Site Logs me out every few days even though i checked the KEEP me logged box

Anyone else get this?  It's been just like a week or less and it logs me out. i use Firefox. I don't knowwhat could be causing it.

Comments

• It happens to a few people - been that way for some time - no idea how to fix it.

One thing - if you make a purchase, then the forum logs you out and in again when you revisit, but I don't know if that's related to the general log-out that you're experiencing.

• macleanmaclean Posts: 2,438

It's been like this since ever we got the new forums. We've been told it's a random glitch, therefore hard to track down, but there seems to be no progress whatsoever in fixing it.

Sometimes I have to log in 3-4 times a week, other times once a week. There's no telling when it will strike.

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

I believe it is much more likely to strike if your ip address changes for any reason. If you are on the move with a laptop, so your ip is frequently changing, being logged out happens more often.

• HeraHera Posts: 1,952

Happens to me all the time, I think it's because I'm on various WiFi's all the time, so the cookie don't recognize used IP adresses or smth.

• nokoteb99nokoteb99 Posts: 931

well i'm on a tower Pc with cable internet no wifi.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,604

If you managed to stay logged in for a week you're doing a lot better than me. I'm lucky to get more than two days. It happens on my desktop and my laptop, the laptop is on wifi and the desktop has an ethernet cable to the router. Most sites use cookies to keep track of logins, if Daz is the same then changing ip addresses shouldn't have any effect.

I've also noticed an old problem come back again. Sometimes I get the tick by the little person icon that should mean I'm logged in, but I'm not. This problem went away a few months ago but seems to be back now.

• Happens to me so often (just did again right now) that I'm surprised when it *does* log in properly. smiley

I've come to think of that checkbox as the "Keep Logging Me Out" option.

• McGyverMcGyver Posts: 7,005
    edited January 2017
    nokoteb99 said:

Anyone else get this?  It's been just like a week or less and it logs me out. i use Firefox. I don't knowwhat could be causing it.

Yes... Continually. It's an ongoing issue I've had for years.

I don't recall if it was an issue for others too, but the even old site (before DAZ moved from Draper UT) never let me stay logged in... The "Keep me logged in" box was like a cruel joke, mocking my constant naive attempts to check it until I just learned to ignore it.

I've made numerous jokes about it, but it gets super annoying at times... Just this summer it would log me out while I would be reading or writing something... It did that for a few weeks and it is an off and on thing with some stretches being worse then others...

In fact at one point about two or three years ago I pretty much stopped visiting the forums and DAZ for about a year because it was so frustrating it was basically useless to me.

I couldn't finish a post and if I tried to attach an image it would instantly log me out, randomly it kicked me out to my account page... You name it, it occurred. I took to writing out posts or replies in TextEdit (I was on a Mac back then) and copying and pasting... But that would often require several attempts as it would log me out before I could hit "post"... Then one day I was trying to make a thread for one of my freebies and it just wouldn't let me do a damn thing... I got close, but when I was about to post it kicked me out and dumped me on the main forum page... I slammed my mouse down on the desk so hard I detached the board and optical sensor and crushed the scroll wheel and buttons... I came this close (I'm making the "teeny-weeny" gesture with my thumb and pointer finger) to smashing or throwing what was left of it into the monitor... So I took a deep breath and went outside (where it landed after I threw it out the door, into the garage wall) and stomped on the now defunct mouse (I never liked it anyway... It was like a pinkish red... Nothing a malcontent Barbarian would ever use)... Went out and bought a new mouse, came back and said "I'm outta here till this nonsense is done with"... Not that anyone noticed and apparently the world went on quite well with out me here, but I felt a lot better and I didn't smash any mice for for quite a while (although I did evict some from a box in my garage... Very cute, but they peed everywhere and had a little poop mountain on top of the carburetor in there, so they had to go)...(FYI- WD-40 is great for removing petrified mouse feces from cast aluminum)... 

But I digress... Yes, I still get this problem but overall I just learned to smash and care less.

I visit and participate at many sites, this is the only one that has ever really given me problems... It could be that it's some magic combination of technical events, or the Pharo's curse from that mummy I desecrated, but either way... Your not alone.

Post edited by McGyver on
  • maybe the person at daz in charge of  hamsters isn't changing them out often enough and only sprang for the no frills wheel instead of the extra fancy kia soul looking ones, hamster's be quite finicky when it comes to thier excercise equipment or randomly go on a short lived labor strike and before they get found out their back on the wheel or maybe they decide just to for go the hamsters and went with bargain bin gremlins instead never realizing how mischievous they are with the electronics. but it stikes me every so often I switch from satellite connection to landline it don't log me out but leaving as one or the other it randomly hits.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

It happens all the time on my phone. So frustrating. Especially since my phone input screen is so tiny 

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001

Part of it is by design!

If you are switching devices...you will be logged out on one and logged in on the other.  Then when go to the other device, you'll get logged out on the first when you log in on the second.  So if you are constantly flipping between phone, laptop and desktop, that's the bulk of why.

Doing certain things in the store side of the site logs you out of the forums...

Changing your IP will cause it...in other words, if you have a dynamic IP, expect it.

Rebooting/restarting your computer, having 'local' time on your computer more than a few minutes out of sync with the site/cloud servers will cause it, too.

• pdspds Posts: 593

It happens all the time on my phone. So frustrating. Especially since my phone input screen is so tiny 

ditto. I end up having to re-log in in at least once a day from my phone.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,839

me too

assume due to using iPad as well as desktop

other sites do not have this issue though, Just DAZ.

been signed into some for months!

• frank0314frank0314 Posts: 13,395

I stay logged in unless I haven't visited the site in a couple days then it logs me out.

me too

assume due to using iPad as well as desktop

other sites do not have this issue though, Just DAZ.

been signed into some for months!

Actually, lots of sites do the same thing...just that a lot of them do it silently. 

• FistyFisty Posts: 3,416

One computer, hard wired to the router, static IP, get logged out any time I turn the machine off.

Fisty said:

One computer, hard wired to the router, static IP, get logged out any time I turn the machine off.

Yep.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Been happening forever. :D I ALWAYS get logged out of the forums after I have made a purchase too. 

jakiblue said:

Been happening forever. :D I ALWAYS get logged out of the forums after I have made a purchase too. 

That is by design and the intended behavior!!!!!

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Why? 

mjc1016 said:
    jakiblue said:

That is by design and the intended behavior!!!!!

If I remember correctly...not sure exactly when the thread was with the full explanation, but it was around the changeover to the current software being used...it something along the lines that the store and forums are separate and that log out/login keeps that separation,

• BarzoffBarzoff Posts: 97

I had that problem as well for years. Oddly, it got fixed when I became member of the Platinum Club Plus.laugh

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

When I make a purchase it logs me out when I go to the forums but then it turns around and logs me back in.

• BejaymacBejaymac Posts: 1,846

It's been a problem with this site for as long as I've been coming here, so it's not anything new.

For as long as I can remember DAZ have always used store and forum software from different companies, which means there is two separate account systems, with the store software running the log in for both, so whenever it loses your cookies it kicks you out of both account systems.

On the old forum software we could at least access the forums own log in system, it's own cookies weren't affected by the stores, so if the store lost your log in it didn't matter as you were still logged into the forums.

• mjc1016 said:

If I remember correctly...not sure exactly when the thread was with the full explanation, but it was around the changeover to the current software being used...it something along the lines that the store and forums are separate and that log out/login keeps that separation,

If the store and forums are separate, what you do in one should have no effect at all on the other.

• mjc1016 said:

If the store and forums are separate, what you do in one should have no effect at all on the other.

The forum account derives from the store account - it needs to know current PC+ membership, for example, and gets your username from the store account settings