How can i get Augmented Reality Lighting Compilation to work in Studio 4.5 and Reality 2.5? SOLVED

ZelodonioZelodonio Posts: 19

Hi I cant seem to get Augmented Reality Lighting Compilation to work with reality 2.5 and Studio 4.5 it seems as if all of the image based lighting files are all in .exr, although it looks to me as if reality 2.5 is looking for .hdr files, what can i do to make this work?

Post edited by Zelodonio on

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

I suppose you could run the image files through Luminance HDR to convert them...

• ZelodonioZelodonio Posts: 19
    edited January 2013

Thanks for the reply, but that wont work because the .exr files seem to be contained in the .dsa files that the presets come In. I can't open those up and take the .exr files out of them so i'm still stuck. :(

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Zelodonio said:
    Thanks for the reply, but that wont work because the .exr files seem to be contained in the .dsa files that the presets come In. I can't open those up and take the .exr files out of them so i'm still stuck. :(

Why not?

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

Can you please explain the exact steps you are taking to use Image Based Lighting with Reality 2.5 and also provide screen shots of the scene?

It will help to see what your doing before offering any old advice.

Thank you.

edited January 2013

Sorry, my first post was a bit vague, I wrote it in a hurry. I'm having trouble with using the Augmented Reality Reality presets with Reality 2.5 with both the regular lux render and the SLG rendering.
    According to the read me the only thing that i need to do is,

Load the Reality IBL Sphere into your scene and apply the desired preset.

So I load my objects into my scene, then apply the Reality IBL Sphere and then I apply my desired preset from the Augmented Reality pack.
    I then open up the Reality render tab and try a SLG render, (which is what i prefer to use, as it is much faster.) I then get an error message in the SLG monitor. I posted the entire log below and highlighted the error in red,

SLG rendering started.

[SLG] Reading configuration file: reality_scene.cfg
    [SLG] Configuration:
    [SLG] accelerator.type = -1
    [SLG] batch.halt.spp = 0
    [SLG] batch.halttime = 0
    [SLG] batch.periodicsave = 30
    [SLG] film.filter.type = 0
    [SLG] film.gamma = 2.2
    [SLG] film.tonemap.linear.scale = 2.
    [SLG] film.tonemap.type = 0
    [SLG] image.filename = C:/Users/John/reality_scene.png
    [SLG] image.height = 450
    [SLG] image.width = 800
    [SLG] opencl.cpu.use = 1
    [SLG] opencl.gpu.use = 1
    [SLG] opencl.gpu.workgroup.size = 64
    [SLG] opencl.kernelcache = NONE
    [SLG] opencl.latency.mode = 1
    [SLG] opencl.nativethread.count = 6
    [SLG] opencl.renderthread.count = 2
    [SLG] path.filter.B = 0.333333
    [SLG] path.filter.C = 0.333333
    [SLG] path.filter.alpha = 2.
    [SLG] path.filters.type = MITCHELL
    [SLG] path.lightstrategy = 0
    [SLG] path.maxdepth = 16
    [SLG] path.maxdiffusebounce = 5
    [SLG] path.pixelatomics.enable = 0
    [SLG] path.russianroulette.cap = 0.25
    [SLG] path.russianroulette.depth = 5
    [SLG] path.russianroulette.prob = 0.75
    [SLG] path.russianroulette.strategy = 1
    [SLG] path.sampler.largesteprate = 0.4
    [SLG] path.sampler.maxconsecutivereject = 512.
    [SLG] path.sampler.spp = 4
    [SLG] path.sampler.type = METROPOLIS
    [SLG] path.sampler.xsamples = 3
    [SLG] path.sampler.ysamples = 3
    [SLG] path.shadowrays = 1
    [SLG] renderengine.type = 4
    [SLG] scene.epsilon = 0.0001
    [SLG] scene.file = C:/Users/John/reality_scene.scn
    [SLG] screen.refresh.interval = 500
    [LuxRays::SDL] Reading scene: C:/Users/John/reality_scene.scn
    [LuxRays::SDL] Camera postion: Point[7.80869, -11.1725, 4.41461]
    [LuxRays::SDL] Camera target: Point[7.80313, -11.1646, 4.41222]
    [LuxRays::SDL] Material definition: glass_39 [archglass]
    [LuxRays::SDL] Material definition: phare-glass_27 [archglass]
    [LuxRays::SDL] Material definition: black_23 [mattemetal]
    [LuxRays::SDL] Material definition: ctrl-panel_35 [mattemetal]
    [LuxRays::SDL] Material definition: engine-mat1_30 [mattemetal]
    [LuxRays::SDL] Material definition: engine-mat2_32 [mattemetal]
    [LuxRays::SDL] Material definition: engine-mat3_29 [mattemetal]
    [LuxRays::SDL] Material definition: engine-mat4_31 [mattemetal]
    [LuxRays::SDL] Material definition: fabric-mat1_28 [mattemetal]
    [LuxRays::SDL] Material definition: hull-inside_36 [mattemetal]
    [LuxRays::SDL] Material definition: hull-mat2_24 [mattemetal]
    [LuxRays::SDL] Material definition: hull-outside_22 [mattemetal]
    [LuxRays::SDL] Material definition: metal1_25 [mattemetal]
    [LuxRays::SDL] Material definition: metal2_34 [mattemetal]
    [LuxRays::SDL] Material definition: phare-light_26 [mattemetal]
    [LuxRays::SDL] Material definition: screen_33 [mattemetal]
    [LuxRays::SDL] Material definition: siege-mat1_37 [mattemetal]
    [LuxRays::SDL] Material definition: siege-mat2_38 [mattemetal]
    [LuxRays::SDL] Reading texture map: reality_scene-Resources/textures/CenturionTC Text/ctcInside-text.png
    [LuxRays::SDL] RGB texture map size: 256x174 (522Kbytes)
    [LuxRays::SDL] Reading texture map: reality_scene-Resources/textures/CenturionTC Text/ctcInside-bump.png
    [LuxRays::SDL] Reading texture map: reality_scene-Resources/textures/CenturionTC Text/ctcEngine-text.png
    [LuxRays::SDL] Reading texture map: reality_scene-Resources/textures/CenturionTC Text/ctcHull2-text.png
    [LuxRays::SDL] RGB texture map size: 256x177 (531Kbytes)
    [LuxRays::SDL] Reading texture map: reality_scene-Resources/textures/CenturionTC Text/ctcHull1-text.png
    [LuxRays::SDL] RGB texture map size: 256x177 (531Kbytes)
    [LuxRays::SDL] PLY object count: 18
    [LuxRays::SDL] Reading texture map: C:/Users/John/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio4/Reality-Add-ons/Runtime/textures/DimensionTheory/LimitlessLights/14.exr

EXR Format
    FreeImage_Load: failed to open file C:/Users/John/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio4/Reality-Add-ons/Runtime/textures/DimensionTheory/LimitlessLights/14.exr ***
    [SLG] RUNTIME ERROR: Unable to read texture map: C:/Users/John/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio4/Reality-Add-ons/Runtime/textures/DimensionTheory/LimitlessLights/14.exr

So that is what my problem is. If you need me to take any screenshots to help explain this any further, i will be glad to. :) Thanks.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

What are your settings in Reality with the sphere for lighting?

Does it show up in the Light Tab? If not, have you right clicked on the sphere surface name in the surface list and choose to promote it to a light?

edited December 1969

Zelodonio said:

EXR Format
    FreeImage_Load: failed to open file C:/Users/John/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio4/Reality-Add-ons/Runtime/textures/DimensionTheory/LimitlessLights/14.exr ***
    [SLG] RUNTIME ERROR: Unable to read texture map: C:/Users/John/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio4/Reality-Add-ons/Runtime/textures/DimensionTheory/LimitlessLights/14.exr

So that is what my problem is. If you need me to take any screenshots to help explain this any further, i will be glad to. :) Thanks.

Yes, for Lux, the images should probably be in hdr format...but it used to be able to read exr images.

The path to the exr images is listed in that last line from the log.

edited December 1969

Mattymanx said:
    What are your settings in Reality with the sphere for lighting?

Does it show up in the Light Tab? If not, have you right clicked on the sphere surface name in the surface list and choose to promote it to a light?

I think you're misunderstanding me, I'm not trying to get a sphere object to be a light, rather I am using what seems to be a special object that is included with Reality that is meant to be used specially for IBL. But to answer your question, the sphere does not show up in the lights list, nor does it even show up in the materials list to be promoted to a light.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Zelodonio said:

EXR Format

Yes, for Lux, the images should probably be in hdr format...but it used to be able to read exr images.

The path to the exr images is listed in that last line from the log.

Thanks, i was able to find where all of the .exr files are kept and I will try converting them using Luminance HDR, I just hope that if that does work, there will be an easier way than converting every single one out of the 180 of them :/
    Also, I figured that it used to able to read them because in the readme it mentions that it is compatible with Reality 1.2, Although it doesn't make any sense why they would remove a feature like that.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    I suppose you could run the image files through Luminance HDR to convert them...

Okay so i tried to run them though Luminance HDR, and for some reason they all come out much to dark, even with the gain set to the highest setting they're much too dark to be usable, I posted a example below. So the question still remains, How can i get this to work?

reality_scene.png
    800 x 450 - 219K
    edited December 1969

FreeImage should be able to understand exr format images.

Something else to consider...did you, by any chance, have Reality collect the images before rendering? It could be, that if you aren't collecting the images, the image is just not being found.

edited January 2013

Hi, I was wondering if by FreeImage you were referring to this line of code,

FreeImage_Load: failed to open file C:/Users/John/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio4/Reality-Add-ons/Runtime/textures/DimensionTheory/LimitlessLights/AboveCloudsHDR.exr ***

Or if you were referring to the conversion program. http://freeimage.sourceforge.net/ ?

And yes I have the box checked, Collect Textures if that's what you are talking about, and the path even shows up in the lights tab in Reality. I posted a couple of pics below, Thanks

Untitled_2.png
    1558 x 658 - 96K
    Untitled.png
    1558 x 658 - 83K
    edited December 1969

HURRAY!!!!!!!!!
    I finally figured it out! :D
    Thanks so much for your help guys, but after looking at the file structure for a bit and doing a little thinking I finally got it to read the .exr files! Here's how i fixed it just in case anyone else has this problem,

I had the actual .exr files in this directory,

C:\Users\John\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio4\Runtime\textures\DimensionTheory

And i had the presets in this directory,

C:\Users\John\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio4\Reality-Add-ons\Lights\AugmentedReality

And after looking around for a bit I realized that the few basic HDR examples that it comes with are also stored in this "Lights" folder.
    So I went to look for where it pulled the .hdr files from and it was,

C:\Users\John\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio4\Reality-Add-ons\Runtime\Textures\Reality

So I figured that i would try to move the Augumented Reality .exr files to the same "Textures" folder,
    And now its new location is,

C:\Users\John\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio4\Reality-Add-ons\Runtime\Textures\DimensionTheory

And voilà, it worked! :)

So to sum it up i moved the DimensionTheory folder that had all of the .exr flies from,

C:\Users\John\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio4\Runtime\textures\DimensionTheory
    to
    C:\Users\John\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio4\Reality-Add-ons\Runtime\Textures\DimensionTheory

Hope this helps anyone else having the same issues, and thanks for your guys help!

edited December 1969

Zelodonio said:
    Hi, I was wondering if by FreeImage you were referring to this line of code,

FreeImage_Load: failed to open file C:/Users/John/Documents/DAZ 3D/Studio4/Reality-Add-ons/Runtime/textures/DimensionTheory/LimitlessLights/AboveCloudsHDR.exr ***

Or if you were referring to the conversion program. http://freeimage.sourceforge.net/ ?

And yes I have the box checked, Collect Textures if that's what you are talking about, and the path even shows up in the lights tab in Reality. I posted a couple of pics below, Thanks

Actually both...the FreeImage code is built into/included with Lux.

The moving of the image files...that's one of the things I was wondering about If it was just not finding them in the first place. I guess that was it then...could you tack 'Solved' on to the title of the thread? (one of the mods will possibly ask it later, if you don't..)