News about Carrara coming in February according to DAZ

Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

On a whim, I filed a General Feedback ticket to DAZ a few days ago about the lack of communication about Carrara's future. Here's the response from Kraig Hausmann:

"Thanks for your feedback. I have given to my supervisor. We intend to make an announcement about Carrara in February.
Let me know if you have any other questions or if there’s any other way we can help."

I know it's not much, but I figured I'd share it.

Comments

• wcwilcoxwcwilcox Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Well that wasn't much of a response. But Good on You for asking!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219
    edited January 2013

Man - "So, Doctor... is she going to live?"

Doctor - <<em>puts his hand to his chin and pauses for what seems an eternity to the worried husband>
    "Come on back in three to seven weeks. That's when I want to tell you."

~~~fade to black and let the sound effects complete the scene~~~

WAAAAACKKKKK!!!!

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
  • Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

Maybe we get some love for Valentine's Day?

• SockrateaseSockratease Posts: 813
    edited December 1969

In February they will announce that there will be an announcement *SOON*

• 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017
    edited December 1969

Thanks for asking and posting.
    Let us hope for good news.

• bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807
    edited December 1969

"Hey, someone just mailed asking us about Carrara."
    "I assume you didn't tell them anything."
    "No, I said we'd make an announcement in February."
    "WHAT??!!? Do you realize what you've committed us to? Why would you do that?"
    "Dude, chill. I just said 'February'. I didn't say which year."
    "Oh, OK. Carry on."

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691
    edited December 1969

In February they will announce that there will be an announcement *SOON*

Sockratease - They didn't tell you? I think that they'll be announcing that the new Carrara will include the new Genesis 2 New Millennium Cow (sorry, I couldn't resist)

Kodiak - thanks for the heads-up!

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924
    edited December 1969

angusm said:
    "Hey, someone just mailed asking us about Carrara."
    "I assume you didn't tell them anything."
    "No, I said we'd make an announcement in February."
    "WHAT??!!? Do you realize what you've committed us to? Why would you do that?"
    "Dude, chill. I just said 'February'. I didn't say which year."
    "Oh, OK. Carry on."

oh yeah of liddle faith ;)

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

I wonder if they are going to throw it into the free bucket...after I just upgraded :( At least he didn't say it was a "game changer"

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,810
    edited December 1969

14th is my Birthday
    would be a nice pressie

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure what you guys are worrying about...

Holly made it very clear: Carrara has always had a shaky future. So don't worry, that means it will be around....but with a shaky future.

Or something like that.....

I dunno. Just don't worry.

edited January 2013

Y'know, also it just occurred to me. I think DAZ management takes that into account when deciding future strategy for any of its products:

"Let's see, Carrara has always been on a fairly bumpy road, right?"

"Yeah, pretty much..."

"Oh, well that makes our decision a lot easier. We'll just keep doing that, right?"

"What do you think, Boss?"

"Sounds good to me. Keep it around, but with a sketchy future. Next?" :)

So that's good news...it'll be around forever, just with a sketchy future. Cool. :)

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
  • 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470
    edited December 1969

I'm not sure what you guys are worrying about...

Holly made it very clear: Carrara has always had a shaky future. So don't worry, that means it will be around....but with a shaky future.

Or something like that.....

I dunno. Just don't worry.

What, me worry?

AEN2.png
    158 x 207 - 62K
  • Wiccan1Wiccan1 Posts: 198
    edited December 1969

Well since he offered, ask him to explain what will be announced......? *giggles*

Kodiak3D said:
    On a whim, I filed a General Feedback ticket to DAZ a few days ago about the lack of communication about Carrara's future. Here's the response from Kraig Hausmann:

"Thanks for your feedback. I have given to my supervisor. We intend to make an announcement about Carrara in February.
    Let me know if you have any other questions or if there’s any other way we can help."

• Kodiak3dKodiak3d Posts: 223
    edited December 1969

Wiccan1 said:
    Well since he offered, ask him to explain what will be announced......? *giggles*

You know, it's funny that they put that in there since they "deemed the issue solved" and closed the ticket.

• petefpetef Posts: 47
    edited December 1969

Actually saying an "Announcement" will be made is very bad for any company to put out, if they'd said we will have "New's" in Feb that might have been better.

I very recently came back to Carrara and from and old user to re-discoverer I think people simply don't appreciate HOW powerful and what a well featured app Carrara is, I go back to Eovia days and Carrara 1 but kept being tempted by those other apps with extra shiny bits so simply messed around in Carrara, now going through Paul Wilkes excellent Infinite Skills training has really surprised me what actually is under Carrara's hood, I've spent a lot of money on Carrara and even if it is going to be laid to rest I'll still have a use for it along side Modo and Vue Infinite for a long time to come.

edited December 1969

petef said:
    Actually saying an "Announcement" will be made is very bad for any company to put out, if they'd said we will have "New's" in Feb that might have been better.

Yeah, I hear ya...

"Exciting news, we think you'll be pleased" would have been better, huh? Marketing guys tend to like to build anticipation and hype.

I wonder if there still is a software marketing guy there...

• CarltonMartinCarltonMartin Posts: 147
    edited December 1969

head wax said:
    oh yeah of liddle faith ;)

Nah. Just long and repetitious memories...

• 3dView3dView Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

petef -----indeed there is so much stuff under the hood in Carrara is sometimes amazes me. Funny , I too have been going through mr wilkes infiinte skills vids and I learn things in almost every segment --its awesome ------I also have Modo but never left Carrara as it just does so much stuff so fast.

btw- I hope you have been following the threads on a upcoming community movie project as hopefully we can get this thing off the ground (and that waas another reason I was going through the wilkes vids --trying to hone up my skills.

• RealtimeRealtime Posts: 95
    edited January 2013

I too am very much vested in Carrara. This is why I have concern over it's future.
    I tend to be very loyal and have been since 2006.

Remember just before Daz released Carrara 8.1? They had teasers that revealed the upcoming features, such as ocean primitive, improvement to plant creation, etc.
    We are not seeing any of that now. I am hoping that I will be pleasantly surprised in February. That's not what my gut feeling is telling me.

I agree with everyone about the power and potential that Carrara has. Several years back, it was considered a true contender. That's not the case now. No one sees the power because it has not been properly evolved and marketed. If all of the features of Carrara were to be modernized and brought to their potential - Daz could ask $995.00 and get it - easy.
    It's like having 1971 Plymouth cuda in the garage. Yeah it's gonna take some work, but it'll be a head turner when it's done.

In this regard I feel that Daz studio has been a distraction. I can appreciate the technology. It's not Carrara.

Post edited by Realtime on
  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,219
    edited December 1969

Y'know, also it just occurred to me. I think DAZ management takes that into account when deciding future strategy for any of its products:

"Let's see, Carrara has always been on a fairly bumpy road, right?"

"Yeah, pretty much..."

"Oh, well that makes our decision a lot easier. We'll just keep doing that, right?"

"What do you think, Boss?"

"Sounds good to me. Keep it around, but with a sketchy future. Next?" :)

So that's good news...it'll be around forever, just with a sketchy future. Cool. :)

Rolling on the F ing Floor Laughing my F ing Arse Off!!!
    Yeah, Holly also reminds us that, even if it gets dropped and never picked up, that doesn't change the fact that it works freaking awesome right now, so... who really needs to worry...
    right? Thanks Holly!
  • tsaristtsarist Posts: 1,606
    edited December 1969

They will probably make the announcement in some cryptic fashion, just before the close of business on a Friday.
    We will all get upset, the moderators will sensor the crap out of the forums and we will get some half baked, half thought out solution by Wednesday of the following week.
    If past events are a fair indicator...

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,799
    edited December 1969

the announcement will be around the 21st Feb and it will be for the new beta serial for 8.5 to get us thru to March :ohh:

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited December 1969

This is great news. Thanks for sharing!

edited January 2013

...that doesn't change the fact that it works freaking awesome right now, so... who really needs to worry...
    right? Thanks Holly!

This from the guy who was complaining so much about not being able to save your scenes? Yeah, I have the same problem, and it sucks. Which is the opposite of awesome.

And the cloth sucks. Which is the opposite of awesome. You can't even have the slightest bit of morph action or motion of collision objects.

Wanna go down the list?

Won't make any difference. It's all awesome, right?

Post edited by JoeMamma2000 on
  • magaremotomagaremoto Posts: 1,226
    edited December 1969

Kodiak3D said:

this is too much similar to the previous announcement of sale, do you remember when eovia sold carrara and Hex to daz? maybe they have found a purchaser interested in developing carrara

• 3dView3dView Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Oh at least Daz has given us some fun to try and figure out this one.

We could go on forever coming up with "what does that mean ?" but really its so short to be too helpful. The only thing that one could glean is that this Daz person felt the need to ask his supervisor about it. Which in itself kind of means that person was either told not to say anything unless you see me first or this person( Kraig ) has no idea about Carrara at all and had no way to know how to handle the question which when you consider all Kodiak asked about was lack of communication -----not exactly a tough one to answer ----"yes, we are sorry guys. So busy working on code and bug fixes we have had little time to communicate"

And the fact there is a supervisor over this person who could not answer a rather soft pitch ball, makes one wonder of who is working on bugs or enhancements. Does anyone know this name , is he new ? or worked before on other stuff maybe?

So , its just fun trying to read the tea leaves . Probably not something to get to worked up about but I think some of the folks on the Titanic said the same about those random pieces of ice on the upper deck .............

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

Who knows what the announcement could be, more stall tactics in my opinion.
    In case no one has noticed with all the genesis stuff being released to the store, but DAZ hasn't undate to any app in quite a while, not even it's diva Studio.

Post edited by ManStan on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,825
    edited December 1969

Studio (along with the DSON Importer for Poser) was updated this week; not that that's any comfort to Carrara users, I know.

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Studio (along with the DSON Importer for Poser) was updated this week; not that that's any comfort to Carrara users, I know.

It's news... We were told it would be in that order so if there is progress with Poser then it is news....

Once this is all over maybe there will be more effort to keep things in sync.... It's a bummer that we are last but someone has to be last. It's a sign that DAZ is being a little more deliberate with development...

I'm guessing that we are not going to get any untied bugs fixed at this point. They have to focus on Genesis and the database thing. It's possible that there is a private beta now that is a newer version....

I wonder if Genesis will be updated again? that would actually put us 4th in line....