OT - Adobe CS2 now free, perhaps

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,936
    edited December 1969

the 4GB Audition content is too big for me! I wasted half my broadband on a failed try so leaving it alone, pity

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

the 4GB Audition content is too big for me! I wasted half my broadband on a failed try so leaving it alone, pity

bummer - it is sure worth it - took me like 4+ hours to got it

• Wiccan1Wiccan1 Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

If Adobe did not want to have this freely distributed, all they would have to do is change the serial, and email another to the original customer base.

I still think this was done on purpse. Just look at all the conversations about it on the internet! Not to mention the new people they now have to market to......

It reminds me of another company, hmmmmmmm? Now, who could that be? :)

• williamboswellwilliamboswell Posts: 130
    edited December 1969

whbos said:
    The latest I've heard from an Adobe rep (Dov) is that it isn't free and now everybody in the forums are trying to justify keeping it because it was posted on Adobe's website. Very interesting over there. One person says now all these freeloaders are customers.

Like I said over there, I wonder how many people are still using CS2 products. They've probably all upgraded since then. It's possible this was never meant to go public and somebody goofed. I've never heard of Adobe giving any software away (except the Reader and Flash Player).

I'm still using my CS2 and I'm still on Winxp too; not everybody can afford the latest and greatest and if it still works what's the problem?

No problem and my mistake. Maybe a lot of people haven't upgraded from CS2. I haven't upgraded from one of their CS1 products. I can't afford the upgrades either especially now that we have to be on the current version to upgrade. Who can afford that? You're lucky you're still on XP instead of Win7 which doesn't like my old software.

• williamboswellwilliamboswell Posts: 130
    edited January 2013

Is Dov Isaacs post still there? When I checked the links yesterday or the day before, intending to post them again, it was gone - perhaps they've moved it and that's broken the link?

Dov has a post that is in response to another person that shows the following:
    There is no change. The software and serial numbers were posted for use solely by existing legal Adobe licensees of CS2 and other products of that era (i.e., purchased licenses for these products from Adobe, authorized resellers, or via registered with Adobe transfer from such licencees) who need to reactivate their software (such as having to reinstall due to system failures, etc.) and for no other purpose whatsoever, despite the apparent wishful thinking of many.
    - Dov

Here's the link. Scroll all the way to the bottom to see it:
    CS2 Statement

Post edited by williamboswell on
  • LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,231
    edited January 2013

Regardless of the legality, I see the situation as this:

Adobe has a universally visible page on their website that displays links to the dowload and a corresponding working license key for several old products.

The whole world is abuzz with this news.

In another 48 hours there will be gazillions of copies of this software sitting on gazillions of computers around the world and this information will be floating around for the next decade. If the release was unintentional and non-previous owners who download and use this product are to be considered thieves, then what's Adobe going to do, hire 10,000 software cops to try to ferret out the thieves? Are they going to string up a few of the offenders to make a point? It's a situation they created, they can come out of this like heros or schmucks.

People who were interested in Adobe but who could never afford it and would ever have bought it will have a working copy that, if they got it from the Adobe website, is pretty much guaranteed to not be hacked with viruses or adware or other malware. Some of these people will learn these products and be interested in moving up to current Adobe products. Most of them won't, and in 5 years those products will be 12 years old and hunting for a computer capable of running them. The world will move on.

Regardless of what they intended, Adobe has generated a lot of public relations buzz. It's now up to them to decide how to capitalize on it. Free Photoshop (legal or not) may hurt their PhotoshopElements sales for a while but it really isn't going to hurt their new sales of their flagship products and it might actually help it. Actually most of the people who use PhotoshopElements don't even get beyond the Tinker-Toy interface to find the advanced interface underneath. So full Photoshop would blow their mind. 8-o

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited December 1969

Yeah, the size of that file is too big to save on a thumbdrive filesystem, even a 32GB one. Although it does save OK in an NTFS filesystem on Win7.

I guess the old FAT filesystem would fail too. (or is that what's on a thumbdrive?)

• RomancefantasyRomancefantasy Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

What I hate is all the people on Adobe's forum calling people thieves when just the opposite is true; these people wanted to do the right thing by downloading from Adobe. I can't afford to upgrade my Adobe software but even if I could I wouldn't because I hardly ever use it, they've gone to the cloud and subscriptions, and they treat their paying customers poorly with excessive DRM.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,936
    edited December 1969

Yeah, the size of that file is too big to save on a thumbdrive filesystem, even a 32GB one. Although it does save OK in an NTFS filesystem on Win7.

I guess the old FAT filesystem would fail too. (or is that what's on a thumbdrive?)
    that occurred to me too!
    the reason I used mt NTFS formatted external, unfortunately opening Skype appears to have interrupted it and by then my remaining Android 3G limit was under 4Gig I was using my Android as a wifi modem
    I really need a landline!

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

That's what their lawyers told them they have to say. It seems obvious that Adobe doesn't even know who their old registered customers are, letalone how to contact them. But who can prove it? They've lost track of (many, most of) these oldies and can't figure out a way to handle reactivation if necessary. So instead of p*ssing off those few customers left who are still using CS2 level product they put it on an open web page.

The files are available on an open web page, serials and all. If they were to say it's now all FREE, they would be accused of dumping by the federal government. Whether that would really happen or not, I imagine the lawyers ain't going to chance it.

It's not free, the files are to be downloaded by legitimate owners only but on the honor system. And I don't see Adobe going after anyone else who grabs the files.

• ba_aca2a9241dba_aca2a9241d Posts: 55
    edited January 2013

I'm not a thief by downloading CS2 from the Adobe website. When I go to the CS2 download webpage, all I see is a bunch of software with legal serial numbers provided by the company that created the software. On that webpage that can be freely accessed by everyone, no restrictions are mentioned, there are no notices of any kind. If Adobe doesn't want anyone to download this, except for the people who bought it ages ago, why not make it clear right on that page? Adobe can't be bothered to do so, even after all the commotion about it. The only thing I see at that page is software everyone can download without a restriction and you don't even need to register it at all. All adobe is saying through this page is download CS2 and enjoy it, we don't care....... because if we cared we would have prevented you from reaching the page and told you outright you can't download it unless......

How hard is it to put up a notice on top of the page stating, please do not download unless you own a paid for license of CS2?

Post edited by ba_aca2a9241d on
    edited January 2013

OK, so I tried the CS2 suite on a Vista Home Premium 64-bit computer I have sitting in the corner. I finally got it installed but you HAVE TO read the directions. By default one of the disk image files extracts the installer data into the wrong temporary folder. You need to either respecify the path to extract to, or pick it up and move it into the correct folder after extraction and before you begin the installation process.

The symptom is that it asks for "Disk2" implying that the data from "Disk2" is not visible in the folder in which the installer is looking. I was actually able to find the missing data at that time and move it into the correct folder and then press the "OK" button and the installation proceeded. It's just that I had installed/uninstalled 3 times before I finally deigned to read the instructions carefully and realized how the installer works and realized that one of the "Disks" got unpacked into the wrong place.

Adobe CS2 era programs are 32-bit applications. Also, I specified that the executables be installed into someplace other than the typical "Program Files" or "Program Files(x86)" folders. I specified to use "C:\AdobeCS2" as the folder to create and install into. Remember, unlike WindowsXP, the more modern Vista, Win7 and Win8 all treat the "Program Files" as special protected folders but Adobe CS2 might not work properly in them.

Yep CS2 works OK on my Vista 64-bit machine if you read the installation instructions and put your binaries in a non-special system folder.

• SotoSoto Posts: 1,438
    edited December 1969

They put links and serials at everyone’s reach with a license that allows its use.
    The closest thing to Adobe saying “you can’t” is an ambiguous post in a forum by the same guy saying this:

"Please understand that you are absolutely not reaching any Adobe CEO or executive management via these forums. You are primarily talking to other users. If you feel so strongly, why don't you directly contact the Adobe executives?
    Nothing inconsistent. We have a number of engineering staff with the title “Principal Scientist” at Adobe. We are not the CEO or executives of this company.
    - Dov”

How official is a post in a forum by this guy? On all this days, Adobe has not mentioned any restriction or the need to wander around threads to find a (now deleted) post about who can or can’t use it, supposing that’s even a legal way to do it.
    I’ll wait more because I use Photoimpact anyway and don’t want to do anything wrong, but I think their EULA has more weight than that.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Hellboy said:
    They put links and serials at everyone’s reach with a license that allows its use.
    The closest thing to Adobe saying “you can’t” is an ambiguous post in a forum by the same guy saying this:

"Please understand that you are absolutely not reaching any Adobe CEO or executive management via these forums. You are primarily talking to other users. If you feel so strongly, why don't you directly contact the Adobe executives?
    Nothing inconsistent. We have a number of engineering staff with the title “Principal Scientist” at Adobe. We are not the CEO or executives of this company.
    - Dov”

How official is a post in a forum by this guy? On all this days, Adobe has not mentioned any restriction or the need to wander around threads to find a (now deleted) post about who can or can’t use it, supposing that’s even a legal way to do it.
    I’ll wait more because I use Photoimpact anyway and don’t want to do anything wrong, but I think their EULA has more weight than that.

He's got some new posts up...but

The point is, Adobe put it up, at first on a password access page (needed an AdobeID to get to it) but then moved it to an open, public page...not only the program files, but a vaild, permanent serial/activation number. That looks, to the average person, like it's being given away...it's the 'owner's' own site, servers and employees doing it...not some anonymous guy on a torrent somewhere.

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

It's like a bank putting a load of cash on the pavement outside the bank, and hoping that only people with a valid account will take some. :)

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

It's like a bank putting a load of cash on the pavement outside the bank, and hoping that only people with a valid account will take some. :)

In a basket, with a sign saying "Cash", but nothing else...no 'Account holders only'...with a basket that looks just like it with a brochure of bank services, with a sign "Take one" over it...

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

that occurred to me too!
    the reason I used mt NTFS formatted external, unfortunately opening Skype appears to have interrupted it and by then my remaining Android 3G limit was under 4Gig I was using my Android as a wifi modem
    I really need a landline!

If one does succeed it getting the download, after unzipping it, it is possible to divide the folder into 2 parts to burn onto 2 DVDs to store it. Just make a note to 'merge the folders' before trying to install them.

? on a 32G you can't save a 4G file? I haven't tried, but am surprized to read this.

• jorge dorlandojorge dorlando Posts: 1,156
    edited December 1969

When installing photoshop Cs2,
    he was installed along with another program, called Image Ready.
    what is this image ready? he seems to have everything there in photoshop
    what is the purpose of this?

• edited December 1969

Image Ready is primarily used for creating/prepping and optimizing graphics for use on the internet. As such, it incorporates the ability to create animated gif files, embed URLs, and so on.

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

ImageReady doesn't have everything Photoshop does. It's more for making images for the Internet. They replaced ImageReady with Fireworks several Suites ago.

edited January 2013

? on a 32G you can't save a 4G file? I haven't tried, but am surprized to read this.

Nope, I'd downloaded successfully to my hard drive but when I tried to copy to my 32GB San-Disk "Cruzer" thumbdrive it failed giving an error something to the effect "file too big". Tried it a couple of times. Just doesn't work.

Like I said above I think it's a limitation of the filesystem on the thumbdrive. The following article indicates that, yes indeed, FAT is used on many thumbdrives.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_mass_storage_device_class

From anoher article I find this: The maximum possible size for a file on an FAT32 volume is 4 GB minus 1 byte or 4,294,967,295 (2**32−1) bytes.

The file size of the Audition3 compressed file "ADBEAudition_loopolgy.7z" is 4,450,246 kilobytes.

Non-related trivia: Notice that the quote above "maximum possible size for a file on an FAT32 volume is" demonstrates the logical use of the English language indefinite articles "a", and "an". Depending on whether you pronounce "FAT32" as "fat thirty-two" or as "eff ay tee thirty-two" you use "a" or "an" respectively to indicate the singular item. The rule being that if the sound following the indefinite article is a vowel sound you use "an". But if the sound following is a consonant you use "a". Quite simply because you trip over your tongue if you try to pronounce the "n" when it preceeds another consonant sound.

There are a exceptions (don't you just love English?) Here's a more learned explanation: But even the exceptions all boil down to the sound that follows the indefinite article, not the letter itself.
    http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/591/01/

I've always used the mnemonic device: "We saw an elephant and a tiger at the zoo."

Edited to add: I'm sorry, I'm obsessing over this, but in thinking about why we even use the "an" at all, I came to the conclusion that similarly to the struggle to clearly pronounce the "n" in front of another consonant sound, I find myself having a slight struggle to clearly pronounce two vowel sounds like "a elephant" and keep the words separated. It's either muddy "uhelephant" or choppy "ay...elephant". However, by using the "an" the words seem to flow more smoothly as "uh nelephant". 8-o

edited January 2013

oops double post

• edited December 1969

Nope, I'd downloaded successfully to my hard drive but when I tried to copy to my 32GB San-Disk "Cruzer" thumbdrive it failed giving an error something to the effect "file too big". Tried it a couple of times. Just doesn't work.

Like I said above I think it's a limitation of the filesystem on the thumbdrive. The following article indicates that, yes indeed, FAT is used on many thumbdrives.

You can right click on your thumb drive in "my computer" and select format, then select exFat or NTFS formatting, both of which allow files larger than 4 GB, or so I've heard. Of course, that may not be ideal if you don't have a place to temporarily store what's already on your thumb drive...

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,743
    edited December 1969

Non-related trivia: Notice that the quote above "maximum possible size for a file on an FAT32 volume is" demonstrates the logical use of the English language indefinite articles "a", and "an". Depending on whether you pronounce "FAT32" as "fat thirty-two" or as "eff ay tee thirty-two" you use "a" or "an" respectively to indicate the singular item. The rule being that if the sound following the indefinite article is a vowel sound you use "an". But if the sound following is a consonant you use "a". Quite simply because you trip over your tongue if you try to pronounce the "n" when it preceeds another consonant sound.

Thanks for the explanation. I was wondering why they used "an" too, didn't think of the alternative (at least for me) way of pronouncing it "eff ay tee thirty-two".

I don't think "a" and "an" are so difficult to deal with though when you know how to pronounce the words which usually is obvious from the first letter in the word. It gets more tricky when used with words like "herb" where many who are not so familiar with the language don't know the "h" in "herb" is mute in US but not in UK so in US you say "an herb" but in UK "a herb" (at least that's how I understand it). It gets even trickier if there's an adjective put in like "an colorful herb".

I think the worst thing in english (perhaps in any foreign language) is the prepositions. English is not my native language, and I had a hard time learning when to use of, for, by, with, to, at, or from in different contexts, and i'm still in doubt sometimes.

Rules based on logic are usually simple to deal with, but in linguistics there don't (doesn't?) seem to be much logic behind many of the rules. Probably because you can get away with it easier than in math.

As a side note, this forum may have many disadvantages, but I really like the spell checker...

edited December 1969

sikeus said:

You can right click on your thumb drive in "my computer" and select format, then select exFat or NTFS formatting, both of which allow files larger than 4 GB, or so I've heard. Of course, that may not be ideal if you don't have a place to temporarily store what's already on your thumb drive...

It's a bit tricky in Windows:

"By default, Windows provides the option to format a USB flash drive with FAT or FAT32 file systems only, but not with NTFS (New TechnologyFile System.)

The reason behind this is that there are some disadvantages of NTFS usage in this case. First of all, the speed of saving on the flash drive decreases (but the speed of reading data from the drive is the same), and you have to be more careful to always remove the USB flash drive safely.

However, you can still format the Flash Drive in the NTFS format. Follow these steps for the same."

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/cant-format-usb-drive-in-ntfs-format/b6d01d15-c66a-4f25-83f4-401bfceb0f12

edited January 2013

It's broken for me twice as well, I can see a link to the file under "Recent" but the file isn't in the folder it's supposed to be in.

Usually I never have problems if this kind. Will keep an eye on it the third time and see what actually happens...

Post edited by Taoz on
  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

From your lips to Chase Banks ears.

edited January 2013

Taozen said:
    [ ...

I don't think "a" and "an" are so difficult to deal with though when you know how to pronounce the words which usually is obvious from the first letter in the word. It gets more tricky when used with words like "herb" where many who are not so familiar with the language don't know the "h" in "herb" is mute in US but not in UK so in US you say "an herb" but in UK "a herb" (at least that's how I understand it). It gets even trickier if there's an adjective put in like "an colorful herb". ...

As described in the last article I pointed to, it's the sound of the immediately following word, be it noun or adjective, that establishes whether to use "a", or "an". So in the case of the phrase "a colorful herb" it's the consonant "c" in "colorful" that dictates use of the "a". Whereas one would use "an" in the phrase "an odiferous herb", because of the vowel "o" in "odiferous" regardless of how you pronounce "herb".

Using my mnemonic device one could change it to: "We saw an elephant and a tiger, and an older tiger eating a bigger elephant". It's the sound following the indefinite article that matters.

edited January 2013

Taozen said:
    sikeus said:

It's a bit tricky in Windows:

"By default, Windows provides the option to format a USB flash drive with FAT or FAT32 file systems only, but not with NTFS (New TechnologyFile System.)

The reason behind this is that there are some disadvantages of NTFS usage in this case. First of all, the speed of saving on the flash drive decreases (but the speed of reading data from the drive is the same), and you have to be more careful to always remove the USB flash drive safely.

However, you can still format the Flash Drive in the NTFS format. Follow these steps for the same."

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/cant-format-usb-drive-in-ntfs-format/b6d01d15-c66a-4f25-83f4-401bfceb0f12

Hmmm... useful information. I might try that sometime. However, I've moved all my 20 years of data archives to a handful of hard drives. Still wondering what to do with the hundreds & hundreds of CDs & DVDs that it used to occupy! 8-o How many clockfaces or drink coasters, or optical windchimes does one need?

• jorge dorlandojorge dorlando Posts: 1,156
    edited December 1969

Now, I'm looking for filters and plugins to supercharge my cs2 ...
    But I'm finding many, not leeching because the download page says its not compatible with windows (win7).
    I'm trying to boost my cs2, with filters and plugins ...

This discussion has been closed.