Carrara?

I have not been on here in years. Did I miss something? Or has DAZ stopped even selling Carrara? I can find it anywhere on the daz site?

Comments

• its there but bit overshadowed by their star app DAZ studio.

http://www.daz3d.com/carrara-8-5-pro

its gone very cheap at times but currently not a bad price

• oh if buying any content be very wary of anything DAZ studio only especially Genesis 3, that will crash Carrara outright, other stuff like props rather hit or miss much discussion in this forum on it.

Stuff with Poser companion files still can be iffy as those Poser 8+ only not Carrara which needs the DS duf if it works fully, some morphs may not.

Native Poser content works fine and some vendors still produce it, Pepitet being one.

http://www.daz3d.com/petipet

• SO what some people said over 5 yeasr ago was correct DAZ is letting Carrara die

• we are not allowed to speculate here but ...

I am still fighting for its survival as are other users.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086

As of last year at this time, there was evidence that Daz still had people working to get Genesis 3 skinning to work in Carrara.  There is a post copied from a technical issues forum and then subsequent clarification by Daz employee.  There is no subsequent evidence that Daz has continued in that effort, or any other development effort related to Carrara.  Assuming Daz_Spooky and Daz_Rawb were not lying last year, what people said 5 years ago was false at the time of their speculation, but could be correct now.  Or, maybe quaternion skining will be supported in combination with the release of Genesis 4 and Studio 5.  Who knows?  Daz is silent on the issue.  The disclosure of the Genesis 3 skinning effort for Carrara was likely the result of a too-general response by an employee, which Daz then felt the need to clarify to a minimum degree.  If you want to see the Daz posts related to Genesis 3 in Carrara, flip back through this form a few pages and look for threads speculating on the future of Carrara.  The posts are copied in almost every one of those threads.

SO what some people said over 5 yeasr ago was correct DAZ is letting Carrara die

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,086

BTW, welcome back.  There have been some interesting improvements (not by Daz).  Philemo has developed a bridge to get the VWD program's dynamic features working for Carrara.  PhilW, Head Wax, and others are doing some amazing work with that innovation.  Mistymist has been taking apart the cr2 files (or the equivelant) to make geografts compatble with Carrara. 

Cheers.

• TGS808TGS808 Posts: 168

its there but bit overshadowed by their star app DAZ studio.

You'd have to be crazy to pay $285 for seven year old software. Someone on here recently said they got it from the Daz store for $1.13. (no, that is not a typo) At this point, Daz shold give it away just for visitning the forum.

SO what some people said over 5 yeasr ago was correct DAZ is letting Carrara die

All signs point to yes. But no one here is allow to say that. If you do, they delete your posts.

• TGS808 said:

You'd have to be crazy to pay $285 for seven year old software. Someone on here recently said they got it from the Daz store for $1.13. (no, that is not a typo) At this point, Daz shold give it away just for visitning the forum.

ah of course I see the PC+ price of $45

• for me though purchased it is 85% off

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,249
    TGS808 said:

Right, but that was a store error. They're not going to take it back and ask them to pay what they were supposed to - they just fix the issue and move on.

Here's the thing:

If having a full environmental creation system which opens Poser figures natively with morphs and working joints without having to jump through a bunch of hoops, as well as being a modeling app to boot, you'll be hard-pressed to find a better deal.

Maybe I'm crazy, but for what Carrara does for me, I'd gladly pay $285 over buying anything else. But I am also not chasing the latest figure technology from Daz3d either. If you want to use Genesis 3, then you'd have to wait and see if Carrara gets upgraded. I am still very happily using the Michael 4 and Victoria 4 family of figures and other original figures using that same rigging system.

I also love Carrara's native render engine - it can be set to render extremely fast or really slow, depending on what we want. I always go for speed - for animations.

This one takes a little over two minutes at this quality. Very simple lighting and a couple of lighting effects to create the light cones. The outer glow seen around lit objects is Carrara's "Aura" effect that I really like using. It's not perfect, as you can see here, but is just right for my animations. For higher quality glows, we can easily do what most people do and add them in post. I do both. I run the aursa in Carrara, and then when I enhance the clips in post, they end up looking fabulous.

Here is that back corridor we see right of center in the above render

Different colored lighting and adding Genesis 2 Female, which does work in Carrara 8.5

This is the ship that the above scenes are inside of - this one being a kit-bash. The smoke/haze in this one is Carrara's Volumetric Clouds, the engine fire is tweaked out Carrara fire

Something entirely different

TGS808 said:

All signs point to yes. But no one here is allow to say that. If you do, they delete your posts.

Well... that's a strange thing. 

Daz3d bought Carrara and Bryce and Hexagon, as opposed to Daz Studio, which they've created themselves in-house. That shouldn't really matter, but in this case... it does.

They have always had a clear idea of what they wanted Daz Studio to be, to become. In striving toward that goal, Daz Studio has developed.

I don't think that they've put a complete and permanent halt on development, it just gets put on hold - and that hold goes on too long for many folks whom seek active development.

I'm fine with it though. I just like having a working Carrara that lets me do my thing.

But... yeah... it's been silent since shortly after 8.5 came out until they've announced that Carrara 9 was coming, and it never did. Is it still coming? Probably... just that nobody from Daz3d will tell us for sure.

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

March Madness sale should be comin!! angel

is a good time to get Carrara for good price, 

might be worth it to get the quarterly pc memship in time for the sale

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,929
    edited February 2017

nice work dart

IMG_3330.PNG
    1536 x 2048 - 251K
    Post edited by Headwax on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

and they do support our monthly challenfes.

plus carrara cafe? not sure who hosts it

If you're a Daz Studio user, Carrara can really come in handy for making your Iray domes, like I've done here with a fairly quick scene setup and a spherical camera. This sort of render took a bit longer, since it's something like 8,000 x 4,000, some of them I went higher, but decided I didn't need to in the end.

May people think that it needs to be an HDRI, but it doesn't as long as we add a light or two to assist in directional illumination

...and so here I did the same approach but in Carrara, since I tend to like rendering in Carrara more than I like Iray

Same principle except that this time I did bake three exposures of the scene into an HDRI using a free app called Picturenaut

Another Iray Dome test using a standard three light setup, Key, Fill and then the Rim light is super bright and orange

Early tests modeling for Genesis using Carrara - including bringing all of the finished content into Carrara to pose and render

...and another test of Genesis 2 Female in Carrara with a LOT of other content. None of this scene is backdrop - all geometry or volumes

edited February 2017

And then there's the fact that Carrara's dynamic hair is just second-to-none from anything I've seen on the market, though it's been a while since I've gone looking.

You don't see me using it a whole lot because I still haven't figured out how to make dynamic hair this curly to animate smoothly.

The time may come when I'll start studying it again to see if I can make it work for me. In the meantime, it surely makes for an excellent still frame!

But straight hair or even fairly wavy hair animates beautifully, and we have a full course on that on YouTube, authored by our own jonstark

This example even shows it at a fairly lower-quality setting from hat it's capable of.

Notice how thick each hair is? I did that to simulate less hairs. But if we set the hair to higher standards, like thinner strands and a lot more of them (depending on what we're going for) and we can make Carrara hair look freaking real!

I can tell by the dress that this is Genesis 2 Female

Post edited by Dartanbeck on
    edited February 2017

But... yeah... it's been silent since shortly after 8.5 came out until they've announced that Carrara 9 was coming, and it never did. Is it still coming? Probably...

Probably not.

just that nobody from Daz3d will tell us for sure.

You mean, "at all". And that's a pretty big clue. And a problem. Not only do all other software companies tell you there is a new realease is coming, they'll actually tell you when it's coming and what the features are. What a novel approach. 

Post edited by TGS808 on

TGS808 said:

But... yeah... it's been silent since shortly after 8.5 came out until they've announced that Carrara 9 was coming, and it never did. Is it still coming? Probably...

just that nobody from Daz3d will tell us for sure.

Not only do all other software companies tell you there is a new realease is coming, they'll actually tell you when it's coming and what the features are. 

Not true. Have you seen what's going on with NewTek and LightWave lately? Silo? Poser? Fusion?

Software all over is being unclear as to what the future holds. Who really cares? Just work with what we have and be patient!

Fun and easy particles!

(the fire on the ground (below) is Carrara's Fire primitive, which animates nicely)

Fun with terrains, plants, sky, clouds, and the wonderful ability to load in content from a Poser-style runtime environment

Aside from the Dragon and the Tower, this scene comes in Carrara's browser - by Howie Farkes 

...and volumetric clouds work inside as well

Oh... I just love Carrara. After getting used to a few of the tools - especially practicing lighting and atmospheres, working in Carrara is my favorite reason to approach my computer!

It (Carrara) has a lot (LOT) of tools and features and functions. I've had it since 2010 and am still discovering all kinds of things that I haven't explored before.

Recently I've discovered using spot lights with a gel to create volumetric fog from the light, using it's light cone effect. I've used the light coone effect for years - just not this gel/fog thing... and now I just love it and use it for adding drama 

(already shown this one, but illustrates the effect well)

...and Carrara works absolutely beautifully with the older, Poser-based content that is now very, Very inexpensive - so I work with that a lot.

This scene was made using a pile of free goodies I got from Daz3d for Christmas 

so was this one

an old animated video I made years ago using some of my early Carrara test render animations to test Sony Vegas

Most everyone here has seen this already, and I've learned a lot since this

I made this one to answer the question: "So does Genesis really work in Carrara?" back when Carrara 8.5 was still in beta phase

I made this for a 10 second animation challenge in this forum

This one demonstrates building a scene using my Carrara EnvironKit - Woodlands product along with content. I used the Palenque Ruins because it represents a great example for tweaking shaders and using elements to fill out a scene, so might be useful just to see Carrara in action a bit.

Warning, I babble a lot and if I'd edit that out, I fear that I'd miss the feel of the thing.

This is the preceeding one that explains what the kit contains

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,823

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

Has anyone else noticed that his airyplane has a face

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    Chohole said:

Has anyone else noticed that his airyplane has a face

But of course! Don't all aeroplanes?