Putting sky

Can you put a sky in the dome without affecting the HDRI lights?

Comments

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,989

If you are talking about the "normal" skydomes that come with 3DL content, they will block the light from a HDRI.

I'm not sure what effect you want to achieve, but if it's "just" about getting clouds in the sky, I can recommend this set: http://www.daz3d.com/skies-of-iradiance-high-sky-hdri-bundle-for-iray

Another option are the Flipmode's easy Environments. http://www.daz3d.com/flipmode

Finally, you can convert the skydome to an Iray emissive, and put the diffuse map into both the emissive slot, and the diffuse slot. You'll have to crank up the lumiance quite a bit then to get light, though.

• BeeMKay said:

If you are talking about the "normal" skydomes that come with 3DL content, they will block the light from a HDRI.

I'm not sure what effect you want to achieve, but if it's "just" about getting clouds in the sky, I can recommend this set: http://www.daz3d.com/skies-of-iradiance-high-sky-hdri-bundle-for-iray

Another option are the Flipmode's easy Environments. http://www.daz3d.com/flipmode

Finally, you can convert the skydome to an Iray emissive, and put the diffuse map into both the emissive slot, and the diffuse slot. You'll have to crank up the lumiance quite a bit then to get light, though.

Like when I'm using the iradiance light probe by dimension  there's no clouds and sky, that as why I want to be able to put a sky and clouds without changing or affecting the iradiance lighhtrolm probe. How do you do that?

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,569

HDRIs are images and as long as you have the "draw dome" button on in the render settings, you should see what is on the HDRI in the background

• unknownmystery445unknownmystery445 Posts: 414
    edited January 2017

HDRIs are images and as long as you have the "draw dome" button on in the render settings, you should see what is on the HDRI in the background

The iradiance light probe doesn't have any skies, it's just plain colors. It's not the sky iradiance.

Post edited by unknownmystery445 on
  • Render with 'Draw Dome' off - save as a .png (to keep the transparent area where the sky should be) - add a background with sky in GIMP/PS as a new layer under the main one.

• Render with 'Draw Dome' off - save as a .png (to keep the transparent area where the sky should be) - add a background with sky in GIMP/PS as a new layer under the main one.

Ooh, alright thanks for that! :)

no problem - I use this method all the time, as getting the right sky in scene while also using an HDRI is tricky.  Learn to use layers in GIMP/PS and you can save yourself a lot of work (e.g. final render a bit dark?  Duplicate the layer in GIMP and set the blend mode to 'screen' - this doubles the light - then adjust opacity down to reduce the effect).

• unknownmystery445unknownmystery445 Posts: 414
    edited January 2017

Silent Winter said:

Render with 'Draw Dome' off - save as a .png (to keep the transparent area where the sky should be) - add a background with sky in GIMP/PS as a new layer under the main one.

no problem - I use this method all the time, as getting the right sky in scene while also using an HDRI is tricky.  Learn to use layers in GIMP/PS and you can save yourself a lot of work (e.g. final render a bit dark?  Duplicate the layer in GIMP and set the blend mode to 'screen' - this doubles the light - then adjust opacity down to reduce the effect).

I hope you can share more tips and tricks in using photoshop in Daz renders, it'll help a lot of people :) also by the way where do you get your sky photos? Just google?

Post edited by unknownmystery445 on
  • Silent Winter said:

Render with 'Draw Dome' off - save as a .png (to keep the transparent area where the sky should be) - add a background with sky in GIMP/PS as a new layer under the main one.

I hope you can share more tips and tricks in using photoshop in Daz renders, it'll help a lot of people :) also by the way where do you get your sky photos? Just google?

no - then you'll run into copyright issues.  If an image is licensed for use in personal/commercial renders then it's ok.  Some public domain images might work.

I've picked up a few in various sets over the years, plus taken my own photos of skies/backgrounds.

• Silent Winter said:

no - then you'll run into copyright issues.  If an image is licensed for use in personal/commercial renders then it's ok.  Some public domain images might work.

I've picked up a few in various sets over the years, plus taken my own photos of skies/backgrounds.

Why do I see a lot of photo compositions on the internet wherein they just use photos from Google? And they're not being charged for it? I've seen tutorials in photoshop where they just took photos from Google?

• Silent Winter said:

Why do I see a lot of photo compositions on the internet wherein they just use photos from Google? And they're not being charged for it? I've seen tutorials in photoshop where they just took photos from Google?

They're in breach of copyright if they use a copyrighted image without permission.  Search for public domain images (as they're not owned by anybody)

• nemesis10nemesis10 Posts: 3,268

Silent Winter said:

They're in breach of copyright if they use a copyrighted image without permission.  Search for public domain images (as they're not owned by anybody)

Theyt are in breach of copyright.  

• nemesis10 said:

Silent Winter said:

Theyt are in breach of copyright.  

?? did you mean to type more?

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459

I recommend pixabay.com for royalty free public domain images. Lots of beautiful skies there. And as long as there are no people or brands in the photos you should be fine from a legal point of view. 

• PlantPlant Posts: 107

you can put a backdrop image in window-panes(tabs)-Enviroment and still use the hdri light