If I developed a graphics program.

Why is it not possible, for a program such as DS, to install itself using default settings, and the program that dowloads and installs the content for same program, all from the same developer , to just work out of the box? Why does it require so much manipulation just to get the content to show up or even work? 

It makes absolutely no sense to me. Of course, the "option" to customize paths etc should be avialable, but otherwise, it should just default to the correct default locations and everything should work. 

The enitre in program content files system is a mess in my opnion, as well...i have suff in a dozen different tabs, on two sides of the window, and stuff pops up different depending on what you have in the window. it makes no sense to me. 

This has now developed into my not buying anything here that is DS only content. at least until I can fugure this mess of a program out..and I know those left here at this site are pretty much all DAZ Studio users, but I still do not like this program.

Comments

• If you installed using the default settings for both DS and DIM they will work. The only exception might be if you had DS on that system from before DIM was developed, in which case the default DIM directory might not have been added to DS.

• I think you are using smart content by sounds

Mine is not that smart (or I am not) so I do not use it

I use the content directory and my Poser runtime library when I use D|S

otherwise I use Carrara.

• under windows tick the content directory to find it

• the default layout options are not IMO the best either, City limits I think it was
    I have an advanced layout with all the oprtions

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,447

If you installed using the default settings for both DS and DIM they will work. The only exception might be if you had DS on that system from before DIM was developed, in which case the default DIM directory might not have been added to DS.

i think it would be good to just delete both and start over. I have been working with DAZ tech support as well, so not just whining without seeking help. Its been a few days, with quite a few emails back and forth ... but still no resolution overall . 

• It makes absolutely no sense to me. Of course, the "option" to customize paths etc should be avialable, but otherwise, it should just default to the correct default locations and everything should work

Well as far I know it will do that.

As said above, take a look at the "Content directory" tab, that gives a good overview of everything.

Try the different layouts (Window/Workspace/Select Layout) and find the one you like best.

If you have messed it up too much maybe you should start over again if that feels better, if you have downloaded a lot of things you can always make a backup copy of the c:\Users\Public\Documents\DAZ 3D\InstallManager files so you don't need to download them again.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879
    edited February 2017

Dave,

If you are comming from a Poser background and you want to use Daz Studio, forget everything you learned about the Poser UI and how it worked.  The two are not the same.  That was my biggest issue when i first learned DS and it was a lot simpler back then.

ALTERNATE METHOD...

Download via the DIM but do not let it install or just manually download it.  And then manually sort and install it.  You can install to where ever you like and you can tell Daz Studio where it is located by pressing F2, go to the Content Tab and at the bottom, click on Content Directory Manager.

When manually sorting, anything in the Data folder and Runtime folder should not be moved or altered.  The rest are a free for all to organize as you please but you will need to keepo track of how you do.  WHen you are finsihed sorting each product, just use 7zip to make a new zip or 7z file for yourself and store it somewhere on your hard drive.  This way you keep your content organized your way with and easy to use zip for easy unpacking.  7zip will also decompress an entire folders worth of compressed files to the same location so make sure your base file path is all the same so they all land in the same spot.

Instead of using Smart Content just use the Content Library Tab.  It will show you your content as it appears on your hard drive. 

Post edited by Mattymanx on
  • jestmartjestmart Posts: 4,449

Use DIM, open the preference and look around, it allows you change where your download files goes and where to install to.  DIM is one of the simplest utilities DAZ has made and there is no reason for new users to be using it.