again.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited March 2017

For a couple of months now, I have been using older figures, and I thought that I was getting sooo sophisticated in finding things.

Then a few days ago, I tried to load a Genesis 2, and immediately got lost again.  Took a long time to solve.  And then, after loading, I couldn't find the morphs, and spent time floundering around again.

I have all of the Gensis 2 figures from Daz... Since upgrading to Carrara 8.5 Pro they are all I load. I've not messed with looking for the morphs but I believe they can be found... click on Actor and note if the upper tabs change in the r/h panel.   I read about this somewhere but can't remember where.  I'm cranking up Carrara now and will get back to you.  BRB... ... ... .. .

Morphs are under Parameters after clicking on Actor. Just tried it for a few diff shapes/characters.  Note that I have been loading DUF format via Smart Content/Figures/People/Female/Real World.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588

John, my point was not that I couldn't find things, just that it took me a long time.  And I've been doing this a while.

I imagine that new Carrara users (perhaps migrating from DS) can easily get lost when hunting for and using figures from different generations.

Wendy and Diomede's posts are very important in my view.

i was excited a few hours to see this thread.

thought someone else was transfering poser figures to duf to use in carrara

LANned my pcs to get to my poser runtime, didnt install poser on my carrara pc.
    but i have to switch to poser pc to convert those pmd's

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,869

For new users, coming from Daz Studio and wishes to transfer quickly scene from Daz Studio to Carrara:

just save your scene as the scene subset in Daz Studio, then in Carrara using Content Browser double click

on your saved scene subset and it will automagically appear in Carrara with all morphs, poses, clothes etc intact.