3Delight / Iray compatibility

WolpiWolpi Posts: 323

How do I know if an item does work properly with 3Delight still?

Sometimes you find notifications as

"optimized for Iray" or "DAZ Studio Iray Presets" or both "Presets for 3Delight and Iray"

and sometimes you find no herof notification at all.

In a concrete case I wish to know if this might work fine with 3Delight:

http://www.daz3d.com/contemporary-reading-lounge

Comments

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384
    edited January 2017

In the case of the product you have mentioned, you will notice in the main promo image, and most of the others, a small logo in the lower left hand corner indicating that the renders were done in Iray.

As for other products, if the product predates DAZ Studio 4.8 it is unlikely that it will have dedicated Iray shaders and probably won't even mention it. Other products may specifically state that they have 3Delight shaders, and if Iray shaders are not specifically mentioned, you may safely assume that they do not have them. In either case, that does not necessarily mean that they will not work with Iray, as DAZ Studio will autoconvert 3Delight shaders to Iray versions at render time if Iray is chosen as the render engine. The effectiveness of this autoconversion may vary depending upon the product, but it does work. Where one desires a more Iray specific shaders for such products, there is always the option of customizing them oneself, or, sometimes, others may have already done so and shared their settings.

Some older products have been updated with Iray shaders and offered as supplemental product updates. If a product states that it uses Iray shaders and does not mention 3Delight, it is reasonable to assume that it contains only Iray materials. There is no autoconvert to change Iray shaders to 3Delight shaders, but one user has made a script that will do this for you if you wish.

In the end, if there is no reference to dedicated Iray shaders you may assume that any recent product does not have them, and the same for 3Delight shaders.

Post edited by SixDs on
  • srieschsriesch Posts: 4,241

Also, at least for shaders, keep an eye out for the little ball logo that started getting used for Iray products.  Presumably if you see that it will be an Iray product (although you still don't know if you don't see it of course, and that's not a guarantee, but it's a quick handy visual tool if you are just scanning store thumbnails.)

• EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 578

If I might, the free IrayTo3Delight conversion script may be of some help. 

End shameless self-promotion

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

Yes, I alluded to that in my post, Esemwy, and should have provided a link, but you have now completed that omission. So, no self-promotion involved. smiley

• WolpiWolpi Posts: 323

Thank you all very much for your advices.

Your mentioned hints make sense and I will heed them. Nevertheless I know examples for Iray-affine items without explicit 3Delight presets or maps which work fantastic except a few negligible objects in the scene, appearing white and need a texture to be attached manually. (such as http://www.daz3d.com/i13-spa-and-lounge-environment-with-poses)

After all it seems to be a question of trial and error and it's a pity when one doesn't dare a purchase because of that. It might help to contact the creator. Regrettably this is not easy here, isn't it? Customers' reviews would be helpful also. Or a note: impeccably/restrictedly works with 3Delight.

As far as I know there are many users like me who hesitate to work with Iray for any reasons.