Carrara is dead or Other Program is dead?

edited January 2013 in Carrara Discussion

Carrara is dead or Other Program is dead?

Hello..
I am beginners 3D.
I am in Northeast Asians.
What is DAZ 3D's official position or roadmap?

Bryce, DAZ Studio, Hexagon is Free. Is it a dead? or not?
Carrara is no Free alone. Carrara is dead???

Now..
DAZ 3D sell the contents.
Who Do you think, Which program did survive to the end?
DAZ Studio?

I like Carrara.
So I decided to learn Carrara for this year alone.
My decision is right?
Other Program is all Free.
But Carrara is not.
Why?

Thank you.

Post edited by tnehsdl78_33c8082c4c on

Comments

• larsmidnattlarsmidnatt Posts: 4,511
    edited January 2013

Daz studio isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It's the flagship here. Daz studio being free is what helps sell the models and other goodies Daz offers.

Hexagon probably won't get much updating anytime soon, but it gives Daz users another tool.

Bryce is about the same.

Carrara is the premium upgrade for folks who use DS and Hexagon but want even more functionality. Carrara is also good for people who don't want anything to do with the "dollhouse" and use it for other productions. So that's why it's not free. Carrara development is slow though. No one knows for certain when 8.5 will be finished.

Since daz just had a promotion for Carrara I wouldn't call it dead.

I don't think Daz has a public roadmap. They like secrecy.

Your choice to learn Carrara is a good one. You can do things in there you can't do in Daz Studio, Bryce or hexagon. And you can keep using Carrara for a long time if you choose. Even if they never updated it again.

When it no longer runs on your computer in 5 or 10 years you can transfer the knowledge you gained from Carrara to a different software. Sure the interfaces won't be the same, but many of the concepts will be familiar and you will be able to learn a new software very quickly. If that ever becomes needed.

Post edited by larsmidnatt on
  • edited December 1969

Thank you very much for your advice.
    I decided to study Carrara.

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

PEGACON said:
    Thank you very much for your advice.
    I decided to study Carrara.

That's not a bad choice. Don't let these forums dissuade you -- we often get into arguments along these very same lines. No matter what DAZ's actual plans for Carrara are; you won't go wrong by studying it. You'll be able to eventually produce some amazing art.