Off-topic post; created something I'm proud of, not 3D but I thought folk here might like...

Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 232
edited December 1969 in The Commons

Here's a link; I wrote a piano piece entitled Time of Mourning.

Background for those who want it; In July 2012 I got into a college to study music theory and composition; the four year, part-time course was due to start in September. As the course was subsidised by a local authority it then fell victim to their spending cuts and was cancelled, yet another victim of the recession. I contacted one of the tutors, determined to start my studies now, not next year, and asked for some advice. He gave me a reading list which he said I could use to teach myself at home and which would take about four years to complete. He also gave me both of his 'phone numbers in case I get stuck, which was very generous; free help! So I am studying at home, working quite hard at times in between all the other things I am doing.

The rest of the information relevant to the tune is in my description. If you like it look for the download link and you can add it to your iPod or other MP3 player.

Comments

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,786
    edited December 1969

very melancholy and moving

• The DigiVaultThe DigiVault Posts: 438
    edited December 1969

Beautiful....

• GeroblueJimGeroblueJim Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thank you. Well done.

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

Very beautiful...

• trilltrill Posts: 43
    edited December 1969

An Excellent piece Fire Angel. The title perfectly matches the melody. Thanks for sharing.

• Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 232
    edited December 1969

Thanks for listening everyone, it's a pleasure to share this one. As my studies continue each piece of music seems better than the last most of the time, and this piano piece has been a most notable jump forwards in my work. I hope it continues; happy new year to everyone.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

This is really nice; I especially enjoyed the contrapuntal work. Your studies are clearly paying off; keep up the good work. What did you use to record it? (As an aside, if you need any tips you can't find in your books, drop me a PM; I've been doing music for a very long time.)

• Fire AngelFire Angel Posts: 232
    edited December 1969

riftwitch said:
    This is really nice; I especially enjoyed the contrapuntal work. Your studies are clearly paying off; keep up the good work. What did you use to record it? (As an aside, if you need any tips you can't find in your books, drop me a PM; I've been doing music for a very long time.)

It was composed in GarageBand like all my solo piano pieces at the moment. I use Logic for things that are more complex - like full orchestral arrangements - as Logic has much greater capabilities. Time of Mourning was composed in the editor and then the notes were individually tweaked for velocity (how hard the keys are hit) and timing to make it sound as if it were played by a pianist rather than composed on software. By shifting notes forward or back by a few milliseconds you remove the computerised regularity, and by changing individual note strengths you can emphasise notes the way a pianist does. I also use timing in the way that pianists do, shifting notes to be emphasised forwards slightly (lengthening them) and others back a little (shortening them). In addition to careful editing I remove the standard GarageBand echo and reverb and use the plug-in AU-Matrix Reverb, which gives a much better result.

The piano is a virtual instrument I bought as an add-on for GarageBand and Logic (it works in both). It was created by using sampling techniques from a real Steinway model D.

When people with years of piano experience complimented me on my piano playing on MacJams I knew I was doing a good job of the editing. I used to explain that I can't actually play a note, but I've given up now as it's boring explaining this over and over and people don't really care how you produced it if they like the track.

Thanks for the offer of help; if I get stuck and the music teacher isn't answering his phone I may contact you.

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    edited December 1969

riftwitch said:

It was composed in GarageBand like all my solo piano pieces at the moment. I use Logic for things that are more complex - like full orchestral arrangements - as Logic has much greater capabilities. Time of Mourning was composed in the editor and then the notes were individually tweaked for velocity (how hard the keys are hit) and timing to make it sound as if it were played by a pianist rather than composed on software. By shifting notes forward or back by a few milliseconds you remove the computerised regularity, and by changing individual note strengths you can emphasise notes the way a pianist does. I also use timing in the way that pianists do, shifting notes to be emphasised forwards slightly (lengthening them) and others back a little (shortening them). In addition to careful editing I remove the standard GarageBand echo and reverb and use the plug-in AU-Matrix Reverb, which gives a much better result.

The piano is a virtual instrument I bought as an add-on for GarageBand and Logic (it works in both). It was created by using sampling techniques from a real Steinway model D.

When people with years of piano experience complimented me on my piano playing on MacJams I knew I was doing a good job of the editing. I used to explain that I can't actually play a note, but I've given up now as it's boring explaining this over and over and people don't really care how you produced it if they like the track.

Thanks for the offer of help; if I get stuck and the music teacher isn't answering his phone I may contact you.

It really sounded like you had played it on a keyboard controller; your editing had me fooled. I usually do my initial recordings with a controller, but I wind up doing a lot of editing afterword.

Trying to explain to some people that you can't play and still make nice music is like me trying to explain that I can't draw or paint, but can still do some pictures with Studio. I've quit trying to explain things too.

• PennamePenname Posts: 343
    edited December 1969

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing with us.