Slightly confused by new installers - what's "Poser CF"?

2»

Comments

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985
    edited October 2014

Note those are STUDIO Companion Files (StudioCF) which are typically DAZ material presets for content delivered in Poser Format. You want to reimport those. You shouldn't see any PoserCF metadata files (anymore) you can uncheck those, or better yet, remove them from Runtime/Support folder.

Post edited by Lindsey on
  • themarkcymruthemarkcymru Posts: 86
    edited December 1969

Thanks Lindsey

If I remove them from the Support folder this will mean that they won't be available for Poser right. So perhaps un-tick under "Import Metadata" list. I also use Poser so the content would be useful.

What about legacy versions. Are they Poser or Daz?

Thanks again
    Mark

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985
    edited December 1969

Thanks Lindsey

If I remove them from the Support folder this will mean that they won't be available for Poser right. So perhaps un-tick under "Import Metadata" list. I also use Poser so the content would be useful.

What about legacy versions. Are they Poser or Daz?

Thanks again
    Mark

The files in the Support folder are used to add products to CMS allowing them to show up in DAZ Studio (DS) on the Smart Content tab. Early on, DAZ included metadata for the PoserCF installers which wasn't needed as Poser doesn't utilize metadata. If you check newer PoserCF installers they don't include any metadata files for Runtime/Support.

Removing the PoserCF files from Runtime/Support has no effect on the PoserCF files which are needed for the use of DSON products in Poser via the DSON Importer for Poser.

Legacy installers are DS installers for people who use DAZ Studio 3x and I believe DAZ 4.0, if I recall correctly. Those versions don't recognize the current DS .duf format file format. If you are using DAZ Studio 4.5 or higher and install the legacy installers, you'll be duplicating those products in your DS Content Library.

• ScavengerScavenger Posts: 2,664
    edited December 1969

marble said:

And double clicking that gives me: IM00012557-01_ActualHair 2.zip.cpgz
    Which is another copy of the file I first started with!

THIS is a Mac thing. This can happen with the built in Archive Utility tries to unzip a corrupt zip file.
    http://osxdaily.com/2013/02/13/open-zip-cpgz-file/ for more details.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

In an old un-DIMed file I'm looking at..there's a DPC, a TX, and a TRX file... the TX is templates.
    Not sure what the TRX is.
    chohole said early in the thread it contains metadata, but it's as big as the DPC.

• !green_9dd09f3341!green_9dd09f3341 Posts: 78
    edited November 2017

I tried DS and don't like it so what files do I need for Poser ONLY?   

Have hair, hairPS and hairPoserCF   still confused!

Post edited by !green_9dd09f3341 on
  • I tried DS and don't like it so what files do I need for Poser ONLY?   

Have hair, hairPS and hairPoserCF   still confused!

Depends on the product - if you have Hair adn Hair PoserCF then you'd need both (and the DSON Importer). if there's also a Poser isntaller in its own right it may be supporting multiple figures, with the Hair PS files for (at a guess) Michael 4 or Victoria 4 and the hair and Hair PosceCF for a Genesis (in whichase the hair PS would be standalone for supporting the older figures, as long as it included the textures).

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,742

DAZ should provide an easy filter or setting that allows us to eliminate all CF files. CF files are for Poser. i don't use Poser any more, and don't like CF files cluttering up my installations.

• Male-M3diaMale-M3dia Posts: 3,581

Ron, there's a setting in DIM that does just that

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

DAZ should provide an easy filter or setting that allows us to eliminate all CF files. CF files are for Poser. i don't use Poser any more, and don't like CF files cluttering up my installations.

Hi, Ron. :) As Male-M3dia mentioned, you can filter what files DIM shows you. 

Click on the little gear icon in the upper right corner, then click on the Downloads tab, then put a check mark only by the files that you want showing up in the download window and uncheck any that you don't (like the Poser files). 

• so the CF files get installed to DAZ Studio if you might want to import them into Poser;  pos files get installed to Poser;  Dz & Legacy files get installed to DAZ . . . correct?

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479

so the CF files get installed to DAZ Studio if you might want to import them into Poser;  pos files get installed to Poser;  Dz & Legacy files get installed to DAZ . . . correct?

If I followed your thinking here, then yes.

If you don't have Poser, you don't need to install the PoserCF files. If you find StudioCF files for an older product, you only have to install those if there isn't a ProductName DS file. If there is a DS file, the product has been updated from Poser format.

The file structure for Poser products and Daz Studio products are different. If you look in your Content Library with all the folders collapsed, you'll see "DAZ Studio Formats" and "Poser Formats." If you expand both of those one level, you'll see both have My DAZ 3D Library. Expanding those one more level will finally show they are very different.

To be honest, I find locating Poser content very difficult. I will use DIM to show me the installed files, so I can see where things have been stored.