PLEASE HELP! My Library palette has disappeared in PP12!

GregoriusGregorius Posts: 397
edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

After recently replacing the McAfee anti-virus software that came with my new computer with Norton 360, I had cause to reboot the machine. When I ran Poser Pro 2012, I noticed a blank white space where the Library palette should be. Selecting Library in the Windows pull-down menu failed, and restarting the program yielded the same result. Uninstalling, rebooting, and then reinstalling did not work either. Setting my Norton firewall to allow both Poser and AIR (LSMGUIAIR.exe) access to the Internet did not solve the problem either. The issue persisted in Windows diagnostic mode and after I had disabled all non-Microsoft services via Msconfig as well (except for Norton, which kept automatically re-enabling itself).

Poser worked perfectly on my new machine until the installation of Norton, which curiously never created any problems on my old computer. Is it possible that Poser is somehow still asking for permission from McAffee and not finding it or something?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

The Poser library is more or less an internet browser...and as such suffers all sorts of problems at the hands of AVs. Both Norton and McAfee are notoriously difficult to remove...and swapping between them has more than once been the cause of complete reinstall of Windows.

Pull the network connection to your machine, reboot. Uninstall Norton. Reboot. Then while still not connected, try Poser...

If it still doesn't work, reisntall McAfee...while disconnected. Reboot at least once after that, then DISABLE McAfee and uninstall, again...then reboot, at least once before installing Norton...again. Then, only after Norton has been completely reinstalled, connect.

You can skip the McAfee reinstall if you grab the utility from here...

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331 (it's about halfway down the page...MCPR.exe...follow the directions on the page).

There's also a removal tool for Norton...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/norton-support/jsp/help-solutions.jsp?docid=20080710133834EN&product=home&pvid=f-home&version=1

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

How did you uninstall McAfee? They have a removal tool on their site to make sure it gets uninstalled completely.

If you temporarily disable Norton, does it work?

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,383
    edited December 1969

I got away from Norton because to cause to many of my programs to stop working. I now use MS Security Essentials. But, as Mike said I'd try disabling Norton and trying. The allowing programs section in Norton never worked for me. The only way I was able to get my software to work was to completely remove everything Norton.

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited January 2013

Frank0314 said:
    I got away from Norton because to cause to many of my programs to stop working. I now use MS Security Essentials. But, as Mike said I'd try disabling Norton and trying. The allowing programs section in Norton never worked for me. The only way I was able to get my software to work was to completely remove everything Norton.

And one of the easiest ways I know to really break things...switch between McAfee and Norton.

The 'war' between those two has been going on for nearly 20 yrs now, and no end in sight. Those two apps lay waste to more installs of Windows than the threats they are supposedly protecting from.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

And McAfee argues with things like Spybot and adaware as well.

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    edited March 2013

I encountered this problem several months ago, and I hoovered the web for days looking for a solution. I no longer have a link to the original article, but here's what I ended up having to do.... (And the good news is that you don't have to disable/uninstall anything!)

Make sure Poser is not running.

Fire up Internet Explorer (yeah, I know, but bear with me here....)

Go to 'Tools' (click that little gear-looking icon).

Select 'Internet options'.

Select the 'Connections' tab, then click the 'LAN settings' button.

In the 'Automatic configuration' group, note the state of the 'Automatically detect settings' checkbox. If the checkbox is set (i.e., has a check-mark in it), clear it.

Click 'OK' repeatedly to close all of the dialogs. You can even close IE if you want to. (And why would you not!?)

Launch Poser. The Library palette should be back.

The earlier poster was a little more than half-correct when they said that the library palette is sort of a 'mini-browser'. It is, in the sense that it relies on the Adobe Flash Player to operate. (I have no clue why; those guys are obviously on something, and apparently, whatever it is, it's weapons-grade!)

As has also been mentioned, I also resorted to the 'kill the network connection' approach, and Poser worked perfectly in that situation. But that really wasn't an optimal solution: disable network, run Poser, realize you need to refer to something on the 'net, exit Poser, reconnect network, Google whatever, download whatever you Googled, kill the network connection again, restart Poser, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera (with apologies to Rodgers and Hammerstein).... Um..., no.

This solved the problem for me; I just hope it does for you, too.

Post edited by Ken OBanion on
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,785
    edited March 2013

I don't use Norton, but did you try this?

https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20100320035324EN_EndUserProfile_en_us

EDIT: and make sure you follow the link at the bottom if it doesn't work; there's an update to install...

Post edited by WandW on
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

I just installed PP12 and the updates ... and then the library section required that "Flash" be installed before it would work. Installed Flash [for the umpteenth time] and now it works fine.

And W7's firewall security also offered to block PP12 for a couple of sections.

edited December 1969

If you use the external library in PP2012, Flash is not needed...

edited December 1969

WandW said:

I'm new to this ... when I first installed it, the Library part was separate. After the update it was internal. As I had changed nothing I thought that was part of the update. Hope I understand correctly that there's an option to open it separate then, somewhere. I rather liked that.

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

WandW said:

I'm new to this ... when I first installed it, the Library part was separate. After the update it was internal. As I had changed nothing I thought that was part of the update. Hope I understand correctly that there's an option to open it separate then, somewhere. I rather liked that.

In PP12, go to Edit menu > General Preferences > Library tab, and select "External" under Launch Behavior. Then close Poser and run it again.

edited December 1969

WandW said:

In PP12, go to Edit menu > General Preferences > Library tab, and select "External" under Launch Behavior. Then close Poser and run it again.

Thank you, will do that. :-)

• Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    edited December 1969

Just in case somebody else encounters this problem....

This situation happened to me again, but my usual way of dealing with it did not work. And there was a reason for that.

In this case, the problem turned out to be Internet Explorer itself. As we all know (having learned it the hard way, naturally), Poser's Library palette uses various functions of Microsoft's Internet Explorer (it's called 'code re-use', and it's generally a good thing). Whether or not you use Internet Explorer doesn't matter; Poser does. And that is the problem.

I made the mistake of turning Automatic Updates on for my copy of Windows 7. Well, one of those updates was Internet Explorer; it brought my web browser up to version 11.

Don't go there, people. IE 11 is crap. (I had problems with it at work, too.) If you suddenly lose your libraries in any version of Poser (8 and beyond), odds are that your computer updated Internet Explorer to version 11, and anything that uses IE for anything (like Poser) will break. If that happens, the first (and probably only) thing you need to do is back IE down to version 9. That solved my problems.

Just an FYI.

• DifferentlyAliveDifferentlyAlive Posts: 38
    edited December 1969

Thank you all for the tips! Had same issues and could not figure it out.

- Frank

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943
    edited December 1969

Poser 9 has a new service release 3.2 to work with IE11
    http://poser.smithmicro.com/poser9-updates.html

edited December 1969

Because I run Poser 8 and there is no SM fix for this version, I ran the fix issued by MS

http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=40722

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Because I run Poser 8 and there is no SM fix for this version, I ran the fix issued by MS

Thanks Chohole :-)

• Mr SprocketsMr Sprockets Posts: 10
    edited December 2013

Installed IE11 via windows update on 12/26/2012 and my Poser pro 2012 library palette disappeared, i had a white out window where the Library palett normally sits. Glad i googgled this issue and came here for info.
    Thanks to all of you who posted replies to this problem because i simply uninstalled the IE11 update and I have my library back!.
    And thanks for the links to updates for poser via the Poser website because i just realized there are new updates for my Poser pro 2012.

Included is a screenshot representing the way Poser pro screen appeared.

Poser_pro_screenshot2.jpg
    900 x 563 - 147K
    Post edited by Mr Sprockets on
    edited December 1969

This has been caused by the IE 11 update.

As I posted earlier in this thread you can solve this by removing the update to IE 11, or by running the Fix that Microsoft have made availalble which stops IE being updated when the MS auto updates run.

I do believe that for Poser 2012 that Smith Micro have also offered a fix of their own, to make Poser work properly again. You will need to download this from their site.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    This has been caused by the IE 11 update.

As I posted earlier in this thread you can solve this by removing the update to IE 11, or by running the Fix that Microsoft have made availalble which stops IE being updated when the MS auto updates run.

I do believe that for Poser 2012 that Smith Micro have also offered a fix of their own, to make Poser work properly again. You will need to download this from their site.

There is indeed...

http://poser.smithmicro.com/pro2012-updates.html

• BardBard Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Hey all I'm Brad
    new to the forum.
    I have had the problem with the P8 library and so I ordered 10. Is it OK or am I going to have the same problems?

edited March 2015

Hi Brad,
    If you are taling about the Library problem related to the new version of IE, yes, it does fix it, but you will need to install the latest service release. If you are bying it on disk, you should install Poser, then download and install the latest SR before running Poser. You will need your serial number to get the update...

http://my.smithmicro.com/poser-10-updates.html

If you are buying a downloadable version, it should be the latest SR...

Post edited by WandW on
  • BardBard Posts: 2
    edited December 1969

Thank you WandW. I did order the disc and it should be here Friday