Upgrading to 4.5.1.56

oldblockoldblock Posts: 99
edited December 1969 in New Users

Having watched some of the excellent new tutorials on DS4 I find certain bits in my setup (4.5.0.114) are missing. Before embarking on what will for me be confusing journey trying to fix broken bells and whistles I'm wondering whether it would be simpler to just install the latest 4.5.1.56.
Can anyone offer advice for a very low tech user
Window 7/64

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Well, considering that there are a huge number of bug fixes, in the last 2 release versions (4.5.1.6 and now 4.5.1.56), I'd say, yes it's probably for the best to update...

• oldblockoldblock Posts: 99
    edited December 1969

Thanks for that, its all good news, first a really meaningful set of tutes that are so up to date I have to upgrade and then I learn that DS4 has had a whole bunch of problems fixed.
    So, I just do an uninstall and start over?

edited December 1969

The new release will uninstall the previous version...but you may need to manually uninstall the Content Manager (in fact, I recommend manually uninstalling it). Also the Genesis Starter Essentials will need to be updated. The rest of your content is fine, though.

edited December 1969

Thanks again, I'll get on to this in the morning.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    The new release will uninstall the previous version...but you may need to manually uninstall the Content Manager (in fact, I recommend manually uninstalling it). Also the Genesis Starter Essentials will need to be updated. The rest of your content is fine, though.
    Daz3D has stated that if CMS has changed it will uninstall the old one for us but I do what mjc said...I uninstal CMS myself everytime...and since I have done that I have had no issues at all with CMS running.
  • Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    mjc1016 said:
    Daz3D has stated that if CMS has changed it will uninstall the old one for us but I do what mjc said...I uninstal CMS myself everytime...and since I have done that I have had no issues at all with CMS running.

Should you stop the CMS first before uninstalling it, or is it OK to just leave it running?

• adamr001adamr001 Posts: 1,322
    edited December 1969

It will stop itself as part of uninstalling.

edited December 1969

adamr001 said:
    It will stop itself as part of uninstalling.

That's ingenious - thanks, Adam!

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    mjc1016 said:

I've installed DS4.5 so many times over the past two months (the last couple of betas and the latest release, testing with the last 8 releases of WINE) that I've found about half the time, yes, the CMS behaves...the other half...well...you'll keep more hair in your natural color if you just go and manually uninstall it first...

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,439
    edited December 1969

Yes, it's suppose to uninstall but I haven't tried it to verify.

edited December 1969

I made the mistake of uninstalling the old version of both the Genesis Starter Essential and the Genesis Start Essential Poser CF files before I installed the newest 1.11 version. When a lot of yellow triangles and exclamation points appeared I wondered if that was the reason. Sure enough, as soon as I reinstalled the old Poser Companion file, everything was fine. So now I have a version 1.11 Genesis Starter Essential file and a version 1.6 of the Genesis Starter EssentialPoserCF file.

edited December 1969

I have upgradedDS4 and installed GSE 1.11. There are no hand poses, I have a hand folder but there is nothing in it. I see I can buy hands for Genesis but I'm wondering if I still have some essentials missing. Is there a list of what should have been installed that I can check?

• BlackFeather1973BlackFeather1973 Posts: 739
    edited December 1969

oldblock said:
    I have upgradedDS4 and installed GSE 1.11. There are no hand poses, I have a hand folder but there is nothing in it. I see I can buy hands for Genesis but I'm wondering if I still have some essentials missing. Is there a list of what should have been installed that I can check?

Content used to come with a readme file that lists everything that comes with the product. For newer content this info can be found in the online product index.
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/14812/start