Gen 4 shapes for genesis questions

KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
edited December 1969 in New Users

Do these shapes only let you make genesis look like the previous characters and then you just use the morphs for genesis with them but you can only use genesis textures for them not the textures for these particular gen 4 characters without a converter program? Any clothing items for these gen 4 characters cn be used through autofit tho? Also what is transfer utility? I have seen it mentioned in a couple threads

Comments

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214
    edited January 2013

I also was just searching the store for GenX and Gen4 shapes for Genesis...only the ones for Gen 3 comes up, have the Gen4 products been removed?

Edit: finally found them on a link from the GenX 3 page

Post edited by Kharma on
  • JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

The Gen 4 Shapes for Genesis are just that, shapes. They make Genesis 'look' like M4 or V4, but the base model is still Genesis. You can still use the Gen4 clothing via Autofit, and Genesis is also UV Mapped for M4, V4 and K4 as well, so any of these skin textures can be used. It is just a matter of changing the UV Set in the Surfaces pane. The default UV Map that Genesis uses is set to V4 usually.

edited December 1969

What is the purpose of changing the UV map ? When would I need to do that? Also does this work for the Girl4 and Freak4 also? Hiro and Aiko also|?

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited January 2013

Kharma said:
    What is the purpose of changing the UV map ? When would I need to do that? Also does this work for the Girl4 and Freak4 also? Hiro and Aiko also|?

Being able to change the UV Map allows you to use M4 and V4 and K4 textures on Genesis, I think that is great. Otherwise you would need to buy all new skins for Genesis.

All of the Gen 4 models are only morphs of M4 or V4. V4 (Aiko 4, Stephanie 4, She Freak 4, the Girl 4 etc), and M4 (Hiro 4, Freak 4 etc,), so they are all UV Mapped for either V4 or M4. In other words, they are not standalone characters, and don't have thier own mapping.

Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
    edited December 1969

So I understand if I want to use G4 texture on Genesis I can dial in the G4 shape choose the V4 UV map and then I would only be able to use a G4 texture or could I also use a V4 texture as they are the same UV map. what about the K4 tho, there is no shape for them, would you just use the basic child, choose the K4 UV map and then any K4 texture?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Kharma said:

I think the complete Gen4 shapes has all but K4...but M4/V4 is one set, Iconic Shapes is another (A4/H4/G4 and F4)...I think there's an S4, but she's 'special' (shows up only in certain bundles/times).

The UV set...well, M4 textures need the M4 UV set, etc. But the UV swapping allows you to put an M4 skin on a female character (V4) with ease.

edited December 1969

Does this mean the K4 textures cannot be used on the genesis figure as there is no UV ?

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Kharma said:
    Does this mean the K4 textures cannot be used on the genesis figure as there is no UV ?

K4, M4 and V4 UV maps are already included with Genesis...just find the UV map drop down box and choose the UV map you want...

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited February 2013

The Stephanie 4 Shape for Genesis can be found here: http://www.daz3d.com/stephanie-4-for-genesis (she was gone from the store for a long time, after her original limited-time-only launch, but now she's back).

The UV map drop down box mjc1016 mentioned can be found in the Surfaces tab.

Of course, for many people the real value of the iconic shapes is not just to make Genesis look like the 3rd or 4th generation character, but rather for mixing together with other shapes.

Regarding the transfer utility...I haven't used it myself, but there's information here: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/interface/action/index/dztransferutilityaction/start

Post edited by Scott Livingston on
    edited December 1969

thanks for answering my questions, helps alot :)