Carrara Community Movie Project Year 1 -- Story Ideas Welcomed

123457»

Comments

  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 806
    edited December 1969

    Ooseven,
    I did log in at Carrarators site and I didn't see a collaboration area , if you could point me in the right direction that would be great.

    Also, we have all the assets done to complete the "easy come easy go" clip , we just need people to animate/create each part of the storeyboard. I will post something a little later which will hopefully get things moving again.
    Mike

    0oseven said:
    This is true Rich - the Carrarator forum always had a section for collaboration - It really just needed someone to pick up the ball and kick it off. Why this topic/thread here on Daz collapsed was I believe, because the needs of collaborators are not been catered for and it was one of the reasons Carrarators was started - purely for those wanting to focus on animation and movie making.

    Remembering that if you dont sign up to the forum you dont see all that it covers.

    That said I have finally posted a fairly long article that's been in my pipeline for sometime and which I was slow to publish because I am no expert on making movies and kind of hoped others might do it for me. I have a zillion other things associated with the web/forum to keep me busy.

    Anyway my "article" suggests how one might collaborate and how Carrarator project groups could be used for a project. What I, with the support of a few others have tried to do with Carrators is provide a platform for others to work on - you have to do the rest with participation.

    So I would suggest anyone slightly interested in making a movie checks out Carrators - Take a look then post some comment or give your opinion and suggestions before you leave. Other people would like to read them. and hopefully you will stop by again. We would sure love you to become a regular !!

    cheers


  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,905
    edited December 1969

    There is a thread "Collaboration" but you must log'in to see it...

  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 806
    edited February 2014

    DUDU_00001,
    I did login but I didn't see a collaboration thread so I went to CarraraCafe and I am starting something at CarraraCafe which I will post here shortly about what I am trying to do.

    Basically we have almost all of the assets for the Easy Come Easy Go clip so I was hoping people would animate a couple panels each of the storeyboard . So , say I would animate panels 1 and 5 of the storeyboard. You could animate panels 2 and 6 or whatever panels you feel most comfortable doing and someone else would animate the panels they are most comfortable with. Hopefully in this way we could get all the panels animated and then we could get someone to edit all our individual animations into the final movie.
    I know this way of doing things doesn't lend itself to a movie with a continuity between clips but it will give people the freedom to work on their own clip and I think people will tend to finish something. . Hopefully working as a group this way we can get something done.

    So, all you future animators out there take a look at the Storeyboard and pick what panels you want to animate or do and let us know. Upload your final animation when you are done and hopefully we will have a finished movie in a month or so. Here is the storeyboard. and I will post the link to the Assets to download and the link to the CarraraCafe User group as well.
    Have fun with this.
    Mike

    StoreyBoard.jpg
    526 x 872 - 78K
    Post edited by mmoir on
  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 806
    edited February 2014

    Okay, here is a link to the CarraraCafe user group for this CCMP effort.

    http://carraracafe.com/group?gid=6

    Here are the links where you can download all the assets.

    https://www.box.com/s/hm8lrgqar0n6zywsgny8 watch by 3dage
    https://www.box.com/s/2a8k068637cpw7tk0d8d watch by Roygee
    https://www.box.com/s/luybw7czjejh7puiw8vx Man model with rig attached
    https://www.box.com/s/y3walcf21qd7s08i4so2 Coin by Roygee
    http://carraracafe.com/wp-content/wps-content/forum/888/889/1_realisticterrainfinaltmaps.zip Landscape terrain or Set by mmoir

    When creating your animation of each panel feel free to do what you want , be creative .

    Have fun with this.
    Mike

    Post edited by mmoir on
  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 806
    edited December 1969

    DUDU_00001,
    I did login to the Carrarators site but I didn't login to the Forums there was my problem, this double login is a pain. When I try to login to the forums I get an "incorrect Username" , from what I remember this login was very buggy and it appears it still is. I know there was an issue with Internet explorer but I also tried Firefox with no success in logging in to the forums . Any tips.
    Thanks.

  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 806
    edited December 1969

    DUDU,
    Okay , I went and registered again at the Carrarators forum and I got into the larger forum so I will look around . I do think the Carrarators site is the place to try and do this movie thing because the people there are interested in animation. I will try and start a thread over there to get things started.

  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Oh, ok so I won't put an announcement about the group on the front page then? lol

  • 0oseven0oseven Posts: 595
    edited December 1969

    mmoir said:
    DUDU,
    Okay , I went and registered again at the Carrarators forum and I got into the larger forum so I will look around . I do think the Carrarators site is the place to try and do this movie thing because the people there are interested in animation. I will try and start a thread over there to get things started.

    Sorry you had login problems - some do some don't - use this direct link to avoid login twice

    http://www.bond3d.byethost18.com/

    You may have missed the collaboration if everything was expanded which fills up the screen.
    here is a screenshot of the forum with topics collapsed except for collaboration.

    forum_menu_.jpg
    1015 x 644 - 89K
  • DUDUDUDU Posts: 1,905
    edited December 1969

    He He, one plays the cat and mouse…
    On CarraraCafé, I have this message: "You do not have permission to view this topic, sorry."
    And why won't one launch this first project on the two sites?

  • Rich GellesRich Gelles Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    mmoir,
    Nice of you to get the ball rolling along again. I think it would be best to have it reside in one place --it could get a little disconnected if its in two places. I also see no troubles with having different folks try their hand at different panels. In fact, I beleive that is the best way to run a community driven thing. Let everyone give it a go as it were to try and begin learning and get going doing something as it were.
    The panels can be reviewed and the best panels will filter their way to the top. If their was some kind of artistic director(s) or group they could decide best. My take on this as it was before, this was to be a learning experience --to work as a group, and flesh out workflow , group work flow and other technical issues with the intent of taking what was learned , improving and changing and applying it to a bigger project.
    I think this can be the beginning of something very good.

    Rich

  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 806
    edited December 1969

    Holly,
    You can put an announcement up on the front page but we can let people know that it is also up on the Carrarators site as well. This way we may get more interest in the project if it is running on two sites. We will see how it goes as far as interest in the project at each site.
    Mike

    Oh, ok so I won't put an announcement about the group on the front page then? lol
  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    mmoir said:
    Holly,
    You can put an announcement up on the front page but we can let people know that it is also up on the Carrarators site as well. This way we may get more interest in the project if it is running on two sites. We will see how it goes as far as interest in the project at each site.
    Mike

    Oh, ok so I won't put an announcement about the group on the front page then? lol

    Ok sure. And I can add the Carrarators link.

    On CarraraCafé, I have this message: “You do not have permission to view this topic, sorry.”
    You have to join the group before you can access those discussions... Not sure it that is optional, maybe the way Mike set it up?

  • Rashad Bryce-CarraraRashad Bryce-Carrara Posts: 1,690
    edited February 2014

    It is difficult to get the entire community's arrow of attention to point toward the same direction. A project like this needs exceptional leadership which I was unable to provide, due to several things but one of them being a lack of practical skills using Carrara itself, I simply wasn't able to lead by example, and I had to consult others about most every technical aspect of everything, I was ill equipped.

    I am somewhat sad because I feel like I may have let some community members down, and secretly I wish we could try it all over again..I just know that until someone comes along who can actually LEAD this thing, it won't happen.

    The idea was to help heal the community which was splintered at the time, to get back to focusing on what Carrara "had" instead of what we "wanted it to gain" during what many felt was too long a wait for the next update. In that sense it worked, as a momentary healing distraction for the community.

    Thanks all for your support, both then and now!

    Post edited by Rashad Bryce-Carrara on
  • Rashad Bryce-CarraraRashad Bryce-Carrara Posts: 1,690
    edited December 1969

    mmoir said:
    DUDU_00001,
    I did login but I didn't see a collaboration thread so I went to CarraraCafe and I am starting something at CarraraCafe which I will post here shortly about what I am trying to do.

    Basically we have almost all of the assets for the Easy Come Easy Go clip so I was hoping people would animate a couple panels each of the storeyboard . So , say I would animate panels 1 and 5 of the storeyboard. You could animate panels 2 and 6 or whatever panels you feel most comfortable doing and someone else would animate the panels they are most comfortable with. Hopefully in this way we could get all the panels animated and then we could get someone to edit all our individual animations into the final movie.
    I know this way of doing things doesn't lend itself to a movie with a continuity between clips but it will give people the freedom to work on their own clip and I think people will tend to finish something. . Hopefully working as a group this way we can get something done.

    So, all you future animators out there take a look at the Storeyboard and pick what panels you want to animate or do and let us know. Upload your final animation when you are done and hopefully we will have a finished movie in a month or so. Here is the storeyboard. and I will post the link to the Assets to download and the link to the CarraraCafe User group as well.
    Have fun with this.
    Mike

    This looks hopeful. If you lead the production yourself this might actually stand a chance of being completed! Awesome! Mike!

  • evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 8,910
    edited December 1969

    Rashad, that was a thankless job that you took on. Even though I didn't participate or even agree on all aspects of the project, thanks for trying.


    I do agree that it helped distract some from the acrimony that was here. I feel there were some other factors that helped with lessening the tension here just as much, but out of respect for the individuals involved, that is all I'll say.


    I think the real problem isn't really leadership, but geography, time, interest and personal goals. It sounds like a cool idea, but for my part, I didn't have the time or interest as I was working towards other goals, and my interest in an animation subject was completely different than what was proposed.


    I am also hampered by geography in that I live in a technologically underserved area, which our Idiot in Chief in the State House is perpetuating by his refusal of federal tech infrastructure moneys for his own political agenda. All of which means I don't even have access to DSL. I have to use satellite which is expensive, has severe data restrictions (even at the top tiers of their pricing schemes) and other technical hurdles such as latency.


    I'm sure others that felt it was a great goal, also chose not to participate for their own reasons- some may even have had similar reasons as mine. Just know it was not a reflection on the job you were doing or necessarily the goals for the project. I wasn't working on it, but I was, and still am, rooting for it.

  • Rich GellesRich Gelles Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Rashad ,
    Do not be too down on yourself. Although it would have been nice to keep the forward motion going --things get in your way. ANd folks understand that --it happens to all of us. I think we can start up again and I think we could use whatever skills you wish to help with as we go forward.

    Mmoir was part of the old start up and so its all good. I was too. I stopped using forum name 3dview awhile now as I wanted to use my real name in forums. So --hey new days ahead. join in the fun.

    There is some stuff over at Carrarators website under movie project. Now you have to sign up for the forum ..its a little tricky but with a little effort you can get signed up and then you can see the whole forum which has this thread called "easy come easy go" --it was the so called "practice" short we were going to use to work on working together, building up skills, and just figuring out how to work out workflow for a larger project. It will also gage interest in community involvement to even try somethng larger.


    And I do have hopes of a larger project down the road. Dare I say a movie short. ---smiles. Just because we fell down once does not mean we can never try again.

    So all you folks who have an interest in learning and practicing your animation skills. Who may have a dream of working on something larger...drop on over to Carrrators.

    We all have so much to learn. 3d animation is just not easy. And factor in everything that is required to make something larger and something cool ...takes lots and lots of folks , time and effort.

    The other big hurddle as we saw before is getting folks onboard to agree to a story and ways of production. It was very hard to be inclusive to anyone and everyone to participate in decisons --I think this time inorder to succeeed we need a be more autocratic and less democratic. At least that ismy read. smiles.

    rich

  • DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 14,598
    edited December 1969

    mmoir said:
    Okay, here is a link to the CarraraCafe user group for this CCMP effort.

    http://carraracafe.com/group?gid=6

    Here are the links where you can download all the assets.

    https://www.box.com/s/hm8lrgqar0n6zywsgny8 watch by 3dage
    https://www.box.com/s/2a8k068637cpw7tk0d8d watch by Roygee
    https://www.box.com/s/luybw7czjejh7puiw8vx Man model with rig attached
    https://www.box.com/s/y3walcf21qd7s08i4so2 Coin by Roygee
    http://carraracafe.com/wp-content/wps-content/forum/888/889/1_realisticterrainfinaltmaps.zip Landscape terrain or Set by mmoir

    When creating your animation of each panel feel free to do what you want , be creative .

    Have fun with this.
    Mike

    Excellent to see this project reinstated.
    Perhaps I'll try my hand at this one.
  • Rich GellesRich Gelles Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Dartanbeck,
    Of course you should. Smiles. Lots to learn for all.

    Rich

  • 0oseven0oseven Posts: 595
    edited December 1969

    Rashad

    The demise of this collaboration project was a strong motivator in forming the new "CarraraTors" just for animators where we see "encouragement' as a key purpose of the site.

    I wrote an article about how "collaboration" might work which to some extent echoes your view about leadership.
    I call leaders "Film Directors" - that is, the person with the vision of the movie and what it should be.

    Your lack of practical skills need not be the reason to give up because the collective skills of your collaborators should see you through with production. Anyhow no one knows it all and these projects are a learning experience for anyone involved.

    -quote rasheed " and secretly, I wish we could try it all over again." Well you can so why not ?

    As long as you feel you have a good story and some idea how it should be produced then fulfill your dream.

    Have a look over at CarraraTors - browse the web, but the forum is where you find collaboration (and my article )
    http://bond3d.wix.com/carrarators

    MMoirs project is also being run there .


    cheers

  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    0oseven said:
    Rashad

    The demise of this collaboration project was a strong motivator in forming the new "CarraraTors" just for animators where we see "encouragement' as a key purpose of the site.

    It was also why I got involved at Cafe. To try to help build a bigger community, and create spaces where longer term projects can develop.

    You lead by example Rashad! :D

  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 806
    edited December 1969

    Rashad ,
    I don't really want to lead this but I do want the community to produce something tangeable. Please by all means participate in this as we will need all the help we can get.


    DUDU_00001,

    This looks hopeful. If you lead the production yourself this might actually stand a chance of being completed! Awesome! Mike!
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,050
    edited December 1969

    0oseven said:
    Rashad

    The demise of this collaboration project was a strong motivator in forming the new "CarraraTors" just for animators where we see "encouragement' as a key purpose of the site.

    It was also why I got involved at Cafe. To try to help build a bigger community, and create spaces where longer term projects can develop.

    You lead by example Rashad! :D

    I say again holly - you should be leading this !

  • wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    bigh said:

    You lead by example Rashad! :D

    I say again holly - you should be leading this !

    ... well, thank you. but my idea for the community video was very "free" and confederate. I was going to just let everyone do what they want whether it fit together or not... I'm afraid my take was very unstructured, so I don't think it really challenged people to organize together on a truly common goal.

  • mmoirmmoir Posts: 806
    edited December 1969

    Holly ,
    This is sort of my take on it as well, just as long as they use the same assets so the animation makes sense. I think each person is free to put their stamp on the Storyboard panel they choose, in doing this I am hoping to get more people involved.

    bigh said:

    You lead by example Rashad! :D

    I say again holly - you should be leading this !

    ... well, thank you. but my idea for the community video was very "free" and confederate. I was going to just let everyone do what they want whether it fit together or not... I'm afraid my take was very unstructured, so I don't think it really challenged people to organize together on a truly common goal.

  • Rich GellesRich Gelles Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    Mike and Holly ,
    I think within certain constraints one can have some openness and free wheeling a bit but ....and big but ---everyone contributing has to use the same assets , same lighting , render parameters,timing etc and has to follow the storyboard with continuity in mind. As example a panel is going to be preceeded by one and one will follow one. If the character is picking up the coin with a right hand .......he needs to be dropping in the pocket with a right hand or show a shift of hands ....or if he is walking on the left side of path he should walk away same side unless a switch is shown. Its this sense continuity that must be kept in mind for all participants who try and do a panel for instance, inorder for it to all fit together. An editor can help make things look like its cohessive but obvious disjointed clips cannot never be edited "right".

    That and there always needs to be a "director " like person ....who keeps up the quality and content used to a certain level. Seeking additional panels as needed. Not using some and basically building up the scenes panel by panel from who ever can contribute.

    Rich

Sign In or Register to comment.