Hoping to find an answer

I started out with this scene that's on the right. I saved it because I wanted to work on it a little more....opened it up a couple of weeks later and it rendered black (except for sky) as shown on the left. I hadn't touched it since I saved and closed it down. I have no clue why it's rendering this way...so I'm hoping someone may have a suggestion on how to correct this. 

skullmountain4b.jpg
1854 x 1500 - 814K

Comments

• You're missing lights.  There are a couple of possible causes.  You may have changed from 3Dlight to IRAY as the rendering engine, or you may have saved as a scene subset rather than a scene.  I suspect you changed the rendering engine sometime during the period when you last opened that scene and if you switch it back the scene will render.  Lighting for one doesn't always work for the other.

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,327
    edited January 2017

Are you using different render settings?  For example originally set up in iRay and now trying to render in 3DL or vice versa.

Have you recently upgraded DS?

Post edited by Charlie Judge on
  • I'm using Dimension Theory's Skies of iRadiance for lights. I had it set to Iray before I saved...I've never used 3Delight. I double checked again today and it is still Iray. 

The attached image was compiled at least a month ago....I just upgraded DS yesterday and it's still rendering like this. LOL I was really liking the way this was coming along up until now. LOL

• Does DS have a way to delete all lights and start all over? 

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited January 2017

Is the Skies of Irradiance product a sky dome? If so, try deleting it and reload. A lot of times I'll be baffled when I load an older Stonemason set and it renders black until it hits me that most of his sets have sky domes. LOL If it's not a sky dome, make sure your render settings are Dome and Scene and not Scene only.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Just curious - did you install the new update to Daz Studio? I'm curious if that perhaps reset or changed your settings in some way. 

• show us a screen shot of your scene and your render settings (particularly the environment tab of render settings), and we might be able to help a bit better

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459
    edited January 2017

Is the dome turned on to visible in the Render settings environment, and the scene set to render as dome and scene? The settings could have defaulted to dome off. 

Post edited by Redz on
  • AllenArt said:

Is the Skies of Irradiance product a sky dome? If so, try deleting it and reload. A lot of times I'll be baffled when I load an older Stonemason set and it renders black until it hits me that most of his sets have sky domes. LOL If it's not a sky dome, make sure your render settings are Dome and Scene and not Scene only.

Laurie

Skies of Iradiance for Iray are HDRIs.

• @AllenArt Skies of Iradiance I believe is for the DS Environment. Forgive me...I'm still quite a Newbie so not familiar with all the terms. I've checked for a skydome as I'm working with TerraDome...I could still be missing it but will check again. 

@divamakeup The attached image was from about a month ago. I did upgrade DS just yesterday and I'm still getting the 

@Redz Everything was on when I checked it....I tried with dome and scene as well as Sky-Sky Only. Same result. :( 

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306
    edited January 2017

@AllenArt Skies of Iradiance I believe is for the DS Environment. Forgive me...I'm still quite a Newbie so not familiar with all the terms. I've checked for a skydome as I'm working with TerraDome...I could still be missing it but will check again. 

@divamakeup The attached image was from about a month ago. I did upgrade DS just yesterday and I'm still getting the 

@Redz Everything was on when I checked it....I tried with dome and scene as well as Sky-Sky Only. Same result. :( 

When you say Sun-Sky gives the same result, you mean the main part is all black? The sky would not appear the same if you rendered using Sun-Sky, as the HDRI is not rendered.

Check you tone mapping settings to see if everything is default there, and also check the Environment Intensity, since this renders black if it has been set to 0 for some reason.

Failing that try and reapply the sky of iradiance preset you were using, as this will reset a lot of the render settings.

Post edited by Havos on
  • ARGH! LOL! @Havos I was checking the tone mapping settings. I hit the "Default" button no knowing if it was going to reset just the tone mapping or everything. I think it reset everything. ROFL Because I have to reset my camera settings....BUT....everything is rendering except the sky (which is transparent). I reapplied the iRadiance lighting and it's all good. 

I still have NO idea why it was rendering black...and I wish I knew...but it's rendering again. Thanks everyone! 

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,313

Does DS have a way to delete all lights and start all over? 

Yes Edit>Delete>Delete all lights

but this doesn't recognise mesh lights or emissive surfaces.

• scorpio said:

Does DS have a way to delete all lights and start all over? 

Yes Edit>Delete>Delete all lights

but this doesn't recognise mesh lights or emissive surfaces.

Thank you very much, scorpio! Still learning my way around. Notation on the mesh and emissive surfaces. Thank you! 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

If you just upgraded yesterday you should check your  drivers for your video card.  If you have a nvidea card you will need the latest driver for Iray to work correctly Studio.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

You don't necessarily need the latest Nvidia driver, just one that supports CUDA 8. I think anything from 372.XX on will work. I have 372.90 and it works with no issue.