Where to get "rez" ?

I am able to build Sample Teapot Plugin in Visual Studio 2010 Express Edition but getting following message for "rez". Is it required for Windows only  Build?

1>  you need to install rez in the tools folder
1>  The system cannot find the path specified.
1>  The system cannot find the file specified.

1>  Extracting Resources: Teapot
1>          1 file(s) copied.
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Comments

• Samuel S.Samuel S. Posts: 304

I was building on Windows 10  PC so I commented out some lines in 'BuildDTA.bat' file as shown below which solved the issue:

---BuildDTA.bat----

@echo off
    rem Compile the DTA file using Apple Computer Rez tool
    rem Usage : BuildDTA Debug ExtensionName, or BuildDTA Release ExtensionName

rem if not exist ..\..\..\Tools\Rez\tools\Rez.exe (
    rem    echo you need to install rez in the tools folder
    rem )

rem call ..\..\..\Tools\Rez\tools\Rez.exe -I ..\..\..\Tools\Rez\Cincludes -I ..\..\..\Tools\Rez\Rincludes -I ..\..\..\Include\Common\ -I ..\..\..\Include\Carrara\ -d "WIN=1" -o %1\%2 resource.r
    rem if exist %1\%2.dta del %1\%2.dta
    rem move %1\%2.qtr %1\%2.dta

call ..\..\..\Tools\ResExtracter\Win\ResExtracter.exe %1\%2.dta

• mschackmschack Posts: 337
    I Samuel said:

I was building on Windows 10  PC so I commented out some lines in 'BuildDTA.bat' file as shown below which solved the issue:

---BuildDTA.bat----

@echo off
    rem Compile the DTA file using Apple Computer Rez tool
    rem Usage : BuildDTA Debug ExtensionName, or BuildDTA Release ExtensionName

rem if not exist ..\..\..\Tools\Rez\tools\Rez.exe (
    rem    echo you need to install rez in the tools folder
    rem )

rem call ..\..\..\Tools\Rez\tools\Rez.exe -I ..\..\..\Tools\Rez\Cincludes -I ..\..\..\Tools\Rez\Rincludes -I ..\..\..\Include\Common\ -I ..\..\..\Include\Carrara\ -d "WIN=1" -o %1\%2 resource.r
    rem if exist %1\%2.dta del %1\%2.dta
    rem move %1\%2.qtr %1\%2.dta

call ..\..\..\Tools\ResExtracter\Win\ResExtracter.exe %1\%2.dta

trying to get VS 2019 working.  Everything works but I don't know where to get the rez.exe.  Doesn't this convert the resources.r to a dta file?  How did you do it?

• RuudLRuudL Posts: 176

Rez.exe is described on page 10 of the "Overview.pdf". This pdf is in the Doc folder of the SDK.

Sorry I should have been more specific.  It (Rez,exe) doesn't come with the Carrara sdk and the link provided in the doc to download the Quick Time SDK is no longer available as Apple hasn't supported it in years. 

mschack said:

Sorry I should have been more specific.  It (Rez,exe) doesn't come with the Carrara sdk and the link provided in the doc to download the Quick Time SDK is no longer available as Apple hasn't supported it in years. 

Oh, ya that old link is broken. It's still available for download on the Apple Developer website ( https://developer.apple.com ) But you'll need to sign in with a Apple ID. If you don't have one, you can create one on the website. Once you're in, goto Develop and then to Downloads. Use 'QuickTime' in the Search-field.

Good luck. 

Yeah I tried that and still can't find anything.  Thanks.

edited October 2020

Sorry, i forgot one more step. You have to select 'More" in upper right hand corner. Then you can use the Search feature.

Post edited by RuudL on

Found it, Thank you very much!