GeForce Now

bytescapesbytescapes Posts: 1,807
edited January 2017 in Daz Studio Discussion

NVIDIA has announced a service called GeForce NOW which, in their words, "transforms your Mac or PC into a high-performance gaming PC by connecting them to blazing-fast GeForce GTX 1080 gaming PCs hosted in the cloud". I'm a little surprised that they think they can deliver acceptable framerates for gaming over an Internet connection, but I guess it's not much different from streaming hi-res video.

What I do wonder is whether this could be made to work with DAZ Studio, to give users on low-end machines access to a high-end GPU. Their blurb says "... load the GeForce NOW app and install your favorite Steam, Origin, Uplay, GOG or Battle.net games, that you own, onto your virtual GeForce NOW GeForce GTX 1080 PC ... Alternatively, install games that use a dedicated launcher ... and play with and against other gamers, all via the cloud." It's not clear to me whether this means that only specific games (and only games) would work, or whether you could theoretically run any app that makes use of a high-end graphics card, such as DAZ Studio.

Of course, at $25 for 20 hours, your DAZ habit would get a lot more expensive. But it might be an interesting option for people who, for whatever reason, aren't yet ready to buy a dedicated box for their Iray rendering.

Post edited by bytescapes on

Comments

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455

This is interesting, I don't see why technically speaking their virtual game PC couldn't be used for other apps.  Of course for rendering, access to a virtual PC with multiple GTX1080 cards would be nice, or access to a Grid computing platform/rendering farm.  Hopefully the gaming community can help drive down the $1.25/hr cost for us. If you have tried animating, access to an affordable render farm would be a welcome option.

Their website says:

" The only requirement is a 25 Mbps or faster internet connection and a Mac or Windows PC."

"You can install up to 1TB of games, which are stored on the virtual GeForce gaming PC."

• DigiDotzDigiDotz Posts: 508

Cool if its cheaper than amazon workspaces gpu offering -and workspaces only has a 4gb card.

• linvanchenelinvanchene Posts: 1,337
    edited January 2017

edit: removed more general information about limitations of streaming apps over the cloud

reason: at current point in time it is to early to estimate which if they will also apply in this specific case.

Post edited by linvanchene on
  • It only works with the applications that they've made available ATM.  This is NOT a general purpose VM.  They are concentrating on Steam, Origin, etc.

Kendall

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455
    edited January 2017

Yes, not true VM but interesting to note that the game sites do offer a number of graphic software titles,  including Blender.  Will be curious to see if they allow these titles to be loaded onto the Virtual Game PC or games only.

Here is a bit more from nVidia:

HOW ARE GAMES INSTALLED?
    Games are downloaded and installed from game store platforms. You must log into these store platforms to verify game ownership before downloading. You must also accept any license agreements that are part of the normal download and install experience set by the publisher.
    HOW ARE GAME STORE PLATFORMS INSTALLED?
    You can select major game store platforms like Steam, Origin, Uplay, GOG, and Battle.net from a list to download and install onto your virtual GeForce gaming PC. You will also need to accept any license agreements, just like you would on any PC.

Post edited by FirePro9 on
  • From the information I have is that any app from the accepted sites can be installed, HOWEVER, the emphasis on the emulation software is for games and not production applications.  So it should be possible to install something like modo 10 indie from Steam (assuming your license allows multi-site) but nVidia is not guaranteeing that non-game software will work fully.  Also, the emphasis on GeForce Now is in the transferral of the screen graphics to the endpoint, not in high-performance local processing.  Using the CUDA's for rendering may not return the same performance as gaming shows.  No one knows as of yet how non-game software performs on the platform and nVidia isn't sanguine about non-gaming on GN ATM.

Kendall

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,676

Last one I read put canada as worse internet than US, my personal experience matches that. Internet costs 4 times as much up here than it did in the sticks of NY, but is half as fast, and also there is a bandwidth usage limit on top of that, in NY internet usage was unlimited.

• thd777thd777 Posts: 932
    TheKD said:

Last one I read put canada as worse internet than US, my personal experience matches that. Internet costs 4 times as much up here than it did in the sticks of NY, but is half as fast, and also there is a bandwidth usage limit on top of that, in NY internet usage was unlimited.

I guess it depends on where you are in Canada? I am in southern Ontario (KW area) and I have unlimited usage with Rogers. It is also consistently very fast in my opinion (116.4 Mbps download and 10.6 Mbps upload). Mind you, it is not cheap but well worth it to me.

Ciao

TD