Needing a snow-covered Xmas tree/fir tree (or directions to a Bryce tut)

RangerJimKRangerJimK Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Bryce Discussion

I'm working on a Christmas card for some of my military buds, and I need a snow-covered conically shaped tree (or a pointer to a Bryce tutorial on how to make one and cover it with snow).

I wouldn't mind some "Foley trees" for the background, but I need some 3d trees for the foreground.

Thanks

Jim

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Moved to the Bryce forum because it is a request for, not an offer of, a freebie. Someone here may have some ideas.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Here you go

It's the one I used in this render, though I added my own decorations, the snow is already on it as a separate mesh so you can recolour it or remove it as you wish.

BearTree2.jpg
    800 x 520 - 232K
  • bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

here's a free tree and other stuff -
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/13287/

• RangerJimKRangerJimK Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Thanks to both of y'alll. This is going to be a tree farm so with two, I can do a lot of tweeking.

JIm

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 2012

One fir tree looks much like an other fir tree. You'll only need to rotate them a bit each time to give them a slightly different profile and maybe alter the size a few percent.
    Ideally, you could use the Instance Lab to do all that for you, but if you try, remember to save your work at each stage as the IL can be a bit unstable.

Also, with the tree I linked to, the fir needles are separate from the branches and the snow, so you can select the needle mesh and alter the colour in the material lab, maybe making the smaller trees a lighter green colour.

Post edited by Dave Savage on
  • RangerJimKRangerJimK Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

One fir tree looks much like an other fir tree. You'll only need to rotate them a bit each time to give them a slightly different profile and maybe alter the size a few percent.
    Ideally, you could use the Instance Lab to do all that for you, but if you try, remember to save your work at each stage as the IL can be a bit unstable.

Also, with the tree I linked to, the fir needles are separate from the branches and the snow, so you can select the needle mesh and alter the colour in the material lab, maybe making the smaller trees a lighter green colour.

Thanks, i'll give that a try. And I shall be honest - as a novice, I seriously doubt if I'd have thought about instancing.

Regardless, I'll post it in the WIP section as soon as I get a preliminary scene set up.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

Thanks, i'll give that a try. And I shall be honest - as a novice, I seriously doubt if I'd have thought about instancing.

Regardless, I'll post it in the WIP section as soon as I get a preliminary scene set up.

Well if the goal is a tree farm then you pretty much would have to use instancing to accomplish it as bryce is rather limited by today's standards on how much memory it can use. If you were to load the scene with a sufficient number of individual tree objects to constitute a tree farm then you'ld likely run into memory usage problems at some point. The instancing lab can give you the large number of trees though without the memory overhead of loading that many individual trees. What TheSavage64 said about the instancing lab being unstable to a degree is true but I think alot of the reported instability is a lack of understanding on how to use the Instancing lab and to help minimize that Rashad Carter has developed a tutorial of sorts that can be found here http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3381/

He used the Instancing Lab to create the scene below so I think a tree farm should be very doable.

Alpine_Valley.jpg
    800 x 533 - 249K