Windows 8 & old installers

buck415buck415 Posts: 57

Hi. I recently upgraded to Windows 8, and am now unable to install a product with an older installer.

I just re-downloaded Fantasy Book ( 281_1_FantasyBook.exe ) and am unable to install it.

The installer gets as far as the attached image, but that's it.

fantasy-book.jpg
389 x 239 - 12K

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

There a number of people using Win 8 now though no officail support for Win 8 has been mentioned by Daz3d. Have you filed a Support Ticket directed to the Tech department?

• buck415buck415 Posts: 57
    edited December 1969

Nope.

• MachieltjeMachieltje Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

If you want to run older installers under win8 you need to run them while logged in as Administrator in compatibility mode. The admin account in windows is disabled by default but at least on the pro and enterprise versions it can still be enabled.

• buck415buck415 Posts: 57
    edited December 1969

If you want to run older installers under win8 you need to run them while logged in as Administrator in compatibility mode. The admin account in windows is disabled by default but at least on the pro and enterprise versions it can still be enabled.

And that response is an excellent reason why I didn't file a bug report... why wait 2+ weeks for a response when I can post a note here?

:-)

I just installed Windows 8 Pro the other day and haven't had time to figure out how to use it yet. Your reply is very helpful.

Thank you.

• MachieltjeMachieltje Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

buck415 said:

And that response is an excellent reason why I didn't file a bug report... why wait 2+ weeks for a response when I can post a note here?

I just installed Windows 8 Pro the other day and haven't had time to figure out how to use it yet. Your reply is very helpful.

Thank you.

You're welcome, please beware though: it might seem easier to just run Win8 as admin all the time but for safety reasons I would strongly advise against it. In fact I've been running windows as a "normal" user since Win vista. It's a pain when you want to install stuff or modify settings but it's way more secure.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,173
    edited December 1969

buck415 said:

I'm beginning to believe that the long time for responses from trouble tickets is because they wait to see what answers appear on the forums before they answer the trouble tickets. Saves a lot of thinking.

• LindseyLindsey Posts: 1,984
    edited December 2012

I ran into a few of these installers. What worked for me:

1. Select the Installer file and Right Click and select "Troubleshoot compatibility"
    2. On the next screen select "Try recommended settings"
    3. Next screen, click on "Test the program.." button and the installer should launch as expected.
    4. Proceed with normal installation from there.

This is just my recollection and trying it on a DAZ installer that isn't broken as I don't remember the few, probably two or three, that I had problems with. The steps should be pretty close to what you will see...

Post edited by Lindsey on
  • RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

I had the same issue with the Gen 4 Base installers.

The way I got them to work was to right click the installer, under Compatibility I checked the box under Compatibility mode and told it to run in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and it worked fine when I did so.

CHEERS!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Rogerbee said:

I had the same issue with the Gen 4 Base installers.

The way I got them to work was to right click the installer, under Compatibility I checked the box under Compatibility mode and told it to run in compatibility mode for Windows 7 and it worked fine when I did so.

CHEERS!

Funny...on Win7 I had to use XP for the 'compatible OS'...but never did get the V4.2 installer to work on ANYTHING but a real XP install...so I installed it to a dummy folder on a flash drive and manually transferred it. That's another option for older installers, if the various OS tricks don't work...install to external media in an OS that does and manually transfer the files.

• RogerbeeRogerbee Posts: 4,460
    edited December 1969

I can only go by what worked for me. I never had any trouble installing base characters in XP or 7. Mind you, that was only installing them in Poser, DS, for all I know, could be a different ball game. Some Daz installers didn't like anything that wasn't called Poser.exe so I had to create a ghost one in order to get them to work.

I'm planning on getting DS 4.5 in the next few days/weeks, so I'll see what fun I have then!

CHEERS!