I have a question about Iray and graphics cards..

trdtrd Posts: 7

I use a 680 classified and I'm looking to upgrade. Also I have a question about Iray and it's settings.

1) I'm going to upgrade to a GTX 1000 Series. I want to know if buying 2 1070's or 1 1080 gtx would be better for rendering.

2) I set Daz Studio to render using only my 680 classified but notice that even with that setting my CPU is being used as well. Could someone explain why this is happening?

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong category or if this question has been asked before (which i'm sure it has) but I couldn't find the answer I was looking for with google search.

Comments

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited January 2017

2 x 1070's will give you 8 GB GDDR5 in which to fit your scene. Each card has 8 GB, but  memory isn't additive in Iray. There are 1920 CUDA cores on each card, and they are additive, so you get 3840 CUDA cores to work with. Each card is rated at 150 watts, so two running full tilt could draw 300 watts, and generate a corresponding amount of heat. You need good cooling and a robust power supply.

1 x 1080 will also give you 8 GB GDDR5 in which to fit your scene. There are 2560 CUDA cores on the card, so the two 1070's have this beat. The 1080 has a faster memory clock, more memory bandwidth and a faster core speed than the 1070's, so there is some advantage to the 1080 there. The 1080 draws up to 180 watts, so will use less power and produce less heat than the two 1070's.

In terms of render speed, I would bet my money on the two 1070's owing to the greater number of CUDA cores. If you can find benchmarks anywhere comparing the combinations, that would help. However, since two 1070's are also going to cost you more than one 1080, that may be the deciding factor (between 20 to 30% more for the 1070's).

Post edited by SixDs on
  • TooncesToonces Posts: 919

2) You can go to Help > Troubleshoot > View log file. After a render has started, the log file will show you if the scene exceeded the video card's memory. If it did, it'll use the CPU regardless of whether or not you have CPU selected in render settings.

• trdtrd Posts: 7

Thank you both for your time!

• gixerpgixerp Posts: 38
    edited January 2017

Hiya . . . up until a few months ago I read that the 1080 wasnt supported by Daz/Iray (dont know about the 1070).. . .  maybe thats changed now ??

Best to double check Iray & Daz support them before buying

Post edited by gixerp on
  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 4,075
    gixerp said:

Hiya . . . up until a few months ago I read that the 1080 wasnt supported by Daz/Iray (dont know about the 1070).. . .  maybe thats changed now ??

Best to double check Iray & Daz support them before buying

Both supported in the current release.