blender export to Studio question

StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
edited January 2013 in Daz Studio Discussion

Is there a way to export a model from Blender to Studio (I'm using ver 3) and have the material zones selectable in the content panes? Not just as surfaces mind you but as nodes I can make visible and invisible. While I'm aware I can set materials to transparent this is not what I'm looking to do, I'm also aware I can export each piece of the model in segments and reassemble in Studio, I'm not looking to do that either as it's going to be very time consuming but it may be my only option.

Post edited by StratDragon on

Comments

• wancowwancow Posts: 2,708
    edited December 1969

my experience pretty much limited to Wavefront OBJ. That format only allows for Object and Material groups. In DAZ Studio, Object Groups are recognized as Face Groups in the Polygon Group Editor. In order for node selection to become active in DS, you have to rig the mesh you've imported in Wavefront OBJ. I don't know about other formats.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Basically, you have to group it and then in DS rig it...or export each piece separately then assemble it in DS.

edited December 1969

Blender STILL doesn't have a decent OBJ export filter? Sheesh... how long is it going to take?

• texjonestexjones Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

the one thing i have learned about coming from Hexagon into Daz you have to keep importing and re-importing until you get the 'obj' file into the size you want. Luckily, the obj ext is the common between Blender or Hexagon and Daz. Whatever size you import the obj at, Daz will keep it there. So you may have to do it a few times until you get it right. As I have learned from re-working a certain Streets file, I have to import at 305% to match the Streets file. When you import the obj into Daz, you will have to re-apply the textures (but not the simple colors, they will stay) but that's just so Daz will know where to get it from.

Post edited by texjones on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited December 1969

With Blender, it is best to export as FBX. I have converted some Blend files using the FBX export option and taken those into other software with no issue.

You can use my conversion tutorial for additional info if you wish - http://www.mediafire.com/view/?adtf0812j6py43i

I recommend you export as FBX, take the FBX into another app except for Carrara, then convert it to OBJ. If you have access to any Autodesk app then you should be set. I dont recall if DS3 will handle FBX but DS45 will.

edited December 1969

I just now realized we have an FBX filter in DS...

Hey, Happy Birthday, MattyManx!

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited January 2013

Mattymanx said:
    With Blender, it is best to export as FBX. I have converted some Blend files using the FBX export option and taken those into other software with no issue.

You can use my conversion tutorial for additional info if you wish - http://www.mediafire.com/view/?adtf0812j6py43i

I recommend you export as FBX, take the FBX into another app except for Carrara, then convert it to OBJ. If you have access to any Autodesk app then you should be set. I dont recall if DS3 will handle FBX but DS45 will.

I appreciate your answer but too many factors prevent me from using this method, however I am intrigued as to why would FBX be the best method.
    Anyway if I export as FBX out of Blender 2.65 I get this error

Screen_shot_2013-01-23_at_8.57_.25_AM_.png
    658 x 87 - 24K
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Before you export, while in Object Mode, hit ctrl-A, that will bring up the Apply menu....select Scale. That should fix that error.

Without applying the scale, your 'rig' and the mesh aren't the same size...and moving/bending/deforming then becomes a wild experiment.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited January 2013

thanks mjc, that might have explained some other issues I was experiencing.
    All I need to do now is master normals %-P