moving content from DS 3 folders to DS 4.5 folders ?

GeroblueJimGeroblueJim Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in New Users

I wanted to make sure I just copy the folders over before I did it. Or should I use another method like reinstall ?

Thanks !

Comments

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

I wanted to make sure I just copy the folders over before I did it. Or should I use another method like reinstall ?

Thanks !

There is no need to move any folders if you don't want to. I still have all of my DS3 content installed in the same folders, and I have told DS 4.5 where they are in the Content Manager in Preferences (F2). That way they still show up in the Content Library pane, and I can tell the difference between new and old content.

If your DS3 content is in a Content folder, and you want to move the contents to the My Library folder, then on a PC simply merge the content of the Content folder with the contents of the My Library folder. My Library is the new (DS4) name for the Content folder

• GeroblueJimGeroblueJim Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks. I'll look around in there.

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Yes, I did the same as Jimmy. I set DS 4 to look for the Content folder of my DS 3 installation. That way I can keep DS 4 for Genesis only products.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Is my way also.

• islandgurl31islandgurl31 Posts: 250
    edited December 1969

I was also wondering the same thing. I would like to move my DS3 content that is in my documents into the DS4 My Library :-). The reason I would like to do this is because I am running out of space on my C: Drive. I just don't have the funds atm to get another Internal Drive or External Drive.

If I can just merge my DS3 Content with my DS4 Content is there any pitfalls to watch out for as I just got done reinstalling and organizing my content the way I want it?My Poser Content goes into C:\DAZ Runtimes while the DS Specific content goes into The Documents Folder. Thank you for your patience and guidance :-)!

edited December 1969

If you are moving all of your DS3 Content to another dirive, there is no real reason to merge it with the DS4 'My Library' folder, you can still keep it seperate if you want to. Just move it to a new location on amy drive, and tell DS4 where to find it in Preferences (Content Manager), DS can read DS content or Runtime libraries on external HDDs with no problems.

The one thing to look out for, is the 'data' folder in your DS3 setup. This folder holds all of the geometry files, and other files, that a DS3 Scene file needs to open correctly. If the data folder is not carried over along with the 'Content' folder, then you will get errors when trying to open previously saved Scene files. Just check to see if there is a folder called 'data' in the folder you are moving, and also check in the folder just above Content as well.

That is the only problem I can think of at the moment. Lots of people are trying out the new DAZ Install Manager, which will make downloading and installing content a lot simpler, but organising content takes time and patience. If you need more info, just post again.

edited December 1969

Thank you Jimmy :-). Got the DIM....going through the uninstall process atm so I can starting using it....starting fresh I guess...lol. They would have to come out with the DIM right after I had reinstalled and organized my content...sigh...lol. Thank you for the quick reply :-). What I actulally want is just one DAZ Studio on my C drive instead of two as I am running out of space until I can afford a bigger External drive....grrrr.

If I am understanding you right.... I can just merge my DS3 data and content in My Documents Folder with my DS4 Content in the My Documents Folder?

I have a 2 1TB External Drive, but one is my backup drive and the other is my hubby's backup drive so I can't use those atm :-(. Thank you again for the quick reply and take care :-)!!

edited December 1969

If I am understanding you right…. I can just merge my DS3 data and content in My Documents Folder with my DS4 Content in the My Documents Folder?

Yes, that should work. Merging the data folders should work as long as the folder holding the data folder is listed as a DS Formats folder (which it will be anyway). When trying to load saved scenes, that is when there may be some errors if the data folder is not in the right place, but that can be sorted out. Just make sure that you backup the data folder before moving it anyway.
    edited December 1969

Thank you Jimmy :-). Oh yea I am a backup fool...lol. I backup before I start moving stuff around that way if something goes wrong I can put it all back together :-). Shoot I backup basically the AppData,My Documents,ProgramData,Program Files,and my DAZRuntime Folder...for my 3D stuff! Learned my lesson a long time ago to backup backup.....everything has to be organized in folders so that I can stuff....couldn't stand looking for hours trying to find something...lol.

Thank you again and take care :-).