Backdrop not ocupying the whole scene layout

edited December 1969 in New Users

My eyes problem being solved I have the problem with my background picture which doesn't occupy the whole scene space as shown here :

This causes the rendering to have part of my character's feet outside the background which is horrid as you can see here!:

How can I expand the backdrop to occupy the whole scene with or whithout loss of some part of the picture?

Thanks for your help.

fonds_pompei_vue_face_squelette_à_garderrecadré_1.jpg
480 x 527 - 72K
2013-01-05_13h39_40.png
1658 x 865 - 984K

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited January 2013

First of all, turn on the 'Show Aspect Frame', this will show you what will be rendered. You can then alter the frame size in Render Settings to get what you need.

Untitled-1.jpg
    640 x 456 - 149K
    Post edited by JimmyC_2009 on
  • NeilV_1NeilV_1 Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

as far as I can see all you need to do is move your camera position so that the feet are in the production frame.

I would also ask how are you applying the image to the background as I see a lot of white space

• edited December 1969

Hi Jimmy;
    Yes I have the "Show aspect frame " checked, but I wonder if we have Daz 3D same version. Mine is 4.5
    and in the settings render panel, changing the aspect ratio has no effect on the working space and background dimpensions
    fusion. It gives me a full screen in 16/9 aspect ratio with the result that the background perspective is deformed
    and partly cropped.

• edited January 2013

NeilV 1 said:
    as far as I can see all you need to do is move your camera position so that the feet are in the production frame.

I would also ask how are you applying the image to the background as I see a lot of white space

I use the background option of the edit menu. And my problem is exactly what you say "as I see a lot of white space"!lol!

I found a tutorial on the subject here "http://www.amandabb.com/daz-studio-tutorials/daz-studio-tutorial-3-adding-a-background-and-posing-your-character/#comment-2160" , but I think Amanda uses a previous version of DAZ3 D as her second method I tried to use did not work out
    and I did not find the menus she talked about.

Moving the skeleton would pose another problem as I wish it to look like being seated on the corner of the fountain on the right of the
    image, actually I'm not very satisfied with what I've done for the moment. I must learn to use better the shadows so that it looks seated on the ground by the fountain.; any suggestions and counseling is welcomed as I'm a beginner and have a lot to learn. I think I succeeded to have the feeling of terror expressed by the skeleton but probably the lighting can be bettered too.
    In the final stage of the video resulting the skeleton will progressively transform itself into a roman with its tunic and take the viewer on a tour of the ruins before returning to ashes at the end of the movie. I use Avid Studio and Lightworks for the editing and video transfer;

Post edited by jvdesuit1_582de7c548 on
  • SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited January 2013

Copied from your Dreamlight post about this

Using the Background option is why this is happening. Something to try apart form compositing them together in GIMP etc

1: Apply the BKG image to a plane (Create > New Primitive > Plane
    2: Rotate plane on the X axis by 90 degrees
    3: Surfaces Pane apply the image to the diffuse colour channel and to the ambient colour channel.
    4: Set diffuse strength to 0% set ambient strength to 100% Doing this will avoid any scene lighting spilling on the the background.
    5: Also in the Parameters Pane turn OFF Casting Shadows for the plane.
    6: Position Plane to suit.

Post edited by Szark on
  • edited January 2013

Szark said:

Using the Background option is why this is happening. Something to try apart form compositing them together in GIMP etc

3: Surfaces Pane apply the image to the diffuse colour channel and to the ambient colour channel.
    4: Set diffuse strength to 0% set ambient strength to 100% Doing this will avoid any scene lighting spilling on the the background.

I'm not sure I understand the way you do it:

"1: Apply the BKG image to a plane (Create > New Primitive > Plane"

Do I open the primitive first? How do i apply the Background?

"3: Surfaces Pane apply the image to the diffuse colour channel and to the ambient colour channel."

"Surface" is the option in the Tools Menu ? How do you that?

I'm sorry Pete, but I'm a real beginner here and all this is not at all obvious not to say
    the difficulty to get to the different menus and options....

Post edited by jvdesuit1_582de7c548 on
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Step one, Creat a Primitive Plane, then Shape it useing the Prameters Tab settings so it looks to be the same as your Image in width and Hieght. Then using the Pramaters tab rotate the plane as Szark has noted.
    Step two, Open the Surfaces Tab With the plane selected Window>Tabs(Panes)>Surfaces Click the square Icon at the End of the Diffuse setting. Browse to your file and Load it.
    Step three, Do the same for the Ambient section, set settings for the sections as Szark said.

I hope this helps.

• edited December 1969

Thanks Pete and Jaderail! Well that was not obvious at all!!!! Really there is definitely something vital missing in DAZ which is an easy to use and printable manual.with a cross reference index.

I could have searched for hours!

edited January 2013

jvdesuit1 said:
    Szark said:

I'm not sure I understand the way you do it:

"1: Apply the BKG image to a plane (Create > New Primitive > Plane"

Do I open the primitive first? How do i apply the Background?

"3: Surfaces Pane apply the image to the diffuse colour channel and to the ambient colour channel."

"Surface" is the option in the Tools Menu ? How do you that?

I'm sorry Pete, but I'm a real beginner here and all this is not at all obvious not to say
    the difficulty to get to the different menus and options....

Yeah it is easier to show but I don't have access to Daz Studio or any software I use so I can show the process.

Thx Jaderail

Does that do the trick for you jvdesuit1 or do you need more info?

EDIT TO ADD:
    Also I noticed from you UI (User Interface) you don't have the Paramters Pane showing. For me I don't tend to use the Camera and Light Panes as I can gain access to the Camera and Lights settings in the Paramters Pane

Post edited by Szark on
  • edited December 1969

Thanks again Pete; by the way call me Claude better than my pseudo.
    I just have to transfer my figure and its lighting to the new scene; hope I can.
    I suppose there must be a way to create one's personal library of figures etc;
    I'll have to check that in the diverse tutorials on the web.

edited December 1969

seeing this I really need to redo my tutorials that we lost when we moved over from the old forum as I had one on this very subject.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

EDIT TO ADD:
    Also I noticed from you UI (User Interface) you don't have the Paramters Pane showing. For me I don't tend to use the Camera and Light Panes as I can gain access to the Camera and Lights settings in the Paramters Pane

Yeah, there are so many ways to configure the UI now, it's hard to say, with certainty, how to do something without knowing what the UI layout already is...screenshots have become almost required.

• edited December 1969

NeilV 1 said:
    seeing this I really need to redo my tutorials that we lost when we moved over from the old forum as had one on this very subject.

II suppose it could be quite useful for beginners like me. Having been in charge of training in financial analysis
    I know this is very difficult. Especially if you do it on videos. It's time consuming and it is not obvious to put oneself in place of someone completely virgin on the software. One always forgets very simple things to say which seem obvious and are not. Another thing to be aware
    of is the speaking speed of the teacher. Don't forget Neil that there are also foreigners like me; I'm not too bad with English or American
    accents but there are times when it is necessary to rewind the tape two or three times to understand what the guy has said!!!

If you need a beta tester for that I'll be quite willing to give you a hand.

edited December 1969

jvdesuit1 said:
    Thanks again Pete; by the way call me Claude better than my pseudo.
    I just have to transfer my figure and its lighting to the new scene; hope I can.
    I suppose there must be a way to create one's personal library of figures etc;
    I'll have to check that in the diverse tutorials on the web.
    Just load your scene you have now. Then just set the Backdrop to None. Tada your ready to go again.
    edited December 1969

jvdesuit1 said:
    NeilV 1 said:
    seeing this I really need to redo my tutorials that we lost when we moved over from the old forum as had one on this very subject.

II suppose it could be quite useful for beginners like me. Having been in charge of training in financial analysis
    I know this is very difficult. Especially if you do it on videos. It's time consuming and it is not obvious to put oneself in place of someone completely virgin on the software. One always forgets very simple things to say which seem obvious and are not. Another thing to be aware
    of is the speaking speed of the teacher. Don't forget Neil that there are also foreigners like me; I'm not too bad with English or American
    accents but there are times when it is necessary to rewind the tape two or three times to understand what the guy has said!!!

If you need a beta tester for that I'll be quite willing to give you a hand.
    I have started using QuarkXPress to create training materials so I may use that and go the screen cap route and then save as PDF that way I can get then upload quickly if they get lost

edited December 1969

I so wish we could Post PDF's here. Would help me greatly.

• edited December 1969

NeilV 1 said:
    jvdesuit1 said:
    I have started using QuarkXPress to create training materials so I may use that and go the screen cap route and then save as PDF that way I can get then upload quickly if they get lost

Where do you live? In the States? In Europe? I'm from Paris-France

edited December 1969

I agree Jaderial. I can use Scribus and import a word doc, arrange it and save out in PDF format. Or at a pinch with a lot of messing about just use the PDF exporter within Word itself. I hate doing it that way as Word has quirks in place so you go and buy Publisher. :) Scribus being a free open source DTP software makes the job so much easier.

• edited December 1969

Szark said:
    I agree Jaderial. I can use Scribus and import a word doc, arrange it and save out in PDF format. Or at a pinch with a lot of messing about just use the PDF exporter within Word itself. I hate doing it that way as Word has quirks in place so you go and buy Publisher. :) Scribus being a free open source DTP software makes the job so much easier.

I don't know if the software is used in France but a french translation of manual could also be useful.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Szark said:

I second the use of Scribus, but don't use it all that much, as LibreOffice (successor to OpenOffice) does a decent job at PDF export, too.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2013

jvdesuit1 said:
    NeilV 1 said:

Not sure how you muddled that quote.

Neil is from Ireland.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • edited December 1969

chohole said:
    jvdesuit1 said:
    NeilV 1 said:

Not sure how you muddled that quote.

Neil is from Ireland.

I just quoted part of our exchange , deleting the rest to make the reply shorter; I could of course not quote, hope this is not a problem.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2013

No problem, it just made it difficult to work out the what the new question was, as it appeared within the quote panel, and not under it.

Post edited by Chohole on