MASSIVE Genesis .car files

WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,938
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

has anyone else noticed .car files using Genesis are MASSIVE!!

I mean Jack Tomalins dream house fully loaded with furniture, trimmings and two Michael 4s animated is about 1GB uncompressed
but
Just two Genesis figure in clothes >2GB!!
7 of the blighters was 4GB+ and took an hour to save!!!

Comments

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

has anyone else noticed .car files using Genesis are MASSIVE!!

I mean Jack Tomalins dream house fully loaded with furniture, trimmings and two Michael 4s animated is about 1GB uncompressed
    but
    Just two Genesis figure in clothes >2GB!!
    7 of the blighters was 4GB+ and took an hour to save!!!

Saved locally or internally?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,938
    edited December 1969

I will have to check but I use the same as my other projects which loads textures and such from my runtime not the .car file.

edited December 1969

Base Genesis or with a lot of added morphs? Another thing to check would be nekkid Genesis, Vs. Clothed Genesis. Maybe that new fangled auto-fit-whatsit adds geometry to the clothes?

edited December 1969

clothed, that seems to be part of the issue

edited December 1969

what file sizes are others getting?

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Carrara may be saving a format that contains ALL morph information for each figure.... I think I read that saving M4/V4 internally would do that...

Also the maps just keep getting bigger and bigger.... Maybe the weight-painting "maps" are being saved internally too?

edited December 1969

0k, but then again I'm using version 7. :down:

edited December 1969

I really need to resolve this as 4GB+ files are never going to work on my FAT external drive and if I want to use Genesis in Carrara, I need to be able to save projects.
    as it is, I often need to unconform and reconform the clothes in the saved projects as they go wonky.
    I see a lot of posts in the forum about Genesis but not a lot of actual use, I am using it.
    or rather trying to???

edited December 1969

I know you're not going to like this, but it's a beta. To rely on it for anything besides testing is insane. Don't take it personally, I say this to everybody that relies on beta software for mission critical applications.

If you consider this a possible bug, then test it. Create a scene with the basic Genesis, and then add your morphs and save it, then add you clothes and save it, if you change the textures, save it. See where the file size explodes. You could also check it with a V4/M4 and repeat the Genesis steps as much as possible. Who knows, maybe there's a bug where the beta isn't flushing out textures and geometry when the Remove Unused.. functions are used?

edited December 1969

yes it is ONLY Genesis, each Genesis figure effectively adds 500 000 kb to a scene
    I know it is beta
    but if no-one asks questions how can they fix it?

edited December 2012

BTW ended up deleting my 4GB+ files as not my type error occurs, under 4GB ones open, FAT drive related I guess

I have notice a cumulative effect, newer Genesis figures with more morphs produce bigger files than older ones
    I like Facegen and Genesis but at this point I have started to do my Genesis animation increasingly in iClone with only Carrara closeup lipsync cut scenes, tried Studio but for animation just renders too slow.

oh
    and do not BOTHER saving .duf files as .car files!!
    the .duf's IF they load, work well, infact setting up characters in studio a good idea but do NOT try to SAVE them!!
    might work if you are lucky but HUGE saves!!

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • jrm21jrm21 Posts: 140
    edited December 1969

Not that I'm an expert, but I am not seeing files sizes anywhere near that large.

Mac OS, C 8.5.172

Example 1:
    Full Carrara scene - file size 145.5MB (which I thought was pretty large)
    -default light+camera
    -Michael 5
    -Several M3/M4 clothing item attached with built-in auto fit. (Pants, hat, shirt, vest, boots, belt, gun belt and gun)
    -Several face "morphs" (not sure if I am using that term correctly. What I mean is that I altered the face with several of the sliders
    - I believe that the "save external" choice is active

Example 2:
    Michael 5 setup dragged to "My Objects" browser pane - 32.2MB
    -Michael 5
    -Several face "morphs"
    -Pants and shirt originally built for M3 or M4

Example 3:
    Victoria 5 setup dragged to "My Objects" browser pane - 19.6MB
    -PH Bubblegum hair applied to figure with shader for that hair
    -no clothes (didn't get that far yet)

Example 4:
    Victoria 5 setup dragged to "My Objects" browser pane - 10.9MB
    -Tori preset applied
    -Hampton Hair (genesis) applied to figure with shader for that hair
    -no clothes (didn't get that far yet)

Hope this info helps

BTW - on a totally unrelated note... If I pose a figure by moving the parts in the main window, "Undo" does not work properly. For example, click on the head and drag it anywhere. The head (and attached parts) will move. Now click "undo." A small part of the figure will move slightly, but the rest stays in the distorted position.

• JoeMamma2000JoeMamma2000 Posts: 2,615
    edited December 1969

I know you're not going to like this, but it's a beta. To rely on it for anything besides testing is insane. Don't take it personally, I say this to everybody that relies on beta software for mission critical applications.

You're right, don't take it personally...

Because that's one of those things that, on the surface, sounds like a really good idea....until you think about it a little.

What you're suggesting is that people do double the work. When you work on 'important' scenes you use 8.1. But you never put those scenes in 8.5 beta, cuz once you do and modify them you'll probably never get them back into 8.1.

Which means you need to develop scenes solely for 8.5. Because you want to test 8.5 and run it thru all its paces. Which means you want to make some serious scenes in 8.5. But they have to be 'throw away' scenes, not 'mission critical', because, using your logic, it's insane to do anything else.

So you need to work on important scenes in 8.1, then generate and work on 'throw away' scenes in 8.5. And you work for a few hours on important stuff, then shut down 8.1 and work for a few more hours testing 8.5.

And since 8.5 has been dragging on for over a year, you should have been doing that double duty for the last year and a half.

Sorry, THAT is insane.

What makes far more sense is to test 8.5's limits and make sure you work within them. And do testing and 'critical' stuff at the same time. And if you run into a roadblock and absolutely can't get what you want done in 8.5, then do it in 8.1. But there's no reason to forsake a perfectly good beta if it's getting you what you want.

Because using 'real' scenes is the only way you'll put it thru your 'real' workflow. And save early and often. That's far more efficient than trying to manage and work with duplicate scenes in two different apps for a year and a half. Unless of course you have all the time in the world.

edited December 1969

And by the way, if it's any consolation....

Professional artists in many of the big VFX studios, where they use a lot of their own in-house developed software, go thru the same pains. Basically, an artist (or supervisor, or whomever) tells the developer "hey, I'm working on this shot, and it sure would be awesome if you could cook up this little routine for me..."

And the developer does his thing, and the artist tests it out, and if it works, great. If not, the developer fixes it. In effect, the artist is working with the latest beta on his CG blockbuster. It's just one of those things you need to learn to manage. If you need to finish your shot by next Friday because the schedule says so or else everyone will be furious, you really don't have time to spend a year beta testing. You do what you gotta do.

• 3DAGE3DAGE Posts: 3,311
    edited December 1969

Firstly .. the beta testing process is a Voluntary agreement,.. nobody is being forced to use the beta 8.5

If you choose to download and test the beta,. it should be to find any faults, and report them,.

As a Beta,. it's not recommended that you use it for any "real work" where you're getting paid and working to deadlines.
    since it's more likely to crash or have other issues that a "production release"

we're not talking about high end studio's with developers on hand to custom code specific routines as the animator requests them.

We're talking about the current release of a Beta development software. and whether it's "Wise" to be using that for paid production work.

EXAMPLE :
    What if you do some work for a client,. and a few weeks later they want a change,. but during that time the beta version you're using has been changed and now things work differently or don't work as they did,.. what do you tell your client.

it's not insane,.. but it's unprofessional and irresponsible.

• ManStanManStan Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I just checked and yes that is quite weird. Genesis3 is my presaved genesis for carrara; has the iconic shapes. It's 11meg. Then I have genaSis, a female shaped genesis with out the iconic shapes in a bikini and hair at 218meg. What the??????

• wetcircuitwetcircuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

ManStan said:
    I just checked and yes that is quite weird. Genesis3 is my presaved genesis for carrara; has the iconic shapes. It's 11meg. Then I have genaSis, a female shaped genesis with out the iconic shapes in a bikini and hair at 218meg. What the??????

That must be SOME bikini...
    edited December 1969

THX for the input jrm21 and ManStan, what I needed to know,
    I must have another issue going on to get such large projects

edited December 1969

3DAGE said:
    EXAMPLE :
    What if you do some work for a client,. and a few weeks later they want a change,. but during that time the beta version you're using has been changed and now things work differently or don't work as they did,.. what do you tell your client.

I know I'll never convince you otherwise, but I'll give it one try...

What you do is USE YOUR BRAIN. Like I said, you figure out the beta's limits and work around them. Just because 2% of the code is being modified for a certain release doesn't mean that the entire application is going to explode if you use it. You've been using 8.5 for almost a year and half. How many times has it exploded all over your desk, ruining all of your scenes?

For me, it has given me a somewhat usable and useful cloth feature, as well as some tools I didn't have before, find very useful, and have no issues whatsoever (memorize/restore).

If you're going to rely on some of the beta features, you recognize there might be problems with them and PLAN FOR IT. Either that or do twice the work, like you're suggesting, which is fine with me if you want to do that, but it seems a bit silly.

it's not insane,.. but it's unprofessional and irresponsible.

Oh, please, that's just ridiculous. If you are a professional, running a business, and you waste hours upon hours over a year and a half, doing free work for DAZ testing betas, and spend all of that time on 'throw away' scenes, not real work, you need to have your head examined. A smart professional uses the tools that are available, recognizes their limits, works around them as necessary, and spends his time making money, not doing free work.

edited December 1969

Joe, why are you posting this here?
    unless you have some insight into my saved file size issue
    (presumably through your use of Genesis in the beta)
    could you perhaps discus that flogged to death subject at greater length in one of the other threads you have already raised it in and leave this thread for discussion of Genesis in the beta and file sizes which is why I started it.
    To help resolve my issues.
    find out if others have it
    whether it is a bug or unique to my machine etc

edited December 1969

Joe, why are you posting this here?

Evil raised the issue, not me. Get angry at him.

Andy joined in, equally verbose as I have been. Get angry at him.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,249
    edited December 1969

Mine (I don't have many... yet) are ranging from 19 Mb to just under 200 Mb.
    Oh... my Orcs are each 18.2 Mb
    However, all of mine are saved to local settings - I switched to that after finding the same issues, except prior to Genesis.

Slightly off the subject, Wendy, how is Genesis working out for you otherwise? Have you messed with it much?

edited December 1969

I save to local ALWAYS
    Yes it mostly works fine, sometimes smart content stuffs up Carrara though, I find going via content or import safer
    saving is the issue
    some work others not, esp if dragged to object browser, better saved to file and imported

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Hi Wendy:)

Getting back on track with file sizes...

I'm also getting what the others reported.

Stark bollekers nekkid basic genesis female, 4 second anim done in Studio, simple series of poses. DUF flie 161Kb - saved as .car 4.75 Mb. Added jacket, pants and hair 72.6 Mb.

V4, same anim without clothing 15.4 mb, with same clothing (not fitted because it won't) 10.8 mb -really strange, that!

So it seems that the autofit is the guilty party for inflating file size. Your massive file sizes are really strange and worth reporting.

Cheers:)

edited December 1969

That sounds right. The bikini and hair both went through auto fit. Removing both of them brought the file down to 6meg. That is just ludicrous. There is no way that bikini and hair would have added 212meg to the scene.

edited December 1969

my figures DO have a lot of autofitted clothing and hair and you can refit it so maybe it stores all the info.
    also I have facegen
    the facegen morphs themselves not big files but maybe it all adds to the data needed for autofit.
    I find saving loaded from studio .duf files to content browser worse than loaded into Carrara figures.

edited December 2012

Odd thing, even though there is little in the scene and everything in scene is used, removing unused dropped it to 99meg :ohh:

Post edited by ManStan on