BOSS Pro Light Set for Portraits & Promos [commercial]

Comments

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Looks very good, Ice Dragon! 

And congrats to The Philosopher on the launch! Thank you for letting me test your wonderful product!

• CZCZ Posts: 160

Oh wow! I was thinking about buying this light set, but now, when I see the renders in this thread, I will surely do. The renders look awesome! As I'm mostly doing portraits, I have to grab these lights. They seem to be perfect for that.
    Just one question: Who is the male model in the promos? He looks great! (I hope, it's not just the good lighting. wink)

• SOOOOOLD!

Now I just have to wait a few days for my pokey old machine to finish the current render so I can start playing with these!

• which product did you use for the caucasian male

05-boss-pro-light-set-for-portraits--promos-daz3d.jpg
    1300 x 1300 - 153K
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Thanks nicstt. they did pull it but its fine, I have it over on my Deviant Art account.

Congrats on the launch and I hope they do really well!  I really enjoyed testing these out and think they are amazing.  Hope it was helpful!

• ToyenToyen Posts: 1,863

Interesting light set! I might end up getting it simply because one never has enough light sets :D

And I too must ask, who is the male model used in the promos? : )

• PA_ThePhilosopherPA_ThePhilosopher Posts: 1,039
    edited January 2017

Thanks again guys for all your help and support for this product.  Your encouragement and helpful advice makes it enjoyable to release new products.

Regarding the interest in the male model, he is not a Daz character. It is just a bust I found on another site (also added hair+5' Oclock shadow in zBrush). 

-P

Post edited by PA_ThePhilosopher on
  • MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

Thats a good looking light set Philosophe

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Question: are the spotlights movable at all? (Because I can't re-aim them.) I am trying to render a short young lady and I think most of the lights are missing her. Is putting her on a (virtual) stool the only option?

• Question: are the spotlights movable at all? (Because I can't re-aim them.) I am trying to render a short young lady and I think most of the lights are missing her. Is putting her on a (virtual) stool the only option?

@dreamfarmer

The lights are locked by default. So to move them, you just need to unlock them first (in the parameter tab, untick the little lock icon next to the dial you want to unlock).

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

Yes, found that out.  Not sure why they are locked up but I figured it out myself. 

So here is my render.  It's just a test render for a character I'm creating for Dawn from Hivewire named Tina.  I was having a dickens of a time trying to figure out what was going on with the eyes, they looked flat and too dark.  Turns out my own lighting sucks raw eggs.  I loaded yours in and WOW... amazed at how well the eyes lit up, reflective quality is good and glints are great.  Teeth even shined up a bit.  Skin looks warms and you can see all the pores just fine.  Happy camper.  You touted this for promos, you bet your bippy I'm using these for my promos.  5 stars!  Thanks! 

Different lights Better results.jpg
    1072 x 863 - 566K
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,203

What causes the bad halo behind the hair on the little girl in this promo image? Notice that it is only around the hair. It is not general rim lighting on the character, or anything like that.

Huh. I unlocked the translation dials and I still couldn't move it around. I'll try it from a different angle, though.

Meanwhile: I probably misused the lights horribly, but here's my first render.

Darby Frost Princess-mini.png
    600 x 776 - 976K
  • FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249

What's the diffrence between the Lights and Scripts?

When clicking on the lights, the lights load.

When trying to run the script, nothing seems to happen.

Thank for any help

Screen Shot 2017-01-30 at 9.49.46 PM.png
    393 x 145 - 1M
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,821
    edited January 2017
    barbult said:

What causes the bad halo behind the hair on the little girl in this promo image? Notice that it is only around the hair. It is not general rim lighting on the character, or anything like that.

You probably have a photometric light with shaped geometry (square, disc, etc) as the rim light or a light behind her. Transmaps + shaped geometry on photometric lights + back/rim lighting = hard halo that cuts off abruptly where the edge of the shaped light cuts off. Found that one out the hard way.

Post edited by vwrangler on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,203
    vwrangler said:
    barbult said:

You probably have a photometric light with shaped geometry (square, disc, etc) as the rim light or a light behind her. Transmaps + shaped geometry on photometric lights + back/rim lighting = hard halo that cuts off abruptly where the edge of the shaped light cuts off. Found that one out the hard way.

Thank you. That is a promo iomage from the BOSS light set. I'm wondering if the light set will produce this problem when used.

edited January 2017
    barbult said:

@barbult This is a bug in Daz Studio. Whenever there is a transparent sufrace, hidden spotlights lights appear visible (as vwrangler said, when the spotlights are set to anything other than "point" geometry).... 

FusionLA said:

Thank for any help

@FusionLA

The presets in the STEP 2 folder are simple script files that load 2 DUF files at the same time; a Light Preset and a Subset (in the subfolder in that directory). Normally, you would just ignore the subset files in the subfolder. I have only included them for special cases where you have a pre-existing scene and need to load the light set into it. In this case, you could just load the subset (thus your render/environmental settings will not be changed).

Also, I noticed in your screenshot that both files have been merged together into one folder. This would explain why it is not working for you. The subsets files should be in a subsets subfolder by default. Did you install this through DIM?

edited January 2017

Huh. I unlocked the translation dials and I still couldn't move it around. I'll try it from a different angle, though.

@dreamfarmer

The lighting looks a little too blown out. Double check that you did not load two lights sets into your scene by accident. Note, as I mentioned above for STEP 2, it is important to load the presets in the root folder, not the subsets in the "subsets" subfolder. If you load a subset, it will just load another light set into your scene, thus duplicating all your lights. This would cause the light set to be too bright.

As for the translation dials, untick all 6 locks for X,Y, and Z translation and rotation. This will allow full movement of the lights.

-P

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,985
    edited January 2017

barbult said:

@barbult This is a bug in Daz Studio. Whenever there is a transparent sufrace, hidden spotlights lights appear visible (as vwrangler said, when the spotlights are set to anything other than "point" geometry).... 

FusionLA said:

Thank for any help

@FusionLA

The presets in the STEP 2 folder are simple script files that load 2 DUF files at the same time; a Light Preset and a Subset (in the subfolder in that directory). Normally, you would just ignore the subset files in the subfolder. I have only included them for special cases where you have a pre-existing scene and need to load the light set into it. In this case, you could just load the subset (thus your render/environmental settings will not be changed).

Also, I noticed in your screenshot that both files have been merged together into one folder. This would explain why it is not working for you. The subsets files should be in a subsets subfolder by default. Did you install this through DIM?

That's the way the product looks in Smart Content, the lights and scripts are categorized as Lights>Portrait.  The product should have had a custom categorization under "Light Sets" mimicking the installer product folder structure.... Step 1 - Load Default Light Set, Step 2 - Load light Preset, Step 3 - Backdrop Materials

The scripts aren't working because the DIM/Daz Connect installs into /Light Presets/.  The scripts are hard coded to look for the Light and Phantom-Light files in /Lights/   Since the product has been out a few days before I purchased it, I expected somebody would have submitted a ticket that the Scripts don't work, so I just edited the scripts and changed the file path from /Lights/ to /Lights Presets/ to get them working on my end.

PS: I appreciate the usage notes you put in the Scene tab, and the PDF user guide in the /Readme's/ folder!

Edit: 1/31/2017 - I see the set now has an alternate categorization under "Light Sets".  I think it was a Daz Connect metadata update because it wasn't there when I bought it the other day.

Post edited by Lindsey on
  • RedzRedz Posts: 1,459

I installed via DIM and as you say, the scripts do not appear to do anything, so I'm assuming there is a bug that will need fixing. 

Very nice light set. I'm looking forward to using it. 

• Lindsey said:

That's the way the product looks in Smart Content, the lights and scripts are categorized as Lights>Portrait.  The product should have had a custom categorization under "Light Sets" mimicking the installer product folder structure.... Step 1 - Load Default Light Set, Step 2 - Load light Preset, Step 3 - Backdrop Materials

The scripts aren't working because the DIM/Daz Connect installs into /Light Presets/.  The scripts are hard coded to look for the Light and Phantom-Light files in /Lights/   Since the product has been out a few days before I purchased it, I expected somebody would have submitted a ticket that the Scripts don't work, so I just edited the scripts and changed the file path from /Lights/ to /Lights Presets/ to get them working on my end.

PS: I appreciate the usage notes you put in the Scene tab, and the PDF user guide in the /Readme's/ folder!

@lindsey

Thanks for the heads up about this. I will let the team know and we'll get an update rolled out as soon as possible.

-P

edited January 2017

If you wouldn't mind, can someone also do me a favor and check the "Gamma" setting in the "Image Editor" for the Backdrop material maps? It should be set to 1 by default instead of 0. If not, I will also update this as well.

-P

edited January 2017

If you wouldn't mind, can someone also do me a favor and check the "Gamma" setting in the "Image Editor" for the Backdrop material maps? It should be set to 1 by default instead of 0. If not, I will also update this as well.

-P

In Image Editor,  Image Gamma is set to 1.0

Screen Shot 01-31-17 at 04.38 AM.PNG
    460 x 526 - 46K
    edited January 2017

I updated by original post that there is now an alternate categorization under "Light Sets" patterned after the folder structure. I believe it was added via DAZ Connect metadata update. 

Edit: I re-installed via Daz Connect and the scripts still need fixing..

edited January 2017

UPDATE: I just submitted an update that corrects the broken scripts (I also made a couple minor revisions based on the suggestions I received from my beta testers).

I expect this update to roll through pretty quickly. Thanks @Redz @dreamfarmer @Lindsey @FusionLA and everyone for all your patience,

-P

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I'm really glad that everyone seems to be enjoying these light sets. I think you guys are really going to find them amazing.

UPDATE: I just submitted an update that corrects the broken scripts (I also made a couple minor revisions based on the suggestions I received from my beta testers).

I expect this update to roll through pretty quickly. Thanks @Redz @dreamfarmer @Lindsey @FusionLA and everyone for all your patience,

-P

I neglected to mention the Scene file: BOSS PLS Light Set FULL SET has a Render Settings>NVIDIA Iray>Progressive Rendering>Max Samples set to 100.  The default setting is 5000 samples.

• FusionLAFusionLA Posts: 249

-P

I tried installing first with connect and I installed and reinstalled with DIM. Same issue with both install methods.

Your welcome, and thank you for the fast response to fix the issue!

• Thanks again guys for all your help and support for this product.  Your encouragement and helpful advice makes it enjoyable to release new products.

Regarding the interest in the male model, he is not a Daz character. It is just a bust I found on another site (also added hair+5' Oclock shadow in zBrush). 

-P

Darn! I really liked how that guy looked as well. I actually bought the promo lights (excited to use them), but wanted to know who he was so I came in here. :(

Jason

@dreamfarmer

The lighting looks a little too blown out. Double check that you did not load two lights sets into your scene by accident. Note, as I mentioned above for STEP 2, it is important to load the presets in the root folder, not the subsets in the "subsets" subfolder. If you load a subset, it will just load another light set into your scene, thus duplicating all your lights. This would cause the light set to be too bright.

As for the translation dials, untick all 6 locks for X,Y, and Z translation and rotation. This will allow full movement of the lights.

-P

I did have two sets of lights, but I deleted one of 'em! I interpreted 'step 2' as, well, the next step I should take, originally. And I might have had too many lights left on; I had a little trouble interpreting your shorthand. And I was using NGS 2 on a G2 skin.... Her forehead and her neck are a bit bright but my theory is that because she's not in a default pose and I hadn't learned how to move the lights at that point....