trying to install 4.5

larrygilmanlarrygilman Posts: 94
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

I hope I have the right forum, if not please redirect me to the proper group.

First off I am a newbe, I have been trying unsuccessfully to reinstall DAZ 3D 4.5 all evening, using instructions I printed off the Knowledge Base from help://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/20659227, called Content Configuration.The install went OK before I followed the instructions.
What started this whole mess, I was not seeing most of the stuff I thought I was installing, be it people, props, or background, most noteably Victoria 4.2. At present I am getting the error in the attached picture.

The instructions say; "...the install path and the configuration path should match up exactly." Am I misunderstanding the instructions as I am setting the location of my files to be the same as the Content Manager ?? It is 1:15a and I am not communicating very clearly

Comments

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

Sadsaytr said:

First off I am a newbe, I have been trying unsuccessfully to reinstall DAZ 3D 4.5 all evening, using instructions I printed off the Knowledge Base from help://helpdaz.zendesk.com/entries/20659227, called Content Configuration.The install went OK before I followed the instructions.
    What started this whole mess, I was not seeing most of the stuff I thought I was installing, be it people, props, or background, most noteably Victoria 4.2. At present I am getting the error in the attached picture.

The instructions say; "...the install path and the configuration path should match up exactly." Am I misunderstanding the instructions as I am setting the location of my files to be the same as the Content Manager ?? It is 1:15a and I am not communicating very clearly

did you look at this -
    http://daz.tall-tales-racing.com/resources/tut/basics/B2B_Wn7_DS4_install.htm

• JimmyC_2009JimmyC_2009 Posts: 8,891
    edited December 1969

Sadsaytr said:

The mian application is a completely seperate install from the free content which is supplied with it.

You don't say what OS you are using, so I will assume Windows of some kind. Install the program (main application) into Program Files for the 64 bit version, OR Program Files (x86) for the 32 bit version.

The default location for installing ALL content is C:\Users\\Documents\DAZ 3D\Studio\My Library. You MUST install the Genesis Starter Essentials file, as it contains all of the free content, including Genesis, that comes with DS 4.5 You should NOT install content into the Program Files area.

• larrygilmanlarrygilman Posts: 94
    edited December 2012

Thank you "bigh" and "JimmyC" for the quick responce. After looking at the link "...daz.tale-tales-racing..." and what you are saying, JimmyC, that the CMS does belong in the Program Files and the Content goes into my home folder. And just to be on the same page, Content in this case is the props, people, background, etc.??

Post edited by larrygilman on
    edited December 1969

Yes, content is anything that is not part of the application (program), props, figures textures etc. that you install to work with the program.

See how you get on with that, and let us know if you manage OK.

edited December 1969

Will do and THANKS again!!!

edited December 1969

It has been quite a trip. I have started over at least 10 times, including 6 low level formats. When I use the defaults I get errors when the deepest folders are created. One thing I noticed about my install(s) is that the default starting point is "C:\users\Larry\Documents\...". If I change the default starting point to C:\users\Larry\My Documents\..." the install will fail every darn time. If I create a different default folder to install content to at the same tree level as DAZ does then there is no problem.

So this last go around I created root folders called DAZ 3D and CMS. The install went well, then I installed the Genesis Starter Essentials and that worked. Then I started installing, mostly people, that were specificly DAZ compatable, being very careful to install to C:\DAZ 3D\ and some of the older files went to C:\DAZ 3D\Studio. By Daz compatible, I mean Victoria 5, Stephanie 5, Victoria 4.5.
    The problem(s) were that DAZ would not see most of what I put in. Victoria 5 and Stephanie 5 Showed up in Smart Content. Victoria 4.5, Victoria 4, DAZ_Sabby-Debra_Genesis, just to name a few did not.
    I finally gave up adding things and decided to play with DAZ, lo and behold...NOT, the default genesis figure did not show. To add injury to insult, there was nothing at all in Smart content.

At this point I don't know whether to start over again, or try to reinstall what I just finished installing. Is Content Management System sensitive about where it is placed.

ANY idea what I am doing wrong. I am trying to install to a gaming laptop. Specificly an Alienware M18x r2, with windows 7 Pro, 16 gig of RAM, Intel i7 CPU, with two physical hard drives. A 500g and a 1 terabyte. I did not install the Alien specific drivers on the last format / install I did. The missing drivers do not effect Windows, specially since it fails with or with out the Alien drivers.

edited December 1969

One of the problems that you are having is due to what figures are in DAZ format, and which are not, and how they are used.

Victoria 5 and Stephanie 5 are not stand-alone figures, they are in fact morphs of Genesis, and they need to be installed into the same location as Genesis, in your case 'DAZ 3D'. Up until Genesis was released, ALL DAZ 3D figures were in Poser format, V4, M4, V3, M3 etc etc. When these pre-Genesis figures are installed into your 'DAZ 3D' folder, the installer should create a folder called 'Runtime' which is where DS looks for it's Poser content files.

The default name for the new Content folder is My Library. Using DS3, the My Library folder was in fact called 'Content', and if you allow the installer to create a 'Content' folder inside your 'My Library' folder, it can lead to problems. You have to do one or the other. Either call your content folder 'Content' OR 'My Library', or if you do not want to have another folder inside DAZ 3D, just make sure that everything is installed to it, and NOT DAZ 3D/Content, or DAZ 3D/My Library etc.

I would recommend you to create a folder called 'My Library' insdie your DAZ 3D folder, and install EVERYTHING in there, making sure that the path that you give the installer ends with 'My Library', that way everything will end up in the correct place. Poser content will be installed to My Library/Runtime, and DS content will go into the appropriate DS folders. Just make sure that the install path ALWAYS finished at My Library, and not any sub-folder of it.

You should be able to find any installed Poser stuff by going to the Content Library pane (NOT Smart Content), select Poser Formats > My Library > Figures etc to find the installed content.

Smart Content relies upon the CMS to be running as a process in order to display anything in Smart Content, and it also needs the object to have MetaData associated with it. A lot of the older products which were made in Poser format do NOT have Metadata, so they wont show up in Smart Content anyway.

See if that helps for now.