Will the 32 bit version ever be fixed?

areg5areg5 Posts: 617
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Quite frustrating. I have been using version 3.1.2.32 for over a year, and it is a great program. Scenes can be loaded with content, lights, raytraced shadows, reflected sufaces etc. The ONLY limitation is that it can not utilize the Genesis figures with their vast functionality.

I recently downloaded the latest 4.5...in the 32 bit form, it is virtually unusable. The main limitation is the amount of content that can be used, even to the extent that it can't handle rendering 2 clothed genesis figures. Just about the only thing it can do is handle 1 clothed figure, as soon as you try to add any props, environments, complex surfaces and shadowing it crashes. I tried the latest beta, which really was not any better. I was able to find what I think is the latest 4.0 version (4.0.3.9), which can be made to work, but it is frustrating. It can handle 3 genesis figures and props...when loading some of the materials are jumbled but it does render once. It won't render a complex scene twice, it says it's out of memory or crashes; you have to close it, reopen it and reload the scene. It will render more than once if it is a single figure. Essentially, if I rendered a scene and wanted to change a pose, or light and re-render there is 5min or so of downtime waiting for the scene to reload.

My impression is that the reason 4.0 versions are buggy but workable and 4.5 versions are not is that the former uses .daz file format, not .duf. Seems like the only difference.

My question is: is there any effort on the part of Daz to fix the 32 bit version, or am I really looking at a bigtime upgrade to a 64 bit system?

Dell LatitudeE6410
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU M 620
2.67GHz 2.67 GHz
4.00 Gig RAM
Windows 7 32 bit

Comments

• Herald of FireHerald of Fire Posts: 3,504
    edited January 2013

You're definitely going to want to upgrade to 64-bit sooner or later. Your PC is severely being bottle-necked by the 32-bit limitations and, with a nice Core i7 processor, you're certainly not getting the best out of your CPU by remaining on 32-bit systems. You won't be able to upgrade your memory any farther than the 4Gb you currently have either because Windows cannot access any more without 64-bit addresses.

I won't lie. There's a lot of information in an average Daz scene. I have scenes which take up to 12Gb of RAM just to load into memory, and my average is around 5Gb. All the latest versions of Windows run at 64-bit now, and I would strongly advise upgrading as soon as you're able to. I wouldn't hold your breath for a 32-bit update for the simple reason that most people have moved on due to memory requirements alone.

Post edited by Herald of Fire on
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Why are you running a 32 bit version of Windows on an i7?

That's like buying sports car and ripping out half the sparkplug wires...

You HAVE a 64 bit system, that just needs an OS upgrade.

But that said, unless you have the Nvidia option, your problem, is NOT DS, it's the Intel video that comes 'standard' on that laptop. The Intel HD video and the current version of DS (and many, many other OpenGL apps) do not play well together.

I'm going to guess that you don't have the Nvidia option...

If so, not only are you being assaulted by the poor Intel drivers, but the fact that out of your 4 GB (Windows reserves about 1 GB for itself and the shared video memory is going to take another 1/4 of a GB or more, without doing anything), you may have 2.5 GB available for DS to use...which leaves, maybe 2.25 GB for building a scene and rendering it...and that isn't going to be a very big scene.