Tutorials for texture making

assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0

I'm in need of help.

I've been looking all over for a decent tutorial that shows you step-by-step in making textures. I wanted to make my own textures for Gen (to get more textures that work for my characters and not be limited with what I have on my computer)

I can't seem to find anything that shows every step. I found free seamless skin textures (so that would be a starting point in my texture help...if that even helps)...but I'm at a loss after that. I know I need the UV map (if I"m correct, there is a free program that fetches it for you or you use 1 someone else used for their texture)

Anyone know were I can find one?

Comments

• LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969

UV mapper classic is free http://www.uvmapper.com/downloads.html

• assmonkeyassmonkey Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Yes, I know about that program...I just can't use it I can use it, but....it doesn't help me if I don't know how to do textures.

Which why I was asking if anyone had a step-by-step tut...I found one...it was just missing steps (like, it didn't show how they put the texture on the UV map...the PDF just showed it on the UV...so it wasn't much help)

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

What textures are you intending to create.

On the Product Page for a lot of tems, there is a tab called 'Resource Files' and if there, it will contain templates for you to use to create your own textures. Like in this case : http://www.daz3d.com/red-riding-hood. Download the Texture Template, and take it into Gimp or PS or PSP, and create your own texture.

If the texture is for your own use, you can alter a premade texture as a starting point?

edited January 2013

Skin maps for Gen....as I said in the 1st place.

I do have the a V5 elite skin...is that helps.

Would I be able to just run over the already made texture with my own, while I just leave the heavy detail alone?

I just need help in the "how you do it" part

and I don't really care for detailed skin...like freckles, moles, all that stuff

Post edited by assmonkey on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

. I wanted to make my own textures for Gen (to get more textures that work for my characters and not be limited with what I have on my computer)

You never mentioned the word skin in your original post, just Gen, which I took to mean Genesis, and that could mean anything.,

Would I be able to just run over the already made texture with my own, while I just leave the heavy detail alone?

I just need help in the “how you do it” part

If it is for Genesis, then you can use skins for V4, M4 and K4, and you can also use the V5 and M5 skins if you have those figures. Genesis is UV Mapped for all of these figures.

You need to load the appropriate skin map into a paint program, like PS, PSP or Gimp or similar, create a new layer, and apply your brush strokes to that. It has a lot to do with being able to use one of these programs, and in how to change photographs and textures using the available tools.

I don't know of any tutorials on creating or editing skin maps for DAZ models, but maybe someone elase will know, and post a link for you.

• RoguePilotRoguePilot Posts: 239
    edited December 1969

This is an older tutorial and is written for poser and M3 (possibly M2), but the principle is the same for Genesis.

http://poser.smithmicro.com/tutorials/textures.html

Try searching for 'creating character skins'. Texturing of game resources will be as applicable as any DAZ or Poser tutorial.

edited December 1969

Thanks, that is helpful...now I will try to find one with the use of a seamless skin texture...yeah, I don't want to use human pictures, as I will end up adding my own eyebrows and such

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Thanks, that is helpful...now I will try to find one with the use of a seamless skin texture...yeah, I don't want to use human pictures, as I will end up adding my own eyebrows and such

Dreamlight has some really good tutorials on creating and setting up skins on his site but you need to pay for membership to get access.