How to turn a whole scene continuously?

WolpiWolpi Posts: 323
edited December 1969 in New Users

There is the option to change fix angles of view but
I think there must be the possibility to change the sight of view
or the position of a whole scene stepless.
:grrr:But how?

Comments

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

If I'm understanding you correctly Wolpi, you can parent the whole scene in a Null object, and then you rotate the Null and everything parented to it will turn with it.

I've attached a screenshot of the Null icon below. I'm using DS 4.0 Pro and I've customized where my tool icons appear in the UI, so yours may be located somewhere else.

All you need to do is select every thing you want to move together in your Scene Tab, click on the Null icon, and when the dialog box opens, you can name the Null as you wish, and then click on the Parent Selected Item(s) to Null, and click the Accept button.

Then you would select the Null in your Scene Tab and using the Parameters Tab, you can rotate it as you wish, and everything will move together.

CreateANull.jpg
    336 x 94 - 12K
  • SedorSedor Posts: 1,764
    edited December 1969

Or if you use DS4.5 you select all objects you want to rotate/move and put them into a group (menu create/new group), sometimes I've had problems using a Null as some parented items do rotate when I rotated the Null - but just around their own axis :D

• WolpiWolpi Posts: 323
    edited December 1969

Thank you very much, Miss B and sedor! I will try both ways. But I must say I thought there would be a far more easier way to turn the view of all I can see by scrolling or pushing or moving a tasksymbol ...

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

sedor said:
    Or if you use DS4.5 you select all objects you want to rotate/move and put them into a group (menu create/new group), sometimes I've had problems using a Null as some parented items do rotate when I rotated the Null - but just around their own axis :D

AHA! I use DS 3 Advanced more than DS 4 Pro so hadn't noticed that separate rotation of items in a Null. Hmmm I'm using DS 4.0 rather DS 4.5, so I don't have the "new group" option, but I'll need to make a note of it in case I ever upgrade some time in the future. Thanks for that tidbit. ;-)
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

Wolpi
    Are you talking about rotating for animation or just moving around when setting up a scene?

edited December 1969

Perhaps the solution is so easy that you all don't understand what I mean (by the way: I'm German and not too fit in English).

When I'm creating a character and want to watch it from different angles I use the green slider "rotate". I think, that's not the right way because then I'm changing the position of the figure. I found some fix angles of viewing on the top (right, left, above, ...) but I want to change the point of view stepless sliding. And that's even more difficult if I want to rotate the whole scene or several figures together.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

With any of the Advanced Styles you should have this on your viewport. That will just rotate around your selected item, if no item is selected it will rotate around the World Center.

Capture_Camera.PNG
    229 x 212 - 16K
    edited December 2012

Thanks a lot! But it seems only be working in the cameramodus, not with presets.

Post edited by Wolpi on
  • prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    edited December 1969

Wolpi said:
    Thanks a lot! But it seems only be working in the cameramodus, not with presets.

That's correct. The FRONT, BACK, TOP presets are fixed (zooming/panning only).

Rotation only works with cameras and perspective view.

I spend about 90% of the time in perspective view. :-)

edited December 1969

Don't you think this is an enormous handicap of the program?

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Wolpi said:
    Don't you think this is an enormous handicap of the program?
    No it is common for many programs to have Orthographic cameras. Why can't you use the Perspective camera or load as many cameras in to scene as you like. I don't and never felt it limiting at all.
  • JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Need a TOP View Rotating Camera? Just Make one. It's that easy.

• SedorSedor Posts: 1,764
    edited December 1969

Wolpi said:
    Perhaps the solution is so easy that you all don't understand what I mean (by the way: I'm German and not too fit in English).

When I'm creating a character and want to watch it from different angles I use the green slider "rotate". I think, that's not the right way because then I'm changing the position of the figure. I found some fix angles of viewing on the top (right, left, above, ...) but I want to change the point of view stepless sliding. And that's even more difficult if I want to rotate the whole scene or several figures together.

*dang* okay, totally misunderstood what you wanted to do...

:D Manchmal ist das Naheliegende doch zu weit weg und man denkt viel zu weit/kompliziert :P

edited December 2012

Finally with your help I found the whole solution myself. My problem was much too easy for you to understand it:
    I have to create a camera. Then I can choose it in the view menu. Then I click orbit rotate or drag - hold - drag into the window and move !

Thank you all and sorry that this was a real problem for me.
    :red:

Post edited by Wolpi on