Iray Ghost Light Kit

Comments

• KindredArtsKindredArts Posts: 1,185
    kyoto kid said:

...from the promos it looks very good.  Hoping to see more results (maybe a Ghost Lights Render Thread?).  On the wishlist for now as am broke until "next year". 

Good thinking! I'll get a hold of richard and ask where i can put one up.

marble said:
    marble said:

I have the lights in my cart but waited a while before buying to see if anyone has used them. Probably 90% of my scenes are interior and I have had a long running battle trying to light them adequately in the restricted space available. I have tried using the dome and leaving off walls an roofs/ceilings but that's not ideal. I have made emissive planes too but this set seems to add convenience so I'll probably buy. I hope this thread gathers more opinions, however. I can't try them myself because my PC is being shipped to my new home and is still a few weeks away from delivery.

Absolutely, i'd rather have cautious customers than inevitable refunds - By all means, wait until some feedback rolls in. The majority of the scenes i play around with are interior sets, and i've been tackling the same issues as yourself. I tried removing walls, removing the ceiling, setting the ceiling to emissive, hiding meshlights/photometrics out of shot, and much ... much more. I'm not trying to market this as a magic bullet to everyones rendering woes, but i think it's a solid method that's worth adding to your arsenal. I am biased however, so again, wait for some feedback if you're unsure.

Oh, I went ahead and bought the set because I am sure you have struggled with the same interior lighting that I have. Unfortunately I can't test them yet because my PC is in a container on its way to my new home here in New Zealand. I'm told it is 2 or 3 weeks away still. Can't wait to get busy again though.

I also recently bought Painter's Lights which I have had on my wish list for some time. Again I can't play with them yet but, in your opinion, would they make a good combination with your mesh lights? Maybe for a slightly lower ambient with a highlighted figure in the room?

Thanks for picking it up marble, i truly appreciate the support, and here's to a safe transit of your rig! Three weeks? I'd go quite, quite mad.

Anyway, painters lights, yes! Since GLK lights are diffuse lights, i think it's quite important to have some sort of direct specular emittance in your scene. If you're setting up a simple room scene - i personally would have an HDRI to poke through the windows, a GLK setup for convergence and perhaps one or two mesh lights in the room itself simply for some interesting specular effects. If you get to it in a few weeks and get stuck, just let me know.

I haven't had a chance to test these out yet.  Still waiting on a render to finish that I started yesterday so I can see how they work.  The idea looks great.  I've played around with mesh lights on my own, but I think I'm missing something.  I'm really looking forward to seeing how these work out of the box.  I have a few indoor scenes that took forever on my computer to render (CPU only) that I'd love to see how these impact on the rendering times.

edit: fixed spelling

Thanks KM, be sure to drop in and let us know your findings!

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,037
    edited December 2016

Used them here: 

I had one plane, set to 200K and aimed from ceiling to floor above the figure to add more ambient lighting to the scene.  Beforehand, it was way, way too dark.  This took about 20 minutes to render on my machine.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 2016

Used them here: 

I had one plane, set to 200K and aimed from ceiling to floor above the figure to add more ambient lighting to the scene.  Beforehand, it was way, way too dark.  This took about 20 minutes to render on my machine.

Great render Darwin! looks like a very discreet setup. As kyto suggested, i've made a render thread for the product here. Could you do me a favour and repost it there? I'd really appreciate it.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • 3Ddreamer3Ddreamer Posts: 1,211

Just been playing with it and it solved an issue with a mesh light intruding into the scene :-) I added 2 more with the candle preset but when I turned them into ghosts the light effect disappeared in the room as well so I obviously have not grasped it yet. But I think these are going solve allot of interior scene lighting. :-)

• artd3Dartd3D Posts: 163

I've purchased a lot of Iray light presets, but for interior lighting this is by far the

best one I have ever purchased. I Love it!

3Ddreamer said:

Just been playing with it and it solved an issue with a mesh light intruding into the scene :-) I added 2 more with the candle preset but when I turned them into ghosts the light effect disappeared in the room as well so I obviously have not grasped it yet. But I think these are going solve allot of interior scene lighting. :-)

Hi meg, glad you're enjoying it! As for the issue, i'm not quite sure i follow you. If you're stuck can you send me a quick PM so i can help you out? I just checked the candle preset and it's not doing anything funky on my end? Just let me know :)

artd3D said:

I've purchased a lot of Iray light presets, but for interior lighting this is by far the

best one I have ever purchased. I Love it!

Awesome art! Glad you're liking it. If you want to share some results, could you post them on the render thread? Totally up to you, i could use some pals over there that's all.

• Sure thing. :) Glad you liked.

• Really looking forward to trying the lights.  One issue I hope it will help with is boosting overall light in a firelight scene.  I find that if I raise the luminance of the fire high enough to light the scene, the detail in the flames gets lost.  I've been using mesh lights but they always intrude in the set.  This is just like the problems I have in real world lighting for photos.  I'm always hiding the big softbox behind pillars, a bar, just out of view...Etc.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,476

Really looking forward to trying the lights.  One issue I hope it will help with is boosting overall light in a firelight scene.  I find that if I raise the luminance of the fire high enough to light the scene, the detail in the flames gets lost.  I've been using mesh lights but they always intrude in the set.  This is just like the problems I have in real world lighting for photos.  I'm always hiding the big softbox behind pillars, a bar, just out of view...Etc.

I don't have this kit, yet, but KA shared information about ghost lights a short while back and I used what I learned with exactly this scenario in my final entry for the Raining Men 2016 contest. There is a single poly plane between the fire and the man and horse. The bulk of the "firelight" in the scene is from the plane. I've got a light yellow color in the Emissive color parameter, and the temperature is in the 2900 to 3500 range. I tweaked the luminance of the two back and forth until I liked the amount of "firelight" in the scene while the flames still look like flames. Here's a link to the image in my Gallery: Bromance.

Thank you for the information intially, Kindred Arts. I'll be picking up the kit when the budget allows. I know how to do this on my own, but the time this will save me is well worth the investment. Especially the color and intensity presets!

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,590
    L'Adair said:

I know how to do this on my own, but the time this will save me is well worth the investment.

This is the truth about a lot of things we buy here in the DAZ store. Even if we don't use things "out of the box" and prefer to do our own tweaking, it's usually still a time saver to have a starting point just one click away. And even if we don't make renders for a living, time is still money.

Really looking forward to trying the lights.  One issue I hope it will help with is boosting overall light in a firelight scene.  I find that if I raise the luminance of the fire high enough to light the scene, the detail in the flames gets lost.  I've been using mesh lights but they always intrude in the set.  This is just like the problems I have in real world lighting for photos.  I'm always hiding the big softbox behind pillars, a bar, just out of view...Etc.

Yes, keep those flames at a high intensity, but not so high that you wash out details! I would then cover the (campfire?) with four ghost lights in a box formation and use the candlelight preset. In this case, not only will your subjects receive a nice specular effect from the primary firelight, but also a low-yield ambient fill from the GLKs. That was my intention with the set - It's not a replacement of your lighting setups, more an ambient fill. If you remember the uberenvironment in 3dl, that had an ambient setting so you could guarantee most objects had at least a modicum of ambient lighting. That's sort of what i'm trying to replicate in a round-about way. Anyway, i'm waffling! Good luck, and drop by the render thread with any results.

L'Adair and isidorn - I have indeed put the information out there in tutorial form, so it's open to everyone regardless of whether they pick up the set or not. All i've done is compress the method into a handy, time-saving set of tools. I noticed some people tend to get a bit stuck on the technical aspects, like luminosity and emission, so i'm hoping this set cuts out any learning curve (or at least most of it!). Time is indeed money after all smiley

• AllegraAllegra Posts: 405

I love these! Just gave them a run and they're so easy to use...they will make life so much easier ...so thank you for a great and very useful product :) 

Allegra said:

I love these! Just gave them a run and they're so easy to use...they will make life so much easier ...so thank you for a great and very useful product :) 

Oh you're very welcome! Thank you for your purchase :)

• Wish i had these about 8 hours ago lol. Picked up Petradons small room bundle...trying to light my subjects from window light and a couple of spot lights was giving my Vid card a run for its money, and giving my sanity a drop lol

Picked up..and ready to render sir! Lets see what i can do with these babies!

Thanks KA

Wish i had these about 8 hours ago lol. Picked up Petradons small room bundle...trying to light my subjects from window light and a couple of spot lights was giving my Vid card a run for its money, and giving my sanity a drop lol

Thanks KA

Godspeed old chap! I'm currently working on a video to actually show how i set up a scene if that's any use to you, i'll post it up in a few hours. It will end up here. Cheers!

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,144
    pds said:

I'm curious if they render slowly? I have quite a few emissive sets and they are lovely but take lots of time to render and draw

As probably single polygon meshes, these should render quite fast. The benefits of the product seem to be in adding more light to a scene to help renders "converge" faster with less noise, and easy to use (and perhaps more intuitive) presets for light output and temperature. Like many items in the store, while some people could recreate the product, many might not be able to, and for those who can, it's always a trade-off of time vs. money. With the sales price on this, I think a lot of people will be happy to buy it because they'd rather spend more time making art than building light presets. I hope it does well as KA puts out great products and supporting quality vendors is a good thing, IMO. :-)

Well you put it far more elegantly than i did pds, thank you :)

PDS has perfectly summed up why this light set is now at the number two position on my weekly shopping list (behind food but ahead of everything else). 

I want to spend  my time composing and rendering art not fiddling with lights for hours to get everything right.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Wish i had these about 8 hours ago lol. Picked up Petradons small room bundle...trying to light my subjects from window light and a couple of spot lights was giving my Vid card a run for its money, and giving my sanity a drop lol

Thanks KA

Godspeed old chap! I'm currently working on a video to actually show how i set up a scene if that's any use to you, i'll post it up in a few hours. It will end up here. Cheers!

It sure will, I have a few older sets too that wasnt able to do anything with because my Vid card fan was spinning so fast i thought it would fly out the window, luckily that didnt happen but i wasnt able to get the render complete in a decent amount of time...this will help immensly i think!

pds said:

I'm curious if they render slowly? I have quite a few emissive sets and they are lovely but take lots of time to render and draw

As probably single polygon meshes, these should render quite fast. The benefits of the product seem to be in adding more light to a scene to help renders "converge" faster with less noise, and easy to use (and perhaps more intuitive) presets for light output and temperature. Like many items in the store, while some people could recreate the product, many might not be able to, and for those who can, it's always a trade-off of time vs. money. With the sales price on this, I think a lot of people will be happy to buy it because they'd rather spend more time making art than building light presets. I hope it does well as KA puts out great products and supporting quality vendors is a good thing, IMO. :-)

Well you put it far more elegantly than i did pds, thank you :)

PDS has perfectly summed up why this light set is now at the number two position on my weekly shopping list (behind food but ahead of everything else). 

I want to spend  my time composing and rendering art not fiddling with lights for hours to get everything right.

Cheers,

Alex.

Well said Alex. It's perfectly fine if you want to tinker with lights and scene composition for hours on end, this is just another wrench in the toolbox.

Wish i had these about 8 hours ago lol. Picked up Petradons small room bundle...trying to light my subjects from window light and a couple of spot lights was giving my Vid card a run for its money, and giving my sanity a drop lol

Thanks KA

It sure will, I have a few older sets too that wasnt able to do anything with because my Vid card fan was spinning so fast i thought it would fly out the window, luckily that didnt happen but i wasnt able to get the render complete in a decent amount of time...this will help immensly i think!

Oh i know the familiar sound of gpus setting themselves ablaze! They will still do so, just not for nearly as long. I'll post an update when i have a little tutorial video up.

edited December 2016

Hey guys, just a quick update for anyone not watching the render thread. I made quick video going through my workflow and comparing HDR against GLK. If anyone is stuck or doesn't know where to start, this could be worth a watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWBK4XgTS0Y

Post edited by KindredArts on
  • MendomanMendoman Posts: 368
    edited December 2016

I swore I was through buying this month, but this was something I really wanted/needed. I made a quick test renders with Cafe Luca to see what these lights can do. I used DA Real World Lighting and Cafe Luca default lights, and rendered the first image. Then I placed ghost lights ( with neutral daylight material ) on both long window walls and rendered that one. Render time was about the same  9 minutes 30 seconds for both ( actually ghost light version was couple seconds fasters ). I've used the same method this product uses myself earlier, but with different premade materials and ease of use I think this was a good purchase.

Luca with default lights

Luca with default lights + ghost lights

luca_no_ghost_lights.jpg
    763 x 1080 - 501K
    luca_ghost_lights.jpg
    763 x 1080 - 535K
    Post edited by Mendoman on
  • MartialMartial Posts: 343

Hum  may be  i need more explication

I read all and still asking how exactly use this product bought this morning

I began to have some error message and after i see the ghost light prop ,posing it and render  and the prop was visible in the render

I think i need an steps one, step two, step 3 etc tutorial

I have seen the video but it is fast  too fast

• Did you apply the base settings, from the same folder as the lights themselves? They load visible so that you can more readily place them, once placed (or soner if you prefer) you need to apply the base settings, then optionally any presets you want to use for colour and luminance.

Martial said:

Hum  may be  i need more explication

I read all and still asking how exactly use this product bought this morning

I began to have some error message and after i see the ghost light prop ,posing it and render  and the prop was visible in the render

I think i need an steps one, step two, step 3 etc tutorial

I have seen the video but it is fast  too fast

Hey Martial, no problem, we'll figure it out. Firstly, have you seen this promo image?: (Click to enlarge)

As you can see there, that's all there is to it really. But i'll try and break it down and explain things a bit more -

1 Load you scene: I'm sure you're already fine with this.

2. Place lights: So you need to load one of the two ghost lights into the scene (Horizontal or vertical). The main purpose of these lights are to boost already existing light sources. So if you have a window in your scene, place the light next to the window (like i did in the image above). Repeat this step and place lights in front of any other pre-existing lights in the scene (like windows, lamps, bulbs etc). Since they are invisible, you can of course place them anywhere, so add them where needed.

3. Apply ghost setup: Now that your lights are placed where you want them, you need to apply the Ghost setup material to them. This is a primary setup material that dictates the opacity (makes it invisible) and engages the emission (light). This step has to be done otherwise the light wont be hidden from view.

4. Choose from a range of presets: The time of day/Artificial light presets assign a color to the lights. The intensity presets dictate how strong the lights are. Higher intensity values produce a stronger light, and lower values produce and weaker light. Choose both a time of day/Artificial light preset to suit your color needs, and an intensity preset to suit the intensity of light you need.

5. Render: You've probably got this covered.

If there is any specific step you have a problem with, let me know and i'll walk you through it. I'm not sure about the error messages you're getting, you'll have to elaborate a bit further if possible?

• MartialMartial Posts: 343

Many thanks KinderArts

I think i got it now

Martial said:

Many thanks KinderArts

I think i got it now

No problem, glad to help. smiley

• Thanks very much for the product,instructions, and Youtube Video. yes

I am very happy with it. Like others, I struggled with lighting. This make it much easier. 

Squonk_99 said:

Thanks very much for the product,instructions, and Youtube Video. yes

I am very happy with it. Like others, I struggled with lighting. This make it much easier. 

No problem Squonk, thank you for the purchase smiley

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,568

What's funny is that I was just reflecting on how much I like AoA Ambient light in 3DL and the ability to diffusely light areas of the scene.

What's funny is that I was just reflecting on how much I like AoA Ambient light in 3DL and the ability to diffusely light areas of the scene.

I hear you timmy, i had the full AOA suite. I even picked up some of the experimental stuff from omni, just so i could *try* and fake GI.