Generation 3 and 4 Shapes for Genesis... questions....

BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Hello.

I need some help here to make sure I correctly understand these items. I have read about them on the item page.
It appears from the text that these items are used with the Genesis figure to allow you to use the legacy clothing of the A4, G4, H4, F4, and the V3, M3, A3, H3, and Stephanie 3 and Freak figures.
Is there only one Freak figure, or a Freak 3 and Freak 4? And heavens above, is there also Genesis Freak?
Is Stephanis 3 also the Stephanie 3 Petite figure?
It appears also that by interchanging parts of these figures in Genesis, new figure patterns can be created.
If you kind folks can help in elaborating on this, and correcting an incorrect ideas I have, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
R

Comments

• PennamePenname Posts: 343
    edited December 1969

Not *just* so you can use the legacy clothing. If you don't have those Gen 3 or 4 figures and you like them, this lets you use them with Genesis or Gen 4 textures and enables them to wear any of your Genesis clothing. If you like the Girl look, why pay for the Gen 4 figure and clothing when you can just throw any old Genesis thing on her and have it fit, more or less . . . (she does have some unique, um, fitting issues - poor example maybe).

And definitely you can combine these and other morphs in the actor tab of Genesis to give you all sorts of different character looks/shapes.

I can't answer the Stephanie/Freak questions but I'm sure the answers are all in the store or more experienced users can throw in more info.

• BendinggrassBendinggrass Posts: 1,367
    edited December 1969

Penname said:
    Not *just* so you can use the legacy clothing. If you don't have those Gen 3 or 4 figures and you like them, this lets you use them with Genesis or Gen 4 textures and enables them to wear any of your Genesis clothing. If you like the Girl look, why pay for the Gen 4 figure and clothing when you can just throw any old Genesis thing on her and have it fit, more or less . . . (she does have some unique, um, fitting issues - poor example maybe).

And definitely you can combine these and other morphs in the actor tab of Genesis to give you all sorts of different character looks/shapes.

I can't answer the Stephanie/Freak questions but I'm sure the answers are all in the store or more experienced users can throw in more info.

Thanks so much.
    So does this mean you can then use, for example, a V3 character on the Genesis figure if you use this V3 figure package I asked about?

Thanks.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

The short answer is no.

Genesis doesn't take the V3 UV, so it won't use V3 textures unless you use a product that can convert textures from one UV to another. Gen X can let you use Gen 4 morphs on Genesis, but I don't think it works with Gen 3.

Basically those shapes let you use Gen 3 and 4 clothing, or let you create new characters that use shapes that look like V3 (not load old V3 shapes).

edited December 1969

The short answer is no.

Genesis doesn't take the V3 UV, so it won't use V3 textures unless you use a product that can convert textures from one UV to another. Gen X can let you use Gen 4 morphs on Genesis, but I don't think it works with Gen 3.

Basically those shapes let you use Gen 3 and 4 clothing, or let you create new characters that use shapes that look like V3 (not load old V3 shapes).

Thanks again.
    R

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253
    edited December 1969

Individual characters take the issue a step further. For those you need to have GenX to port the specific character morphs over to Genesis. But unless you have the legacy shapes to use as a starting point they aren't going to look quite the same once you get them there, because the character needs the underlying shape as a starting point.

But the legacy shapes do come with clone figures which are used by autofit, meaning you can bring in a lot of the Aiko 3 clothing and use it on the rest of your Genesis figures.

Plus you can blend the different shapes and build your own characters.

I think Stephanie3 and Stephanie Petite may be the same figure, but I'm not altogether certain. I don't *think* there was a Stephanie before Gen 3 however, and Stephanie has always been the petite adult female figure, so I feel reasonably confident in saying so.

Freak 3 and Freak 4 are two different figures. There is presumably a Freak 5 which hasn't been released yet.

Note: Girl 3 and Girl 4 are two different figures too. And no one has done a legacy shape for Girl 3. So her content is not transferable except through some outside soruces.

And none of the Gen3 skins transfer to Genesis. 3DUniverse has a transfer utility which is intended to transfer them to Gen 4, and does so with a bit of texture stretching in some cases, but it only runs on Windows. Once transfered, the resulting Gen 4 converted skin can be used on Genesis.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313
    edited December 1969

Gen X does work with Gen 3 you just need these as well as Gen X
    http://www.daz3d.com/genx-addon-gen3-bundle

edited December 1969

Thanks, JOdel and scorpio64dragon. That is a big help.

From what you both wrote, and from what I just read about GEN X, it appears the GEN X process is needed to actually transfer a character into Genesis to use on, for example, the V4 shape.

Am I understanding this correctly?

• Mr Gneiss GuyMr Gneiss Guy Posts: 462
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    Individual characters take the issue a step further. For those you need to have GenX to port the specific character morphs over to Genesis. But unless you have the legacy shapes to use as a starting point they aren't going to look quite the same once you get them there, because the character needs the underlying shape as a starting point.

But the legacy shapes do come with clone figures which are used by autofit, meaning you can bring in a lot of the Aiko 3 clothing and use it on the rest of your Genesis figures.

Plus you can blend the different shapes and build your own characters.

I think Stephanie3 and Stephanie Petite may be the same figure, but I'm not altogether certain. I don't *think* there was a Stephanie before Gen 3 however, and Stephanie has always been the petite adult female figure, so I feel reasonably confident in saying so.

Freak 3 and Freak 4 are two different figures. There is presumably a Freak 5 which hasn't been released yet.

Note: Girl 3 and Girl 4 are two different figures too. And no one has done a legacy shape for Girl 3. So her content is not transferable except through some outside soruces.

And none of the Gen3 skins transfer to Genesis. 3DUniverse has a transfer utility which is intended to transfer them to Gen 4, and does so with a bit of texture stretching in some cases, but it only runs on Windows. Once transfered, the resulting Gen 4 converted skin can be used on Genesis.

There was a Stephanie before Stephanie 3 Petite, called simply Stephanie. There was also a Stephanie Reduced Resolution. I downloaded them when Daz had all the old base figures for free a year or two ago. Can't say I ever loaded her, but hey, it was free! :-)

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,760
    edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    I don't *think* there was a Stephanie before Gen 3 however, and Stephanie has always been the petite adult female figure, so I feel reasonably confident in saying so.

Nope, there was indeed a Stephanie "1." a reduced resolution version of which is still sold in the store as "Reduced Resolution Stephanie." http://www.daz3d.com/stephanie-reduced-resolution-figure And, as a twist, IIRC, the first Aiko was a morph for Stephanie 1. There was no Steph 2, however, and Stephanie 3 was the first one to be "Petite," thus the dual names.

• JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,253
    edited December 1969

From what you both wrote, and from what I just read about GEN X, it appears the GEN X process is needed to actually transfer a character into Genesis to use on, for example, the V4 shape.

Yes.To bring the character morph over to Genesis, you need GenX. And as pointed out, to bring in Gen 3 character morphs you need the Gen X's Gen3 addition. And in either case you need the legacy shapes (from DAZ) to build on.

They work pretty damn well. But it isn't a one-click process. Some things come in with hardly any effort, and others you have to jump through hoops to make them port over. The developer is really good at responding to questions posted in the thread, however.

I stand corrected on the Stephanie 3 issue.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

Pretty much. If you're transferring a V4 figure (for example, I just converted Stephanie 4 a few minutes ago with no problems), you dial up the V4 shape for Genesis, then do the conversion with GenX. To use the new morphs on your Genesis figure, first dial up V4, then the converted morphs. Naturally, if you're converting M4 morphs, you would need to use the M4 for Genesis morph as your base. (And yes, I know there is a Stephanie 4 shape for Genesis, which I have, but the original has a bunch of alternate heads and bodies that the Genesis version doesn't have. Now I have the best of both.)