Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

chohole; very nice like your special effects ...how did you do that??

I bought Ron's digital energy when it was on sale at one time because as well as brushes it also has some PSDs with it, that I can use in my old version of PS. I selected 2 or 3 of them, squidged them a bit as they are rather large and then used them as layers in PS I used layer style "screen" and then faded than to about 60%

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited March 2013

@ Bullit: Several things spring to mind.
    Transferring stuff into Bryce has always been a bit hit and miss.
    Stuff that for one reason and an another Bryce doesn't like and that you need to fix every time are things like the transparency (in this case, the eyes of the cat, where you will have to select each eye's outer component and either choose a glass from the material presets [standard glass usually works for me] or simply 'hide' or delete that component). Another thing is bump mapping, which you will have to set (Bryce will import the correct bump map pic and even put a blob in the bump channel in the Mat Lab, but it re-sets the value to 0).
    As for the overall skin/fur texture, it looks to me like you may have selected the whole cat and than entered the Mat Lab as it's UV map looks like it's applied incorrectly. To fix that you may need to delete the model and re-start Bryce, then re-import it. When you have it back in, render it at low settings before you do anything to it, just to check that the UV is applied correctly. Then when you need to enter the Mat Lab, make sure you only have components selected that use the same map and the same settings.
    Or you could select all the parts where the skin/fur is the same (usually excluding the eyes and claws or any of the components that use a different UV or Bump map) and in the Mat Lab, make sure the mapping mode is Parametric. This can take a while as each body part that can be posed in Daz Studio will be a separate component in Bryce, but if you do it that way, it's also helpful for you later, to assign all of the skin/fur parts to a single Family as you select them and give that family a unique name, so that if you need to tweak it in any way, you can use the family selection option and that will enable you to selected all those components in one click.

Otherwise, if it's the Daz bridge that's causing the faults, sorry I can't help as I have never crossed that bridge. :-)

Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Gonna send it back, I ordered the Pink.
    :)

Dragon1.jpg
    500 x 500 - 308K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:

good one :lol:

• M1chaelFrankM1chaelFrank Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

A little something to push Spring along a bit faster...

BFLU1z.jpg
    1250 x 1000 - 303K
  • Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Wonderful as always Michael... Makes my 'spring-like' render look shabby.

In my defence, this is all about the fence, which I'm making for a fence product that my Building and DIY products client is launching soon.
    When I'd done the fence, I figured I may as well make something more pretty and post it... so I guess we can call this a Fence Post. :-)

FenceIvy2.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 491K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Nice snowdrops ringing in the spring Michael.

Nice fence Dave, shame I can't say the same about the pun. :coolgrin:

edited December 1969

Wonderful as always Michael... Makes my 'spring-like' render look shabby.

In my defence, this is all about the fence, which I'm making for a fence product that my Building and DIY products client is launching soon.
    When I'd done the fence, I figured I may as well make something more pretty and post it... so I guess we can call this a Fence Post. :-)

I like your "fence post" a great deal. Not shabby at all!

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Nice snowdrops ringing in the spring Michael.

Nice fence Dave, shame I can't say the same about the pun. :coolgrin:

Thanks very much!

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,140
    edited December 1969

@Pam - beautiful render, almost like a painting.

bigh said:
    3 1413 night patrol

Why not 3 14159 night patrol?

@Trish - Studio and Bryce use different material/shader schemes. Sometimes it is better to export as *.obj from Studio and import in Bryce. Adjustments may be needed nevertheless. Dave (TheSavage64) gives very sensible advice.

@StuartB4 - oh, do keep it. It may not be the expected pink, but it is pure gold. Melt it and sell the gold then you'll have the money for the lawer you'll need to sue the company that sent you the wrong one.

@M1chaelFrank - what can I say? Another master piece of yours.

@TheSavage64 - good use of the ivy generator. Very nicely done.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @Pam - beautiful render, almost like a painting.

bigh said:
    3 1413 night patrol

Why not 3 14159 night patrol?

@Trish - Studio and Bryce use different material/shader schemes. Sometimes it is better to export as *.obj from Studio and import in Bryce. Adjustments may be needed nevertheless. Dave (TheSavage64) gives very sensible advice.

@StuartB4 - oh, do keep it. It may not be the expected pink, but it is pure gold. Melt it and sell the gold then you'll have the money for the lawer you'll need to sue the company that sent you the wrong one.

@M1chaelFrank - what can I say? Another master piece of yours.

@TheSavage64 - good use of the ivy generator. Very nicely done.

Thanks very much Horo, I appreciate it!

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited December 1969

Savage; I printed screen so I could re-work lion....by the way nice points on your "fence posts" Ivy is awesome

chohole; thanks for letting me know how you did the effects

stuartB4; I like Horos idea...melt it down....good image with the snake skin

Michael; beautiful flowers nice words

edited December 1969

Savage; I printed screen so I could re-work lion....by the way nice points on your "fence posts" Ivy is awesome

chohole; thanks for letting me know how you did the effects

stuartB4; I like Horos idea...melt it down....good image with the snake skin

Michael; beautiful flowers nice words

Thanks very much!

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

bigh said:
    StuartB4 said:

~ROFLMAO~ :-)

Absolutely gorgeous!! Nice poem too. ;-)

• TLBKlausTLBKlaus Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

@Michael That is very nice work!

Well here's some more of the Black Knight series... I felt that the fantasy genre needed a little color. :D

5 and 6 are "before and after" lol

blackknight6wp.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 687K
    blackknight5wp.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 802K
    blackknight4wp.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 631K
    blackknight3wp.jpg
    1365 x 768 - 583K
    blackknight2wp.jpg
    1368 x 635 - 514K
    edited December 1969

Miss B said:
    bigh said:
    StuartB4 said:

~ROFLMAO~ :-)

Absolutely gorgeous!! Nice poem too. ;-)

Thank you!

edited December 1969

TLBKlaus said:
    @Michael That is very nice work!

Well here's some more of the Black Knight series... I felt that the fantasy genre needed a little color. :D

5 and 6 are "before and after" lol

Thanks, I appreciate it!

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@Stuart: I agree, pink or not, that's a real keeper. The packing material really looks good. Nice work.

@M1chael: Lovely image. A person can almost see the dew on the blades of grass.

@Dave: I don't know about a spring image, but that's a dandy summer image. I'm with Horo, the ivy looks real good on that fence.

@TLBKlaus: Those are really nice images.

This image is, or was, a WIP, a rather old one. Decided to give it another go by adding water, TA lighting and an IBL. My original idea didn't quite work out as planned, but I think it still turned out nice.

Mountain_Terrain_5.png
    810 x 607 - 748K
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @Stuart: I agree, pink or not, that's a real keeper. The packing material really looks good. Nice work.

@M1chael: Lovely image. A person can almost see the dew on the blades of grass.

@Dave: I don't know about a spring image, but that's a dandy summer image. I'm with Horo, the ivy looks real good on that fence.

@TLBKlaus: Those are really nice images.

This image is, or was, a WIP, a rather old one. Decided to give it another go by adding water, TA lighting and an IBL. My original idea didn't quite work out as planned, but I think it still turned out nice.

Thank you Guss, I appreciate it!

• TrishTrish Posts: 2,625
    edited March 2013

TLB Klaus; Your black night series is really neat...you are very good at setting up your scenes alot of action.

Guss; the water is great and I really like the material used for the mts. it goes well with the mood you set up.

Well here is my latest trying to get back into this after my 2 year break I'm not really sure about it so any comments good or bad are welcome ....Trish P.S. Icall it Welcome home my friend

P.S.S. does anyone know where pumeco has been lately???

Welcome_Home_my_friend.jpg
    1492 x 873 - 811K
    Post edited by Trish on
  • MrSilusMrSilus Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

@StuartB4 lol good one! But I don't think the pink one will look good as a mantle piece :)

@M1chaelFrank Very nice! The final render looks very dramatic and cool!

@TheSavage64 Simple makes perfect! The simplicity of a fence covered in ivy is more than enough to get a great scene!

@TLBKlaus Looks good! Now you just have to animate those action scenes :)

@GussNemo It's a good looking traditional landscape. The colors work for a martian kind of landscape! As a suggestion, maybe play a little bit with the field of view for it to look more dramatic

@bullit35744 The composition of the scene is very good, but where are the shadows ? This scene would look even better with gritty lighting conditions and dark shadows!

As for myself, I'm currently rendering the most frustrating Bryce project I have ever done. More to come....

edited December 1969

@bullit35744 regarding "hope", thanks and yeah, maybe the bottle does need to have something else. Maybe a crinkled label...I'll think about it :)

@bigh regarding "night patrol", I like the composition and the model of the car looks great (got it from somewhere else or did you make it ?), but just like bullit35744's render above, I think it would benefit from more dramatic lighting conditions and shadows

• mx42bmx42b Posts: 25
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the nice comments. Anyone else spot the mistake in that last one? I spotted it just after I posted it......

Oh, and this is why you do the inspections..

wrkngZG3.png
    836 x 622 - 2M
    edited December 1969

mx42b said:
    Thank you for the nice comments. Anyone else spot the mistake in that last one? I spotted it just after I posted it......

Oh, and this is why you do the inspections..

you can come back now - you did good

edited December 1969

MrSilus said:
    @bullit35744 regarding "hope", thanks and yeah, maybe the bottle does need to have something else. Maybe a crinkled label...I'll think about it :)

@bigh regarding "night patrol", I like the composition and the model of the car looks great (got it from somewhere else or did you make it ?), but just like bullit35744's render above, I think it would benefit from more dramatic lighting conditions and shadows

model was a free b - thanks for the comment
    the mood was what I was looking for .

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,140
    edited December 1969

@TLBKlaus - all looking very good. I like the second last best, but that's just me,

@GussNemo - nice mountain and water.

@Trish - yes, very nice composition. I would expect some light cast by the torch and candles. I'm with MrSilus here: a darker mood would be probably better. There are no shadows. I think the Sun/Moon Shadows in the sky lab are at or near zero. This is a global setting. If it is set to less than 100, no light casts shadow, no matter how you set it.

@mx42b - looking nice. No, I didn't notice the mistake, but this is always difficult in a partly abstract render.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Right... OK, it's taken evenings to get everything back in order - or at least some sort of order - my HD's being on the fritz something needed doing. That something is now done - mostly. And something else has been done, I've now got a Nvidia GPU installed - which means, I can finally have a play with Octane.

So... baby steps. First up is my Bryce scene,

Render time 1 hour 32 cf Octanes 1 hour 40 render time. So Bryce won that one by eight minutes - but the rendering process varies in a way that Octane looked better sooner but kind of has a law of diminishing returns rendering process. Don't ask me, I've only been using the software for a few hours.

Outputting the HDRI from Bryce to Octane, no problem, just export as Spherical and the jobs a good one. Thank you Horo.

Exporting the objects in the scene as .obj - fine but... the material export is drivel.

Positioning the objects in Octane, horrible - maybe I don't know how - but Bryce is so much nicer in this.

Setting up the materials in Octane - very easy - real time preview means you can just fiddle with sliders till it looks OK. Also, Octane has material options to match and doubtless exceed what I wanted for 7.1 - OK, I don't know where bugtracker is at the moment. That's something I'll have to re-discover. Hard work with a completely flattened PC - so many things to setup.

I don't suppose there's much else to say, other than, looks like I've got a lot of catching up on the forum threads...

Initial impression are that TA is very close to one of Octanes render kernals - pathtracing - but for caustics I used something called pmc which is pathtracing plus something to generate caustics - because pathtracing much like TA is not very good at caustics.

Anyhow, here's my first experiment, perhaps it is slightly controversial to put it in this thread, but if Bryce is to survive I think it is important to explore ways of raising the bar.

Octane_test1.jpg
    1024 x 512 - 112K
    Bryce_scene_export_test1.jpg
    1024 x 512 - 135K
    edited December 1969

@David Wow, the Octane one looks amazing! It's photo-realistic and the extra render time is well worth it (although the fact that it's CUDA based and thus uses the GPU, which is vastly superior in highly parallel tasks than a CPU, also helps)...Would love to see rendering assisted by the GPU in Bryce.....

Regarding caustics, I've seen a few tutorials of yours covering that effect and it looked better than in this one (granted it was a different object with different materials, also under different lighting conditions), but still...this one looks a bit "flat", but it might just be the fact that the Octane one looks so good, that the Bryce one, while decent, is just meh...

• TLBKlausTLBKlaus Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

That Octane render is jaw-dropping in comparison... too bad my old machine can't handle it.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 847
    edited December 1969

Octane makes a marvellous job.

David, may I ask which values you have set for Maximum Ray Depth and TIR for the Bryce 7.1. picture?

This discussion has been closed.