Will's Freebies

Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

I decided this had broaded in scope from original thread ( www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/106626/will-timmins-procedural-shaders ), so here's a list of freebie stuff I've made:

https://www.sharecg.com/v/86001/view/7/Material-and-Shader/WTP2-Will-Timmins-Perlin-Shaders-for-Iray

Some new procedural shaders for 3DL, including Normal2, which mixes two sets of colors (with maps) based on Normal (top/bottom of shape), sand and snow covered stuff for geoshells: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/803826/WT3 Shaders.zip

Very much a work in progress, as there are obvious gaps and things to work on and no documentation, but I figured I'd throw it out there. It's not THAT complicated. Note that, due to a passing interest, most of the shaders wrangle with transparencies/refractive stuff.

Blank Figures Iray: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/803826/Blank Figures Iray.zip

Another new thing, these are four Material presets (found under My DAZ 3D Library/Materials, if you plopped it in the right folder). There are two (Blank Genesis2 Light and Blank Genesis Light) which will replace a figure's materials with a set of materials with no image maps (NONE). The other two do the same thing, but only for mouth materials.

Why?

Iray is extremely sensitive to texture load, and if you go over your card's limit, welp, things sloooooow down. So it can be important to get rid of every texture you can.

For figures at medium to long range, the first presets can erase all the details you aren't going to see. At closer range, there are still potentially dozens of different maps for teeth on a bunch of figures... none of whom have open mouths! So, zap zap zap zap.

If you want even more savings, you can set Thin Shell: On and set Translucency to 0.

That should cover most of it.

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

A note about using the WTP shaders.

The shaders tend to have a bunch of extra channels. You really want to filter by group or types.

That is, if you have WTP ColorBump, there are two sets of extra noise parameters, one for Base Color and the other for Bump.

If you want to look at the Base Color parameters, type in 'base color' in the filter. Similarly for bump.

Now, if you want to make sure the two (or more) sets 'line up', you can filter for some of their common terms, like: threshold, tiling, billow.

You can get interesting effects if the threshold of effects is offset slightly, so that there is a color spot and, a small distance within each, there's a pit or raised pattern.

Ok, well, I can't for the life of me find good code in MDL to do an edge detection-based dirt/exposed corner shader.

However, you can fake something in the vicinity of it with WTP Base ColorBump Normals. This is normally used for snowcaps, but it has the ability to pick up on Normals from all directions.

The trick to a good dirt layer is to set Normal X Y Z (that is, the degree to which each axis' normal is considered) to .3 or so, and set Normal on Both Sides to On (and possibly invert, depending on how you want the dirt to lay).

I'll be including a few presets with my next WTP pack (which is in the works).

Here are two examples.

Cube with worn edges.png
    1080 x 1080 - 1M
    Crawler dirt comparison.png
    874 x 1080 - 2M
  • DollyGirlDollyGirl Posts: 2,646

Will, what a nice shader your WTP Base Color Bump Normals shader is. I alway think most 3D renders, mine included are just to clean and pristine. Thanks for the shader.

My current pack (in sig) has a few presets for dirt and grime, but they are strictly randomly distributed.

Coming soon, also, are Worley shaders.

Worley makes noise patterns that have more apparent structure than Perlin, often cell-like. The code available in Daz Studio is limited to UV map-based stuff, however, so you do have to be mindful of material boundaries.

In this example, I had to carefully scale the face and lips at 4x the size of the structure of everything else. There is a line between head/torso/limbs transitions, but it's very hard to see.

This will also function as scales for dragons and similar, though again I worry about transitions between material zones.

Transformation.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M

Ha ha, cracked the code... now have a shader that mostly reacts to edge stuff. Perfect for grunge. (Will be in WTP3 release)

This image, the robot has a brushed steel shader (Mec4D) and nothing else. Then an Iray Decal with a corner-based rust shader.

Rust ASN.png
    668 x 1080 - 1M
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

looks good

Here's something that might be useful for droplets on a window or similar.

Method:

Create Geoshell 1, apply WTP Bump to it. You may want to set visibility off on some zones, depending on the effect (like eyes/eyelashes/whatever)

Set Bump to a value of -1, threshold to 1 - .4, Levels to 2. Adjust tiling until the bumps look proper for the scale of the object. Set Refraction Index to 1.33 (or higher if it's a difference substance), set Refraction Weight to 1, set Thin Shell to Off

Create Geoshell 2. Make sure Offset is slightly higher than that of Geoshell 1. Apply WTP Bump to it.

Select one of Geoshell 1's surfaces (if it has more than one), copy. Select all of Geoshell 2, paste.

Change Bump strength on Geoshell to +1.

Geoshell 2 is essentially acting like the 'top' surface of a ball of water, while Geoshell 1 is acting like the 'bottom.' You don't strictly have to have Geoshell 1; the normal droplet layer is essentially just a top layer.

But I find it creates a more believable droplet, and may be more appropriate for other situations.

There isn't a good way to keep the area between droplets 'dry,' unfortunately; if you use Cutout, it suppresses volumetric effects and the droplets look much less realistic.

Droplets on Alfred.png
    1080 x 1080 - 1M
  • nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

Method:

Create Geoshell 1, apply WTP Bump to it. You may want to set visibility off on some zones, depending on the effect (like eyes/eyelashes/whatever)

Set Bump to a value of -1, threshold to 1 - .4, Levels to 2. Adjust tiling until the bumps look proper for the scale of the object. Set Refraction Index to 1.33 (or higher if it's a difference substance), set Refraction Weight to 1, set Thin Shell to Off

Create Geoshell 2. Make sure Offset is slightly higher than that of Geoshell 1. Apply WTP Bump to it.

Select one of Geoshell 1's surfaces (if it has more than one), copy. Select all of Geoshell 2, paste.

Geoshell 2 is essentially acting like the 'top' surface of a ball of water, while Geoshell 1 is acting like the 'bottom.' You don't strictly have to have Geoshell 1; the normal droplet layer is essentially just a top layer.

But I find it creates a more believable droplet, and may be more appropriate for other situations.

There isn't a good way to keep the area between droplets 'dry,' unfortunately; if you use Cutout, it suppresses volumetric effects and the droplets look much less realistic.

Ah, thanks. I was wondering how to do that on a car too.

edited January 2017

Man. New stuff is really exciting.

Here's one of a set of Worley-based shaders, using Worley for color and displacement to make a fairly random blobby thingie.

It's a plane primitive with 128 segments, and a big pile of subd. That said, Iray can tolerate a lot of geometry, and the image rendered in maybe a minute or two.

Bumply plane.png
    1080 x 1080 - 715K
    Post edited by Oso3D on

Another thing I'm surprised nobody's bothered to do much with is procedural bricks. The brick brick (heh) is pretty straight-forward.

So, hey, if you feel like building something or revamping stuff, here you go. Note that if you go with displacement, you need a robust mesh to work with (I use Cubes with 128 and displacement subd of about 3).

The ground is another Worley displacement.

Stones and brick.png
    2160 x 2160 - 5M

Perlin displacement/refraction.

The rock has refrection weight in the valleys. The shader has refraction roughness and then a point light in the middle, which glows through.

Lava ball.png
    2160 x 2160 - 5M

Here's some Worley fun. I find the patterns Worley noise makes to be really fascinating.

In both cases, I used the same approach as the previous; there is refraction weight in the 'valleys' through which a point light glows.

The first looks like an 80s album cover, if you ask me...

Glowing techno.png
    2160 x 2160 - 2M
    Glowing blobby.png
    2160 x 2160 - 2M

On the cool side, this is a simple plane primitive with a texture!

On the not as cool side, it's such a hefty texture it renders about 1/10 as fast as my usual renders.

Still, neat looking, IMO

Electric City.png
    2160 x 2160 - 8M

Every time I work on a big render, particularly 3dl architecture, I find myself thankful to have procedural stuff to slash texture bloat.

Been working on Moonshines Diner, and ... first attempt, render went to pot fast.

Went through, replaced nearly everything with procedural shaders (or, in a number of cases, simply deleted maps), and bam... now running fast.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Method:

Excellent! I'm looking forward to trying this out! :D

Thank you for the tutorial! 

Coming soon, also, are Worley shaders.

Worley makes noise patterns that have more apparent structure than Perlin, often cell-like. The code available in Daz Studio is limited to UV map-based stuff, however, so you do have to be mindful of material boundaries.

In this example, I had to carefully scale the face and lips at 4x the size of the structure of everything else. There is a line between head/torso/limbs transitions, but it's very hard to see.

This will also function as scales for dragons and similar, though again I worry about transitions between material zones.

I don't really know what Worley shaders are, but they sound great! I'm looking forward to them! 

I can definitely always use more shaders to create more diverse surfaces. :)

Perlin noise is basically like clouds. Lumpy, or stretched, but clouds.

Worley noise is patterned, and often looks like cells or woogy blocks.

edited January 2017

What you've created here with the Worley shaders looks AMAZING! 

And the lava rock ball looks so cool too!

I hope we'll get these as shaders - they look incredible! 

Post edited by 3Diva on

So Perlin is more organic and Worley tends to be more structured? 

Yes, I've been making presets of all the cool results.

And as for organic... sorta? Worley can look a lot like cells, depending on setting.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,687
    edited January 2017

Method:

Sure there is:  contrive a negative displacement value for them and poke both of the Geoshells down into the parent mesh. 

Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on

It's Bump, not Displacement, so all that will do is hide both geoshells.

If you use a Displacement shader, that then creates a demand for a VERY high count mesh, which is impractical for most things. And even at fairly high subd or similar, pulling in the shells really highlights the edges of the polygons.

• hphoenixhphoenix Posts: 1,335
    edited January 2017

So Perlin is more organic and Worley tends to be more structured? 

Perlin, Worley, Flake and Flow are the four that MDL has native support for (and have bricks in Shader Mixer, except maybe flake?  Don't remember seeing that one.)

These are 2D Noise functions.  The different types generate different noise images.  Each one has various parameters, some of which are the same, but each has some particular settings of its own.

Perlin Noise in MDL:  http://www.migenius.com/doc/realityserver/latest/resources/general/iray/mdl/base_module/index.html#perlin_noise_texture

Worley Noise in MDL:  http://www.migenius.com/doc/realityserver/latest/resources/general/iray/mdl/base_module/index.html#worley_noise_texture

Flow Noise in MDL:  http://www.migenius.com/doc/realityserver/latest/resources/general/iray/mdl/base_module/index.html#flow_noise_texture

Flake noise isn't one I'm very familiar with, but they list it too:  http://www.migenius.com/doc/realityserver/latest/resources/general/iray/mdl/base_module/index.html#flake_noise_texture

Perlin Example

Worley Example:

Flow Example: (not a very good one)

Flake Noise:

These are just the noise functions that have been implemented inside of Iray directly.  It is possible to apply other operations to them, or to write your own noise functions (there are LOTS of them already out there.)

As you can see from the links above, there are quite a few parameters which can significantly affect the appearance.  Perlin alone can look like the example image, or like clouds, or have other appearances, depending on turbulence, octaves, and other parameters.

Post edited by hphoenix on

I'll note that Flake is a little redundant, given Worley (at least one of the three bricks that generate Worley noise, ??) has a few settings that will produce essentially that look.

Also, note that metallic flakes are often like that, if you up the size enough. (Good for tin buckets!)

• jag11jag11 Posts: 885

Your lava ball is awesome, could you please share the settings.

edited January 2017

The Lava ball uses a new shader I'm working on, part of an upcoming (free) pack.

More Perlin shaders, including displacement, plus Worley and some Brick options.

Post edited by Oso3D on

I thought it was the one on volume 2, thanks, Will, I'll wait(even if I can't).wink

Saludos.

edited January 2017

The one in Vol2 only has Bump, so any shape of terrain has to come from the actual object. The new one, Craggy Cracked Lava, uses actual displacement. But it requires a decently dense mesh to work with.

Well, if you really want it now, here's the preset.

Place it on something with a decent mesh, and then place a point light under/in it. Adjust temperature and brightness of the light to suit.

Most of the relevant characteristics can be filtered by Refraction (for the stuff affecting what bits are transparent) and Displace (for the, well, displacement). Displace Factor is how much it's displaced, Displace threshold flatten top or bottom values, and so on. Note that regular displacement has to be On, so you should throw some random image into it, set it to 1. Also max/minimum displacement should be at least +10/-10 -- those characteristics tell the renderer roughly the scale of displacement.

duf
    duf
    Craggy cracked lava.duf
    Post edited by Oso3D on

Thanks, Will, I already downloaded, I'll test it right away.