Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

Comments

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Just thought I'd try something using just the light from the background HDR image.
    Not sure how it turned out, sometimes I look at it and like it other times I don't.
    What do you think?.

Cafe_188.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 698K
  • cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    Just thought I'd try something using just the light from the background HDR image.
    Not sure how it turned out, sometimes I look at it and like it other times I don't.
    What do you think?.

Looks like a photo to me! Awesome lighting!

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Stunning Stuart. You should be very happy with that lighting. The HDRI backdrop itself though looks a bit distorted.

Thanks for the file Dwsel - been a hectic day, hopefully I'll get a chance to pick it apart at my leisure soon!

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    What do you think?.

The lighting looks amazing to me... great job.
    Composition and textures look natural and very real too.

Just a very small point; If it was my render, I'd be tempted to add depth of field to throw the background pic into blur because it's quality differs so much from the Bryce objects, so DoF would disguise that to an extent.

edited December 1969

Thank you cjreynolds.

@David-
    Thanks David.

The HDRI backdrop itself though looks a bit distorted.

I thought that was normal, every time I've tried anything with an HDRI as a backdrop, it appears distorted, straight lines appear wavy etc.

@TheSavage64:
    Thanks TheSavage64.

I’d be tempted to add depth of field to throw the background pic into blur

I thought it was a bit to blurred myself. Will try it and see what happens.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:
    What do you think?.

I think it's suitable for framing. That scene would make for a lovely picture on the wall. Much better then engine parts :)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,145
    edited December 1969

As I said at another place, very nice render and I like scenes rendered with natural light. Keith's probes were taken with a mirror ball and this is obvious from the light reflections on the mirror ball - the sun is towards the left above. As for blurring - I'm not sure. It is already blurred. If you want it more blurred, there is a Background DOF control in the IBL tab to match the backdrop DOF with the other DOF. Needs to be rendered premium with DOF.

edited December 1969

StuartB4 said:

@David-
    Thanks David.

The HDRI backdrop itself though looks a bit distorted.

I thought that was normal, every time I've tried anything with an HDRI as a backdrop, it appears distorted, straight lines appear wavy etc.

I know you addressed this to David and surely he and/or Horo could speak to IBL and/or HDRI far better then I. In my limited experience though you want to use the highest resolution possible if you want the HDRI to be your background. If you've bought any of Horo's HDRI's look at them for examples of high resolution some of them go up to 8260 x 4130. That's what you need to make the background look better. Even then though it will still not seem as sharp as a well textured object in the foreground. If you use HDRI's that big it will give you problems and not save right. So what you really need to do is work and save with a lower resolution and only load the high resolution to do renders.

All that being said, I don't mind the way your background turned out, I think it contributes to the ambiance of the scene. Kind of looks almost like the background was done in watercolor paint.

• cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited January 2013

Hello everyone really nice images and some good ideas happening here I see....I have alittle experiment going on with land materials when I put this in Bryce it really didn't come out as detailed as the photo was can I fix this somehow?? Thanks in advance Trish

i didn't tried to use/apply an image texture to a terrain to see how or if it works very well , maybe im not so dedicated to bryce or don't know what all the presets from material lab do, David might have a tutorial how to apply a texture image or how to apply/tweak a material to a terrain.However to be honest i can tell that the default materials from bryce arent excelent or at least requires a high amount of tweaks to get a nice result close to reality .Even if are meant/created to auto-arrange according to height map, the materials ,in many cases doesn't fit very well so again you need to do lots of tweaks spending sometimes hours.Creating landscapes in bryce is a real challenge , many renders i've seen on bryce forum section are based on only objects,props .All 3D apps can't achieve great realistic results, many landscapes have increased the haze sometimes just to mask the imperfections.Another trick is to hide the terrain imperfection in front of a sunset-in this case you might not even need to apply textures/mats to the mountain/terrain .There is a haze sometimes on a landscape in real life too but its not always and not everywhere, and i don't prefer to create "smog valleys" always.The terrains painted in real time in game engines , UDK, Cry engine, Unity,whatever, are more realistic .Wish i could paint textures on terrains in Bryce :-).Bellow is a mountain sculpted in mudbox and controlled-eroded in world machine and i used the mountain for starship troopers scene.The material applied is a default one from bryce, ofc with some adjustments.The terrain with the mountain is 2048.The plain is a waterplane with same material and MORE adjustments..The scenes has the sun set to 191 and the global shadow to 100 :lol:
    tips to hide terrain imperfections :
    -use a powerful sunset
    -take the camera shot from very long distance
    -use haze
    -blur it with depth of field
    -add lens flares in postwork
    -apply a slightly lens distorsion in postwork
    Hope im not wrong , wait for more replies.

Klendathu_for_Bryce_-_angle_3.jpg
    1000 x 722 - 690K
    Klendathu-for-Bryce---angle-4.jpg
    800 x 578 - 305K
    Klendathu-for-Bryce-mountain.jpg
    1000 x 722 - 795K
    Post edited by cris333 on
    edited January 2013

cris333 said:
    Hello everyone really nice images and some good ideas happening here I see....I have alittle experiment going on with land materials when I put this in Bryce it really didn't come out as detailed as the photo was can I fix this somehow?? Thanks in advance Trish

i didn't tried to use/apply an image texture to a terrain to see how or if it works very well , maybe im not so dedicated to bryce or don't know what all the presets from material lab do, David might have a tutorial how to apply a texture image or how to apply/tweak a material to a terrain.However to be honest i can tell that the default materials from bryce arent excelent or at least requires a high amount of tweaks to get a nice result close to reality .Even if are meant/created to auto-arrange according to height map, the materials ,in many cases doesn't fit very well so again you need to do lots of tweaks spending sometimes hours.Creating landscapes in bryce is a real challenge , many renders i've seen on bryce forum section are based on only objects,props .All 3D apps can't achieve great realistic results, many landscapes have increased the haze sometimes just to mask the imperfections.Another trick is to hide the terrain imperfection in front of a sunset-in this case you might not even need to apply textures/mats to the mountain/terrain .There is a haze sometimes on a landscape in real life too but its not always and not everywhere, and i don't prefer to create "smog valleys" always.The terrains painted in real time in game engines , UDK, Cry engine, Unity,whatever, are more realistic .Wish i could paint textures on terrains in Bryce :-).Bellow is a mountain sculpted in mudbox and controlled-eroded in world machine and i used the mountain for starship troopers scene.The material applied is a default one from bryce, ofc with some adjustments.The terrain with the mountain is 2048.The plain is a waterplane with same material and MORE adjustments..The scenes has the sun set to 191 and the global shadow to 100 :lol:
    tips to hide terrain imperfections :
    -use a powerful sunset
    -take the camera shot from very long distance
    -use haze
    -blur it with depth of field
    -add lens flares in postwork
    Hope im not wrong , wait for more replies.

Great renders Cris! Nice choice of colours, terrain shapes, camera angles and lighting.

I would say though, don't use depth of field. Unless you want to "shrink" your mountains. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=tilt+shift&hl=en&safe=off&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=vJ8JUfX-BI_L0AX3moCgDw&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAA&biw=1745&bih=899

That's what happens when "Tilt-shift" is used - which is a sort of extreme DOF effect that works on large objects (an effect that is easy to simulate in Bryce) but... since generally with landscapes you are striving to achieve a sense of scale, using DOF with a landscape is sort of counter productive in my view.

Post edited by David Brinnen on
  • cris333cris333 Posts: 107
    edited January 2013

thank you very much David :) means alot to me . I didn't used DOF (the only Dof i used was on my underwater scene ,focused on first jellyfish) , The mountains are 2048 but i resized them to a very small size.
    When i recommended dof i was thinking to focus it on a tree when the camera angle is from ground but ,oh well like i said i might be wrong and thats why your/Horo/any bryce expert comments are wanted :lol: , to help us improve us our skills.Thank you again and for your link with photo examples :).Seeing the photo examples now i know what you mean and you are right.
    I found also this : http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2008/11/16/beautiful-examples-of-tilt-shift-photography/

Stuart: your render is excellent, close to the evermotion/archmodel scenes from 3ds max , except for the hdri background which is not very good, might be from a low hdri rez.

Post edited by cris333 on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Horo and LordHardDriven. I will have a mess about with it a bit more.

Thanks cris333 your very kind.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@stuart: I think that image looks real enough to be someone's patio. What catches my eye is the brick, and how well it looks. Nicely done.

@cris: Those are nice looking images. I especially like the first one.

edited December 1969

I've been playing with the instancing lab and have already posted one forest scene in the Stonemason Comp thread (regarding god rays).
    So this scene is just a variation of that.
    The trees are all instanced from one master tree built in the tree lab and custom textured using procedurals.

The last minute addition of the deer was done just to give a focal point, but I think it works OK.

Two versions of the same render; The first exported as HDRI, the second just saved as a .tif
    I think the HDR one has a slightly more fairy tail feel to it, but neither were done with photo realism in mind.

Also, this is the first scene I've rendered without using TA for a long time. For some reason the components and lighting just wouldn't give dark enough shadows when using TA, though render times were comparable with TA estimating about 4 hours and the Regular AA render I went for in the end was just over 4 hours (including what seemed like a very long anti-aliasing pass).

DeerSceneAA.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 317K
    DeerSceneHDR.jpg
    1000 x 500 - 322K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Nice...Savage...love also the lighting on the rock to the right.

The Deer/Stag certainly is a good addition and takes away the monotonous look that tree scenes sometimes can give. I would suggest you make him smaller, though, as proportion/perspective-wise, he looks way too big.

Jay

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited January 2013

Jamahoney said:

The Deer/Stag certainly is a good addition and takes away the monotonous look that tree scenes sometimes can give. I would suggest you make him smaller, though, as proportion/perspective-wise, he looks way too big.

Jay

perhaps he is a Megaloceros

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited January 2013

chohole said:
    Jamahoney said:

Jay

perhaps he is a Megaloceros

Haha...true, true: We have the bones of one of these stags in our local museum...and they are simply HUGE. Of course, Savage was intending that the Mega' deer/stag was to be the case...dare I doubt his professionalism ;) Okay, enough of jibes at Savage. It's always easy to make suggestions, isn't it, but how many times has this happened where you end up spending hours on a render/work, then wait several more for it to render out, and then some idiot, like me, comes along and says..oh, btw...it's so and so.

But knowing Savage...I know he understands :)

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
  • eireann.sgeireann.sg Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Seems everyone is progressing, minus me...
    I am still doing ballz.

bloop_104.jpg
    1279 x 719 - 84K
    bloop_102.jpg
    1277 x 718 - 79K
    edited December 1969

I am still doing ballz.

Cute.

• Electro-ElvisElectro-Elvis Posts: 847
    edited December 1969

@eireann: Friendly looking ballz! Very nice. I like them very much. Could become a nice desktop background.

@Savage64: You have made a very good job with IL. IMHO IL works quiet well with trees.

@crisss: I love your starship trooper scene. This movie is well-made, dirty entertainment.

@Stuart What a gorgeous scene, very naturalistic.

@Horo: fish eye is a promising effect

@David: This blurry pictures looks great, though I have to admit, that I did not fully understand, what the clue is behind them. But I think I do not have understand everything ;-), the point is, that the effect looks well.

edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    But knowing Savage...I know he understands :)

Indeed and thanks for your comments. :)

I would say though, that the possibility you didn't mention was that instead of the deer being big, the trees were small.
    If you look at the size of the leaves, you can see the trees aren't giant ones (that's my excuse anyway ;-)).

edited January 2013

Thanks gussnemo.

@Thesavage64: I like the second one although I'm not sure about the tree trunk texture on the
    trees in the foreground.

@eireann.sg:

Don't worry, even after using Bryce for a few years people including myself are still learning.

Thanks electro-elvis.

Post edited by StuartB on
    edited January 2013

Eireann......need to make one of them sad...haha ;)

jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:

jay

They are all sad, they are just putting on brave faces.

edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:

jay

They are all sad, they are just putting on brave faces.

Haha ;)...or...should that be 'pooh, pooh' ;(

edited December 1969

I've been playing with the instancing lab and have already posted one forest scene in the Stonemason Comp thread (regarding god rays).
    So this scene is just a variation of that.
    The trees are all instanced from one master tree built in the tree lab and custom textured using procedurals.

The last minute addition of the deer was done just to give a focal point, but I think it works OK.

Two versions of the same render; The first exported as HDRI, the second just saved as a .tif
    I think the HDR one has a slightly more fairy tail feel to it, but neither were done with photo realism in mind.

Also, this is the first scene I've rendered without using TA for a long time. For some reason the components and lighting just wouldn't give dark enough shadows when using TA, though render times were comparable with TA estimating about 4 hours and the Regular AA render I went for in the end was just over 4 hours (including what seemed like a very long anti-aliasing pass).

Nice, the only criticism I would give is that the ground seems too smooth and clean. In a real forest setting like that you would have all sorts of forest debris and small plants scattered around making the ground more rough and cluttered looking.

edited January 2013

I am still doing ballz.

Yes but at least they are happy ballz :)

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
    edited December 1969

Nice, the only criticism I would give is that the ground seems too smooth and clean. In a real forest setting like that you would have all sorts of forest debris and small plants scattered around making the ground more rough and cluttered looking.

You are of course correct, but I'll leave the vastly populated mega-scenes to Rashad. :-)

Besides, this isn't the real world, it's fairytale world. ;-)

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,145
    edited December 1969

Another fairy tale world. Here in the form of a Mutant Star Dog (not a goat). The camera is inside an object made in Sculptris. The camera looks through the EWL (extreme wide-angle lens - a forthcoming product of David's and myself) creating a diagonal FOV of 300°. Lit by specularity only, which comes from an HDRI inside the object. DOF with 256 rpp.

MutStarDog.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 209K
    edited December 1969

Enough of this fairy tale world stuff.... I wear a leather jacket and have a mohawk... I'm supposed to be tough. :lol:

Here's another Brycified motorbike, imported from Poser as an .obj and all mats re-mapped to procedurals (except the paint bits which were just reflectified and specularised (neither of these are real words, until now).

Just doing another render of it now with an HDR reflection added.

Poser-Chopper.jpg
    640 x 480 - 235K
This discussion has been closed.